• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I able to get a NYC pistol license with a General under Honorable conditions discharge

Hello guys. Nice to meet you I’m new here so sorry if I am making any mistakes. I just have two questions, Would I be able to get a NYC Residence License or a carry license with a General under Honorable Conditions discharge. Is there any point in Using MY DD-214 to apply for the License.

Last edited:
Your DD-214 has to be submitted with an application: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf

I understand your question to be "Will NYPD issue a license based on my DD-214?" The answer is no they look at a lot more information than that. See also https://licensing.nypdonline.org/new-app-instruction/

A "Carry" permit is exceedingly difficult to obtain. You should do a web search for different information on this; see for example NY Gun Forum and (excerpt below) New York City and Its Gun Laws: How Strict Are They? | Guns of New York

What if I want to use a gun for different situations? Does one permit cover it all?

Not really. There are five kinds of permits in New York City and each allow you to use your gun in specific ways:

* A “premise” license lets gun owners use their weapon only on the premises of the address provided on the license. According to the city’s license division, most New York City applicants apply for this license.

* A “carry business” license allows gun owners to use a concealed gun for employment reasons and allows them to carry it from home to workplace.

* A “limited carry” business license restricts gun owners to use the weapon only of the business address on your license.

* A “special carry” license will let owners use a gun for business purposes and take it anywhere as long as the license is valid.

* A “carry guard” license is reserved for security guards and people in similar jobs. This license needs documentation from the employer.

Is it easy to get a permit in the city?

The National Rifle Association-Institute of Legislative Action says it is incredibly hard to get a gun permit in the city compared to other places. Moreover, the license to carry a concealed gun is the hardest to get. It is given on a “may issue” basis, which means you can be denied the privilege of carrying the gun around even if you own one. This is different from many other states and cities in the country, which do not require you to have a license to carry a concealed gun. Neither New York City or New York state allows a gun to be openly carried.

You are unlikely to get a NYC pistol license under ANY conditions. DispositionMatrix is not kidding with his post. NYC makes it ridiculously hard and expensive to get a pistol license. There is a case being appealed to the Supreme Court that might change that, but it's not even certain that the Court will hear it.

I must disagree with Garys that it is 'unlikely' that one will get any NYC pistol license. Yes it is ridiculously difficult and expensive but a "Premise" license, as they call it, should ultimately be issued. That being said an average citizen has no hope of getting a 'Carry' license.

Run for office as a commie, or join the cops, that’s an easier route to get a permit in the big maggoty Apple.

* fun fact there are as many people in Manhattan as there is in North Dakota and South Dakota combined.

I thought that "premise licenses" were pretty much limited to store owners. The gun must stay on the premises at all times, which makes it fine for protecting your store, but useless for self protection while moving about the city.

I must disagree with Garys that it is 'unlikely' that one will get any NYC pistol license. Yes it is ridiculously difficult and expensive but a "Premise" license, as they call it, should ultimately be issued. That being said an average citizen has no hope of getting a 'Carry' license.

Oh ok I was just wondering if a general(under Honorable conditions would stop me from applying for a license. I’m trying to get of to become a armed guard. I was told that a residence permit was easier to get and that armed security employers would accept that than a carry guard license.

Back in the nineties a regular citizen could have a "Premise" license where you could keep a handgun at home as well as a "Target" license where you could transport it unloaded and in a locked container to a range in NYC.

The MueveloNYC site, cited above, says in 2008:
Note: The premise license is only valid in the NYC 5 boroughs for home and range use only. It's not valid for NY State. Request a hunting endorsement card when you get your permit. It's a green card that's imprinted with a seal. On it it says, the person name on the card with a valid premise license is now legally allowed to transport his firearm throughout NY State.

This is the text on this card:

Police Department - City of N.Y.
Hunting Authorization

This amendment to the Premise pistol license issue to the above licensee, provides for the transport of the firearm(s) indicated on said license, within New York State while unloaded and in a locked container. It shall further authorize the carry of a loaded firearm on the person, while afield, actively engaged in such lawful hunting as is authorized pursuant to the New York State Fish and Wildlife Law.

I don't think we are answering his question. Maybe the questioned should be phrased "Am I a prohibited person if I have a General under Honorable Conditions discharge listed on my DD214". All the other answers are irrelevant unless that discharge makes the OP a PP.

Edited to add:

15 General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions Pros and Cons

4. It provides all rights.
Individuals who receive a punitive discharge from the U.S. military may not be allowed all their personal rights when they enter civilian life. If an individual receives a Dishonorable Discharge, for example, then they are not allowed to own a firearm. Individuals who receive a Bad Conduct Discharge or a Dishonorable Discharge will also forfeit their military and veteran’s benefits. With a General Discharge, Under Honorable Conditions, these rights remain intact.

I don't think we are answering his question. Maybe the questioned should be phrased "Am I a prohibited person if I have a General under Honorable Conditions discharge listed on my DD214". All the other answers are irrelevant unless that discharge makes the OP a PP.

Edited to add:

15 General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions Pros and Cons

I have a general discharge under honorable conditions. I am not a Federally-prohibited person. The 4473 clarifies this: the only way to be disqualified is if you have a "dishonorable" discharge because that would involve some form of prosecution and conviction as a service-member.

But I have no clue about NYC. Abandon all hope, ye who enter there.

Thank you Guys for your help and answers. I also asked a gun shop located in my area she said I am still eligible to get a permit and due to my clean back round I’m more than likely to get it( the residence and shotgun/ rifle) permits at least. I hope I get the carry guard license.

Thank you Guys for your help and answers. I also asked a gun shop located in my area she said I am still eligible to get a permit and due to my clean back round I’m more than likely to get it( the residence and shotgun/ rifle) permits at least. I hope I get the carry guard license.

I lived in NYC in 90s and was able to get a carry permit. I will tell you that it was long and painful and cost me nearly 15k in political donations and other payments in kind. Provided you are not prohibited the carry guard license was reasonable to obtain. (In the 90s). I had friends that had them but they are extremely limited to security work and you have to be careful. The minute you are not on the clock that permit is useless.

Bribery and corruption are pretty rampant in the NYC permit division.
They have been bagged several times and still haven't missed a beat.
The average Joe has a better shot at meeting the Pope.

PP= Prohibited Person.

Typically refers to being prohibited under Federal law.
I don't know about NY but in MA you can also be disqualified under the state law or even unsuitable based on the feels of the local CoP.

Wowee. Welcome to NES. You’re checking all the blocks early:

Asking about NYC permitting/licensing? Check.
Asking about being a security guard? Check.
Not knowing common NES acronyms like PP? Check.
Taking legal advice from a gun shop employee? Check.

You’re on it, doggone it!

Hello guys. Nice to meet you I’m new here so sorry if I am making any mistakes. I just have two questions, Would I be able to get a NYC Residence License or a carry license with a General under Honorable Conditions discharge. Is there any point in Using MY DD-214 to apply for the License.
My friend your discharge has nothing to do with NYC Laws. As long as u don’t have a dishonorable or a court martial conviction u can own as many guns as u want.

Wowee. Welcome to NES. You’re checking all the blocks early:

Asking about NYC permitting/licensing? Check.
Asking about being a security guard? Check.
Not knowing common NES acronyms like PP? Check.
Taking legal advice from a gun shop employee? Check.

You’re on it, doggone it!
Haaa yes I am new still learning some of the terminology but also willing to learn anything concerning gun laws and weapons ownership. You guys have been helpful so far.

Bribery and corruption are pretty rampant in the NYC permit division.
They have been bagged several times and still haven't missed a beat.
The average Joe has a better shot at meeting the Pope.

Yes I have read on these stories and this gives me more of a reason to move out in the future. Once I finish my college degree with VOC rehab and save enough money from armed security I’m gone. This state has fallen so low. It’s becoming more communist. Really Scary. It needs a huge clean up. I also read on how the VA denied NYC background check permission to access veterans VA medical/ mental history. It would have been shown in the background check showing which veteran would be the most unqualified because of their mental history. Good for the VA on their part hope it stays that way.

Also, contact the VA and put in the paperwork to get your discharge upgraded. Everybody makes mistakes and you definitely want to get that to an honorable. it is an administrative process and it’s done all the time. Good luck

Also, contact the VA and put in the paperwork to get your discharge upgraded. Everybody makes mistakes and you definitely want to get that to an honorable. it is an administrative process and it’s done all the time. Good luck

I’m already ahead of ya but I’m getting my discharge upgrade done with the NVLSP. How do you get your discharge upgraded through the VA like you said?

I’m already ahead of ya but I’m getting my discharge upgrade done with the NVLSP. How do you get your discharge upgraded through the VA like you said?
Go to your towns VA Rep and he can give you the paperwork to file. If you don’t have a town VA Rep then find the nearest DAV or American Legion post, they will be able to help you.

Contact a local VSO (veteran service organization) like the dav, American legion or vfw.

Upgrades to characterization of service are done all the time.

I was called in to a hearing on a guy that was dishonorably discharged because he assaulted his wife. The guy was 20 years active duty and 4 national guard. I was his commander in the guard when he assaulted his wife. He did 4 combat tours in Iraq and afghanistan......was having major PTSD issues at the time of the assault. His dishonorable discharge.....at first glance......seemed legitimate.....but that dishonorable characterization took away his right to use the VA for medical......so no ability to go to mental health counseling. At his hearing he fully accepted his reduction in rank from E7 to E1 and loss of retirement benefits.....just wanted to upgrade the characterization of discharge so he could use the VA. I supported and testified in favor of upgrading the discharge. He was upgraded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom