"ALP" is NOT an acceptable explanation?

ALP certainly is a valid reason.

You can either individually list all the things you might do with a firearm, or use the summary description of 'All Lawful Purposes'.

To do otherwise, seems to be a fast track to restrictions.

I use my firarms to...
Protect my home and property
Protect the lives of myself and my loved ones
Train with firearms to achieve proficiency
Train with firearms for recreational enjoyment
Compete with firearms for personal development and satisfaction
etc.
etc.
etc.

Clearly the reasons are too numerous to list, and should be nobody's business once I meet the legal requirements.

ALP should be sufficient for anyone not trying to restrict or deny your rights.

And that in a nutshell is EXACTLY the plan. This is why every chief should be sued into oblivion for denying citizens of their rights. For so many years people tucked their tail that chiefs now expect it. The gangbanger who carries without "permission" is more free than the person with a permit. Both will get the same thing if caught by an "oath breaking" cop.

I have an LTC A unrestricted. During renewal, Do I need to sit down again with the town chief of police to review the application,Take new pics, get new prints, etc. Has anyone ever been "demoted" from an LTC A?

I have an LTC A unrestricted. During renewal, Do I need to sit down again with the town chief of police to review the application,Take new pics, get new prints, etc. Has anyone ever been "demoted" from an LTC A?

New pix and prints; I've never had an interview on renewal. I had a breif conversation ~20 years ago when I moved to town, and had my first renewal of my transferred LTC. Town to town, YMMV. If you have a new licensing officer, they might want to do "Due dilligence"....

If I could sneak in a related question...
I've just signed my 15 year old grandson up for his safety course, and he'll be applying for his FID afterward. In Lowell. What should his reason for applying be?
Also, does anyone know if there's a standardized parental consent form, or does a simple note from his father work?

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf

The ap specifies a consent certificate - AFAIK, there's no "official" form. I'm planning on writing a note that simply meets the requiremnt: TO whom it may concern, I hereby grant consent for my son, MisterHappy II, to obtain an FID Card.

Signed,
MisterHappy

As for "reason" I'd say, "Posession of firearms and ammunition"....after all, that's what the card is for!

SInce it's "shall Issue" if your grandson has not statutory disqualifiers, "reason" is not really relevant. I'd say that it's a holdover from the fact that the form is used for LTC and MG. Still, "Exterminating zombies" probably should not be put down.

Just sayin'.....[smile]

Sit-downs/interviews/interrogations all depend on the PD and the desires of the police chief/mayor (pulling the strings).

A new picture is always required, and from personal experience it was strictly the right index finger printed on the scanner (same device used by dealers). The old inked prints are kept on file at CJIS and dragged out and re-run thru FBI on each renewal.

ALP certainly is a valid reason.

You can either individually list all the things you might do with a firearm, or use the summary description of 'All Lawful Purposes'.

To do otherwise, seems to be a fast track to restrictions.

I use my firarms to...
Protect my home and property
Protect the lives of myself and my loved ones

My understanding is that using a firearm in MA to protect property is unlawful, even for police. It is not a good idea to put that in your statement. I was advised by a police friend to avoid property protect as a reason in the statement or interview.

My understanding is that using a firearm in MA to protect property is unlawful, even for police. It is not a good idea to put that in your statement. I was advised by a police friend to avoid property protect as a reason in the statement or interview.

You are correct, although police have a bit more latitude than mere mortals.

Sit-downs/interviews/interrogations all depend on the PD and the desires of the police chief/mayor (pulling the strings).

A new picture is always required, and from personal experience it was strictly the right index finger printed on the scanner (same device used by dealers). The old inked prints are kept on file at CJIS and dragged out and re-run thru FBI on each renewal.

I just renewed mine, no pics required, they do a computer fingerprint if

they can find your fingerprint. ALP was OK here, but i was surprised

that i was asked to put down to local references on the APP.

But anyways it wasn't a real problem..

THANK YOU to all who gave their input, I'm submitting my application today or tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom