• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amateur Athletic Union Target Shooting

Hello, For those interested the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) is offering Target Shooting as a sanctioned event. I have recently taken on the responsibility as serving as the New England District Target Shooting Director. I am reaching out to any ranges in the New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Vermont area interest in getting involved in this program. For more information you can visit http://www.aautargetshooting.org/. I look forward to getting to know all of you and happy shooting.

Here is the link to the rule book. http://image.aausports.org/dnn/TargetShooting/WelcomePage.pdf

I am also providing some examples of the events to clarify.

1. Red RiderBB gun 40 target: 4 stages with 10 targets on each stage. The targets are knock down. They are different sizes, at different distances, some are moving. The targets are made of aluminum and attached to a stand with magnetic strips . Scoring for local and beginner matches are, If you knock down 38 to 40 targets you get a gold medal, 35 to 37 silver, 32 to 34 bronze. For State matches accuracy, number of shots, and time will factor for ranking. The time limit for each stage is 90 sec. This is for ages10 and up.

2. .22 open rifle, no optics, 40 targets same setup as Red Rider. Note all shooters 12 and under must have a coach / parent during shooting the event.

3. .22 Rifle” HIT FACTOR” using a Ruger 10/22 rifle. This is done in 3 positions, standing , kneeling and prone. You shoot 10 targets in each position. You are timed with a shot timer. If you hit all 10 targets in 10 second , you divide the hits into the time,, 10 hits divided into 10 sec. =A Hit Factor of 1,, which means you hit one target every second. So, if hit all 10 targets in 20 seconds you would have a HIT FACTOR of 2. But if you miss a target it’s a 5 second penalty which is added to your time then divided by hits. We shoot 5” targets at 30 yards. If your average Hit Factor for all 3 positions is 1 or less you get a Gold medal , 1.1 to 2.0 silver, 2.1 to 3.0 bronze.

4. .22 Hit Factor open rifle with optics shooting at a 50 yards or shooting at 30yards with 3” targets. Same rules as above, but standing position ONLY 10 targets.

5. .22 pistol Hit Factor, same rules , standing only, 10 targets at 15 yards.

I have an update. We will be hosting the First Annual New England District Shoot on June 11th. Here is the Event posted on the AAU's web page http://www.aautargetshooting.org/Events.aspx
We also have a Group on Facebook (New England AAU Target Shooting) if you would like to stay up to date on the practice dates and time leading up to the event.

All due respect, you seem to make it hard to join.

Also, you give a precis of the rules in post 4, but the linked info to the official rules does not address the course of fire, scoring, etc.

If you have a "Ruger 10/22" event, does it have to be out of the box factory, or can the only original part be the serialized receiver, and all other components fancy upgrades?

Not trying to be a PITA, but questions such as this, not addressed before the shoot, will come to bite you in the azz.

Good luck..

All due respect, you seem to make it hard to join.

Also, you give a precis of the rules in post 4, but the linked info to the official rules does not address the course of fire, scoring, etc.

If you have a "Ruger 10/22" event, does it have to be out of the box factory, or can the only original part be the serialized receiver, and all other components fancy upgrades?

Not trying to be a PITA, but questions such as this, not addressed before the shoot, will come to bite you in the azz.

Good luck..

Not quite sure what you mean by "making it hard to join". Buying a $14 annual AAU membership is as easy as signing up for this forum. As for the bullet point of EXAMPLE stages I posted, they are not the entire rule book. The rule book in its entirety can be found here http://image.aausports.org/dnn/TargetShooting/WelcomePage.pdf . I am also putting together a date for the Coach/RSO certification for those interested. If anyone is interested just let me know.

As for the 10/22, the intent is to run with a stock 10/22 class, and have an open class that allows for mods. Competition Directors can choose during the open class to either move the distance back to 50 Yards and use the 5 inch plates or shoot at a 3 inch plate at 30 yards. I hope this clarifies the questions you had if you have any more feel free to ask.

Thanks for the fed back.

I am interested in becoming involved. I just do not think that my current personal calendar will allow me to attend the event of June 11. I just telephoned the AAU and was advised that, in the target-shooting discipline, an adult-athlete membership would allow me to coach as well as compete. I forgot to inquire about any need to undertake the Double-Goal Coach online course which has been generated by the Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA). Might you provide any additional clarification regarding either qualification or certification as an AAU target-shooting coach. For the record: I am already certified by the NRA and the MSP as a basic-pistol-marksmanship instructor, but not as any kind of coach. Meanwhile, do I understand correctly that, in AAU target-shooting competitions, pistols are shot from the three positions: Standing, kneeling, and prone?

Back
Top Bottom