• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I able to get a NYC pistol license with a General under Honorable conditions discharge

I thought that "premise licenses" were pretty much limited to store owners. The gun must stay on the premises at all times, which makes it fine for protecting your store, but useless for self protection while moving about the city.

We all know that NYC is crime free so there is no need for you to carry.

Unless you are very wealthy, give a lot of money to ruling class democrats and have a business requiring carrying lots of cash or jewels, you are not getting a permit. NYC is worse than Boston for illegal discrimination.

Contact a local VSO (veteran service organization) like the dav, American legion or vfw.

Upgrades to characterization of service are done all the time.

I was called in to a hearing on a guy that was dishonorably discharged because he assaulted his wife. The guy was 20 years active duty and 4 national guard. I was his commander in the guard when he assaulted his wife. He did 4 combat tours in Iraq and afghanistan......was having major PTSD issues at the time of the assault. His dishonorable discharge.....at first glance......seemed legitimate.....but that dishonorable characterization took away his right to use the VA for medical......so no ability to go to mental health counseling. At his hearing he fully accepted his reduction in rank from E7 to E1 and loss of retirement benefits.....just wanted to upgrade the characterization of discharge so he could use the VA. I supported and testified in favor of upgrading the discharge. He was upgraded.
great job whacko!!!

Contact a local VSO (veteran service organization) like the dav, American legion or vfw.

Upgrades to characterization of service are done all the time.

I was called in to a hearing on a guy that was dishonorably discharged because he assaulted his wife. The guy was 20 years active duty and 4 national guard. I was his commander in the guard when he assaulted his wife. He did 4 combat tours in Iraq and afghanistan......was having major PTSD issues at the time of the assault. His dishonorable discharge.....at first glance......seemed legitimate.....but that dishonorable characterization took away his right to use the VA for medical......so no ability to go to mental health counseling. At his hearing he fully accepted his reduction in rank from E7 to E1 and loss of retirement benefits.....just wanted to upgrade the characterization of discharge so he could use the VA. I supported and testified in favor of upgrading the discharge. He was upgraded.
Whacko, if you have already done so...tell him to put his claim in for ptsd compensation now that his discharge has been upgraded. He deserves 100% for serving our country and have his mind and life destroyed because of it. If he doesn’t want to tell him all those f***s in the projects don’t just get free housing, they get free cable too!!!! Good luck and if or when you talk to him tell him I said thank you!!!

Whacko, if you have already done so...tell him to put his claim in for ptsd compensation now that his discharge has been upgraded. He deserves 100% for serving our country and have his mind and life destroyed because of it. If he doesn’t want to tell him all those f***s in the projects don’t just get free housing, they get free cable too!!!! Good luck and if or when you talk to him tell him I said thank you!!!
I have not heard or seen from him since the hearing. The whole experience for him was quite emotional. It was tough for me to see a man in dress blues with no rank on it with a ribbon rack that included 2 bronze stars and a CIB. I hope he got the help he needed......but he did fall out of contact probably due to his embarrassment. Not that he had anything to be embarrassed about.....but I'm sure you know what military folks go through when it comes to honor.

I'll add.....I've had nothing but good things to say about va healthcare. I started seeing a counselor 4 years ago.......and the counselor actually advised me to file a claim and assisted in the process. It was an efficient process. 10 years ago I hear it was terrible.

I have not heard or seen from him since the hearing. The whole experience for him was quite emotional. It was tough for me to see a man in dress blues with no rank on it with a ribbon rack that included 2 bronze stars and a CIB. I hope he got the help he needed......but he did fall out of contact probably due to his embarrassment. Not that he had anything to be embarrassed about.....but I'm sure you know what military folks go through when it comes to honor.

I'll add.....I've had nothing but good things to say about va healthcare. I started seeing a counselor 4 years ago.......and the counselor actually advised me to file a claim and assisted in the process. It was an efficient process. 10 years ago I hear it was terrible.
Yes, it’s much better now. I just got my compensation last year after close to 20 years of dealing with VA appeals bullshit. The actual VA healthcare around Boston has always been good. God bless!

Yes, it’s much better now. I just got my compensation last year after close to 20 years of dealing with VA appeals bullshit. The actual VA healthcare around Boston has always been good. God bless!
Damn. That's a long time.

Mine was 4 months from file date to first compensation. That was a year ago. Had a few appointments to go to but overall no huge deal.

FWIW here is a link to the NYPD Licensing division.
https://licensing.nypdonline.org/new-app-instruction/
Nothing in there about military service discharges etc. but the process seems very long and expensive ($340 just to apply + $88.25 for fingerprints).
From what I read there is really no such permit as an unrestricted license to carry available to private citizens in NYC. Private individuals can only get "premises permits" where you have to keep the gun in your home. Any licenses to carry outside a home are issued to business people for business use or security guards, but only while they are working and always with restrictions.
Just out of curiosity can non-NYC residents apply for a NYC license?

To LLF

That link requires you to register before you can see the actual application which is here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf

"Military Discharge. If you served in the armed forces of the United States, you must submit your separation papers (DD 214) and your discharge."

As to unrestricted carry licenses I have not looked at these in detail for decades. In the past you could get an "Endorsement" (IIRC that is what it was called) to your basic "Premise" license that allowed you to carry. You may be correct that nowadays you can only get an unrestricted carry based on a business license. That being said I suspect that if the NYPD wants to give someone a non-business related unrestricted carry license they have done and will do so.

For your last question the answer is no:

I have a pistol permit from NY State, but not New York City (5 Boroughs). Can I still shoot a pistol in New York City?
No. New York City does not honor NY State Licenses.

What if I have a valid NY State CCW license, then can I carry or shoot a pistol in New York City?
No. NYPD is very particular on this. Only New York City permits and CCW licenses are valid in NYC's 5 boroughs. Anything issued outside NYC by NY State is NOT valid in NYC. There have been warnings posted that NYPD will revoke your license, confiscate your guns, as well as possible 3 years jail time for illegal possession of a firearm in New York City.

Also note NYC pistol licenses are NOT valid outside of NYC. Many organizations highly recommend that NYC license holdersget the Hunting Authorization card (green card) that lets you take your firearm outside of the city to authorized ranges and hunting grounds in NY State. The green card is imprinted and even states that the premise license is now valid for NY State and you are allowed to transport it out of NY City. Request it from 1PP when you get your permit.

Source: # MueveloNYC's NYC Gun FAQ (Laws and Procedures)

Hello guys. Nice to meet you I’m new here so sorry if I am making any mistakes. I just have two questions, Would I be able to get a NYC Residence License or a carry license with a General under Honorable Conditions discharge. Is there any point in Using MY DD-214 to apply for the License.
Congrats. I was once one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (USMC). I was booted out via BCD for refusing the anthrax vaccine back in 1998. I was able to get FID in MA but denied LTC. Forget a pistol license in NYC unless you are a cop, retired cop or rich drug-addicted celebrity like Steven Tyler or Joe Perry, the Aerosmith rockers who got permits despite their druggy backgrounds. Get the NYC rifle/shotgun permit. Buy a Remington 870, Savage bolt action Troy Landry version of the Savage bolt action .22 rifle and the .223 Ranch Rifle version of the Ruger Mini 14. All are NYC legal and much less hassle than a pistol license that would not allow you to carry under any circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom