Alleged UFC Fighter Shoots 8 People In San Antonio

Is the fact that he is a UFC fighter disputed?

"Alleged UFC Fighter Shoots 8 People In San Antonio"

The article headline said "Man Claiming to be a UFC fighter"
People can claim anything, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.
How many times have you heard "Man Claiming to be a police officer" and it turns out to be false.
Until it's proven, it's only alleged.

Is the fact that he is a UFC fighter disputed?

"Alleged UFC Fighter Shoots 8 People In San Antonio"
At first glance, I agreed with you. Then I actually read the article, and Zappa is correct. He IS allegedly a UFC fighter.

Maybe it should read:

"Alleged UFC Fighter Allegedly Shoots 8 People In San Antonio"

Maybe it should read:

If we're going full grammar Nazi, let me help:

"Claimed UFC fighter alleged to have shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

Or, if the active voice is preferable:

"Claimed UFC fighter possibly shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

If trying to keep the allegedly:

"Claimed UFC fighter allegedly shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

Using "alleged" twice in a sentence is repetitious. Also, the article's headline in the present, rather than past, tense, which is grammatically incorrect, but the editor or author likely used it to gain attention.

If we're going full grammar Nazi, let me help:

"Claimed UFC fighter alleged to have shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

Or, if the active voice is preferable:

"Claimed UFC fighter possibly shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

If trying to keep the allegedly:

"Claimed UFC fighter allegedly shot eight people in San Antonio, TX."

Using "alleged" twice in a sentence is repetitious. Also, the article's headline in the present, rather than past, tense, which is grammatically incorrect, but the editor or author likely used it to gain attention.

Bring it to the attention of the "Repetition Department of Repetition". There's nothing grammatically incorrect about repetition aside from the fact that you don't like it.

As for the tense, yes, it's technically incorrect, but that is industry standard in the news world. Your argument is with every news agency in existence, not me.

Bring it to the attention of the "Repetitive Department of Repetition". There's nothing grammatically incorrect about repetition aside from the fact that you don't like it.

As for the tense, yes, it's technically incorrect, but that is industry standard in the news world. Your argument is with every news agency in existence, not me.

Your sentence had two faults: (1) repetition; and (2) incorrect tense. They're objective faults, not something I "don't like."

At first glance, I agreed with you. Then I actually read the article, and Zappa is correct. He IS allegedly a UFC fighter.

Maybe it should read:

Allegedly-black-woman_1000x.png

Wow, some serious tough talking here...

“don't you know who I am? I'm a UFC fighter from California”

That up there with ...

“you don’t know me”

and

“I drive a dodge stratusssss!!”

Odd that he said "Im a UFC fighter from CA" and not "Im So-and-So. A UFC fighter". Its odd he left out his name and odd he felt compelled to say what state he's from.

Back
Top Bottom