Allowing .22's at USPSA or IDPA matches?

IPSC has been around since the mid 70's. IDPA, the 80's. Plenty of new shooters including women, children and handicapped have participated in these shooting sports and have followed the written rules to do so. These shooting games are intended to increase your shooting abilities. Learn to shoot with a .22 at your own range, on your own time. when you are ready to step up to a .38 or a 9mm, get comfortable with that then come to a USPSA or IDPA match and shoot, I'm sure they would love to have and help you!

Hamar

Dan,

Hoping to bring her to HSC next week with me.

TY43215,

I didn't say anything about changing the rules. Letting someone shoot for no score doesn't affect you in the slightest. Having the occasional person shoot a .22 for no score as an intro to USPSA really shouldn't be a big deal.

To allow someone to shoot a USPSA or IDPA match with equipment that violates the rules is a big deal. Did you not hear Mr. Amidon when he told the group at New Bedford the rules are the rules? I have felt that way as long as I have played the game.

As Dan S wrote, hold an intro course or I could echo what HAMAR has written. He had a very accomplished Junior Shooter that played well within the rules. Miss you both at matches Hal :)

As for the two that I mentioned, yes, banned. As much as I enjoy them both and they would have had a great addition to this thread, when you don't play by the stated rules, you don't play.

Been following this thread and use a 22 for training but regarding competition - this from the rule book:

PRINCIPLES of USPSA Competitions

2. Accuracy, power (emphasis added) and speed are the equivalent elements of practical shooting
and practical competition must be conducted in such a way as to evaluate
these elements equally.

I firmly believe that .22 is great for training and whatever informal matches there are, but I do not think it is correct to use that in the official USPSA matches. On the other hand - it does happen, NB rifle match in the past had some new shooters with .22 once.

No, they did not have much advantage.

Then take her to practice with you, and maybe some other folks too. Many youngsters and ladies, and even handicapped people shoot the games just the way they are intended and with the rules intact. Look at Katie Harris, she won the USPSA Multigun title in Tactical Optics and High Lady, she's 17 and weighs maybe 100 pounds. If the desire to compete is there, they will compete within the rules.

Well stated Dan!

we'll agree to disagree then.

At today's match here in VA, we had a 12 year old girl shooting a Glock 34, slowly but otherwise pretty well - and a 16 or 17 year old girl who schooled everyone in the squad.

Those who haven't shot much should get familiar with guns on a .22 - however they shouldn't be bringing the .22s to USPSA events IMO as matches really do require a certain amount of minimal competency including the handling of 9mm handguns.

My wife has been talking about wanting to shoot USPSA but IMO I think she'd feel more comfortable using a .22 the first time around. I'm hoping to get her to come to HSC practices with me in the meantime but personally I'm all for letting people shoot (no score) if it gives more people access to the sport. I can see someone wanting to try it with a .22, realizing how fun it is, and then coming back with a regulation gun and shooting for score. The same thing would apply for youngsters disabled, or just newer shooters - the more people we can get involved the better for the sport.

Bring her to Harvard Wed's night, I will spend time with her..

I wonder if we can revisit this topic now that ammo has tripled in price? Mrs. Atlantis decided she wanted to get into IDPA as well. So now between practice at the range, and two shooters shooting ~2 matches a week, the stockpile is draining faster than I can afford to refill it. We obviously take full advantage of .22 at the range for practice, but it would be nice to be able to shoot an occasional match with it as well.

I wonder if we can revisit this topic now that ammo has tripled in price? Mrs. Atlantis decided she wanted to get into IDPA as well. So now between practice at the range, and two shooters shooting ~2 matches a week, the stockpile is draining faster than I can afford to refill it. We obviously take full advantage of .22 at the range for practice, but it would be nice to be able to shoot an occasional match with it as well.

For the last two months we've allowed competitors to run .22's in our IDPA and USPSA matches because so many people have said that they don't have ammo to shoot the match.

{Let's leave aside the "fail to plan, plan to fail" and "you should have seen that coming and stockpiled" comments because that doesn't help us help these shooters.}

.22's start from low ready, reloads are done from the belt, (or your pocket if you don't have mag carriers), and scores DO NOT COUNT for USPSA/IDPA. We've got a bunch of competent ROs, and if the competitor has to come to the line with a bagged gun because they don't have a holster, we deal with it.

My MD's position on this is that he'd rather have people shooting, and if .22 is all they've got - then we'll let them shoot .22 as long as it's a Tier 1 match.

For the last two months we've allowed competitors to run .22's in our IDPA and USPSA matches because so many people have said that they don't have ammo to shoot the match.

{Let's leave aside the "fail to plan, plan to fail" and "you should have seen that coming and stockpiled" comments because that doesn't help us help these shooters.}

.22's start from low ready, reloads are done from the belt, (or your pocket if you don't have mag carriers), and scores DO NOT COUNT for USPSA/IDPA. We've got a bunch of competent ROs, and if the competitor has to come to the line with a bagged gun because they don't have a holster, we deal with it.

My MD's position on this is that he'd rather have people shooting, and if .22 is all they've got - then we'll let them shoot .22 as long as it's a Tier 1 match.

This is great to hear. I will see what the local admins think.

Personally, a G44 fits all the same gear as my G19, so other than knockdowns on steel targets, and obviously recoil, it's a perfect substitution.

Also the SR22 is a pretty decent little platform with holsters and mag carriers.

This is great to hear. I will see what the local admins think.

Personally, a G44 fits all the same gear as my G19, so other than knockdowns on steel targets, and obviously recoil, it's a perfect substitution.

Also the SR22 is a pretty decent little platform with holsters and mag carriers.

Ah, sorry, forgot to include this: STEEL MUST FALL. We don't care if you're shooting it with a .22; that's your problem to solve. We calibrate it to a .380, (when we calibrate it).

Ah, sorry, forgot to include this: STEEL MUST FALL. We don't care if you're shooting it with a .22; that's your problem to solve. We calibrate it to a .380, (when we calibrate it).

Does this pretty much mean you need to put a shot on it, then run up and kick it? Or do people just dump 4-5 rapid shots into it and get it down? I haven't had a chance to play with that but I'd imagine you could push it down with enough lead on target?

Does this pretty much mean you need to put a shot on it, then run up and kick it? Or do people just dump 4-5 rapid shots into it and get it down? I haven't had a chance to play with that but I'd imagine you could push it down with enough lead on target?

The smaller steel hasn't been an issue. The larger poppers, particularly those that active swingers - if you can't knock it down - that's too bad. We're not going to re-design stages to facilitate .22's, we're allowing people to shoot the stages with .22's. And not for score. So, you get to "practice" on the stage with your .22, but if you can't knock the steel down - that's your problem.

It's a balancing act.

I'd have no problem with it like for what allen-1 is talking about. Right now ammo is so hard to get it might be the only way to have a match pretty soon.

You would have to hit the steel near the top to have any chance of knocking it down

If none of it is for official results anyways, I don't see why it wouldn't be sporting to shoot it a few times, if it doesn't drop, holster, go kick it down, run back, draw, continue?

You would loose more points for the time you took to go knock it down than the penalty for the miss if you couldn't,t knock it down with a couple of shots. Your best bet would be to engage the steel and move on regardless of what happens.

You would loose more points for the time you took to go knock it down than the penalty for the miss if you couldn't,t knock it down with a couple of shots. Your best bet would be to engage the steel and move on regardless of what happens.

wins worst post of the necro thread revival.
The argument here is for allowing 22 shooters to shoot for no score....

wins worst post of the necro thread revival.
The argument here is for allowing 22 shooters to shoot for no score....

Really not trying to have any sort of argument at all lol. Just figured I'd post in an old thread not start a new one.

But yes, I agree, with how flat a 22 shoots in terms of recoil, no way should the scores count unless there is a specific .22 division. I was thinking more along the lines of falling steel targets that actuate the rest of the range.

This is the problem. No holsters, no mag carriers, not enough mags, greater chance of misfires.

If they can't handle a .38 or 9mm, then chances are they don't have the experience working with a holster, and that's where the real danger lies. I would not allow it if I was match director. Send them to steel challenge.

I’m not sure it’s as much a ‘can’t handle 9mm’ as much as it is a ‘I can’t afford 9mm at .50+ cents per freaking round‘ issue. Maybe?

edit- I got necro’d and just responded to a 6 year old post. Attention to detail kids, mine is currently lacking.

Yes I relieze that 22 shooters wouldn't be officially scored, but I was going on the assumption that there would be some sort of not officially entered scoring metric. Other wise you,d have a bunch of 22 shooters that have nothing to measure their performance against including other 22 shooters, making it no different than setting up a bunch of random targets in a pit. ( I was being nice instead of saying that when you can't knock down a popper with a 22 it doesn't sound like the best idea to then run down range and knock it down with your hand and then run back to the shooting area)

With almost every single club using Practiscore, there is no "sub minor" power factor for USPSA or IDPA. So, those shooting rimfire shouldn't even show up in the results. If there is enough interest in Covid practical shooting, why not run a match strictly for rimfire? There are rimfire steel targets available, Midway now carries 1/2 size USPSA targets.
This could start a whole new game. Kind of like the .22LR version of P.R.S.
Just a thought.
I know, someone needs to step up and run them.

With almost every single club using Practiscore, there is no "sub minor" power factor for USPSA or IDPA. So, those shooting rimfire shouldn't even show up in the results. If there is enough interest in Covid practical shooting, why not run a match strictly for rimfire? There are rimfire steel targets available, Midway now carries 1/2 size USPSA targets.
Just a thought.
I think that is a great idea, using smaller targets.
Would also make it easier to do multi gun since almost everyone owns a 10/22 and a .22 handgun.

I think it would be cool for the .22LR PRS matches. Have a combined stage where the first half is USPSA style (.22LR handgun) and end with PRS.

Just a thought.

Like walls of steel, for .22

Edit to add, theres also Rimfire Challenge which either is, or was, an nssf program.
Rimfire only steel challenge, but more outlaw with 6 to 8 plates. The hardcore ones run 2 shoot boxes- one for pistol , one for rifle. Same stage, boxes at different distances.
Never really took off around here, but its out there.

I agree that if you want to compete with a 22 steel challenge is a great option

Agreed. Going to join in on the Steel Challenge at Worcester Pistol and Rifle this Saturday. Will be shooting 22 Browning Buckmark Camper as I do have a decent supply of 22. Not that I haven't stockpiled 9mm, but replacing it via purchase or reloading is still tough. Plus, I can still shoot 22 all day long for much less dollars.

WPRC Steel Challenge

Jay

Back
Top Bottom