Alternative to Hoppes

LLF

NES Member
I like using Hoppes #9 to clean my guns. However I am getting complaints from the family about the smell.
Any recommendations for an odor free alternative to Hoppes #9?
Thank you.

I've used mineral spirits occasionally to clean the crud out of .22 pistols. Not sure if it would work on fouling but it smells better than Hoppes.

you could try breakfree clp or ballistol. ballistol has an odor but i don't find it offensive, some do, like the woman at the check out where i bought it.

I think both my kids were conceived when my wife dabbed a little hoppes behind her ears before turning in . I use Ballistol now days because I think it works better but it certainly isnt oder free. Have your family give them both the sniff test and see what one they can tolerate the best .

This is the part where everybody will tell me I'm wrong and I'm giving bad advice, so feel free to ignore me. I use nothing but WD-40. That's it. Just WD-40.
I've had a couple of my guns for about 40 years and if something was going to go wrong it would have by now. Even my fancy schmancy Winchester High Grade with the beautiful wood gets nothing but WD. Black powder guns too. I don't bother with the hot water or any other nonsense. I just squirt in the WD until it runs out clear then I run a dry patch through.
The only time I deviate from that is when I reload some faster than normal rifle rounds. Occasionally I'll use a bit of Hoppes copper solvent if the bbl shows signs of build up. But other than that its good old WD-40.
About twice a year I'll drag everything out of the safes and run a rag over the outside of each gun including the wood and plastic, and then I'll run a damp patch through the bore and then put them away. I don't have a trace of corrosion on any gun, and the wood shines like new.

Last edited:
I'd buy hoppes scented cologne if someone made it!!!

Next best thing air fresheners for your car. They also make a great karma.
hopppich9af3__17379.1564787978.1280.1280.jpg

Mpro7 as a cleaner followed up by G96 as a lube/CLP.

Hoppes also makes a Mpro7 like product called Hoppes Elite. Both are great non-toxic cleaners without any real odor. It's just that you will need a separate lube/oil as Elite/Mpro7 strip the metal bare.

I dont now how anyone likes the smell of Hoppes, to me it smells toxic. Then again i love the smell of fresh pavement.

Froglube...., but if you want to read a bunch of independent research and what might best fit your personal needs here is a fairly comprehensive link.

stop using toxic shit. nobody shoudl be exposing themselves to hoppes trash. ballistol works better anyway. it's all i use and when i die there will be unopened cans of it still in my home.

Interflon is great stuff. Pretty much all I use.

EDIT - I use the Interflon Super for cleaning and lubing, and their Grease for specific points with high wear. They have several products, so read the description before buying. Very low odor that dissipates quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I really appreciate it! (Except maybe the part about getting a new family 😳 ). I love my family and I also love my guns and I want to keep them both.
I have some Ballistol & will try that. I've been using it as a lubricant but not as a cleaner.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I really appreciate it! (Except maybe the part about getting a new family 😳 ). I love my family and I also love my guns and I want to keep them both.
I have some Ballistol & will try that. I've been using it as a lubricant but not as a cleaner.

Ballistol literally makes me gag. I tried it for awhile but have since switched to RemOil because RemOil comes in an aerosol can and isn't as thick as Ballistol - and doesn't make me gag.

You can still use Hoppe's. Just clean your guns in an area away from other people (basement, attic, bedroom, kitchen, shed, garage), shower afterwards, and change your clothes. Its actually not a bad idea to shower anyways if you've just been out shooting a match - when I come home from a match, I reek of burnt powder.

Back
Top Bottom