Amend LEOSA for C.O's

[popcorn]
disgunbegood.gif

I am proud to read this thread. The comments in here give me hope for the future of our once great nation.

I agree FOPA should die, no free person should need a permit anywhere to defend themselves.

Article 1 section 9 clause 8 states;
No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.

I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you [wink]

Thanks on the first point. How so on the second?

a LEO sees a perp a couple of times, CO sees them daily

While I agree that everyone should be able to carry freely in all 50 states, if the law is based on the premise that law enforcement officers somehow face risks that necessitate such a law, corrections officers are at the forefront of that need.

My father-in-law has worked for the MA DOC for years, and some of the run-ins with prior guests of his facility while off duty have ranged from awkward to downright dangerous. Everyone he has dealt with inside is, by definition, a convicted felon. Yeah, police officers run into people they arrest on occasion, but I don't arrest people everyday, and when I do, they're not always bad people or people inclined to commit violence against me, and our interaction might last an hour or two, tops. He deals with dozens of violent criminals all day, every day, he knows their faces, and they know his.

The off-duty risks to the average CO is far more serious than to the average police officer, such that I favor expanding LEOSA for their inclusion notwithstanding the reservations I have about the lack of similar coverage universally. CO's need that protection now, and if it is somehow a political possibility in the way that universal CCW permits will not be any time soon, than I'd favor an amendment.

Last edited:
"Between 2.3m and 2.4m Americans are behind bars, roughly one in every 100 adults. If those on parole or probation are included, one adult in 31 is under “correctional” supervision"
- from the Economist

Thank your friendly state and federal AGs

"Between 2.3m and 2.4m Americans are behind bars, roughly one in every 100 adults. If those on parole or probation are included, one adult in 31 is under “correctional” supervision"
- from the Economist

Thank your friendly state and federal AGs
I would agree with you all you need to do to make a criminal in America nowadays is "just add water", but if you don't think at least some of the people in state and federal prison actually deserve to be there, I suggest you take a tour of your local prison.

Most of us could probably agree on a few things: (1) There are people in prison who deserve to be there, (2) there are people in prison who do not deserve to be there, (3) anyone who decides to take a job overseeing prisoners is likely at risk from both groups, (4) any man should be free to arm himself, and (5) making laws to dole out privileges to special classes of citizens is an act against liberty.

While I agree that everyone should be able to carry freely in all 50 states, if the law is based on the premise that law enforcement officers somehow face risks that necessitate such a law, corrections officers are at the forefront of that need.

My father-in-law has worked for the MA DOC for years, and some of the run-ins with prior guests of his facility while off duty have ranged from awkward to downright dangerous. Everyone he has dealt with inside is, by definition, a convicted felon. Yeah, police officers run into people they arrest on occasion, but I don't arrest people everyday, and when I do, they're not always bad people or people inclined to commit violence against me, and our interaction might last an hour or two, tops. He deals with dozens of violent criminals all day, every day, he knows their faces, and they know his.

The off-duty risks to the average CO is far more serious than to the average police officer, such that I favor expanding LEOSA for their inclusion notwithstanding the reservations I have about the lack of similar coverage universally. CO's need that protection now, and if it is somehow a political possibility in the way that universal CCW permits will not be any time soon, than I'd favor an amendment.

But instead this furthers the us vs they attitude. Special priveleges blah blah, leosa should be disbanded and a unified voice of police and non badge wearers pushing for constitutional carry everywhere. As long as leosa stands most cops do not care about the rest of us. Take that away and we have a stronger voice with the backing of leos.

Most of us could probably agree on a few things: (1) There are people in prison who deserve to be there, (2) there are people in prison who do not deserve to be there, (3) anyone who decides to take a job overseeing prisoners is likely at risk from both groups, (4) any man should be free to arm himself, and (5) making laws to dole out privileges to special classes of citizens is an act against liberty.
Great post

But instead this furthers the us vs they attitude. Special priveleges blah blah, leosa should be disbanded and a unified voice of police and non badge wearers pushing for constitutional carry everywhere. As long as leosa stands most cops do not care about the rest of us. Take that away and we have a stronger voice with the backing of leos.

Exactly. It's why the NY boycott might actually work. If the cops have to deal with the same farce we do, they will have no choice but to further our cause to their own beneift.

Yes, there are no doubt situations where COs lives are in danger, but "special treatment" sucks when the same system makes judgments that the COs protection is more important than that of a woman who works nights, the small businessperson who works in a diverse community, a witness in criminal trial involving gang members, or just the ordinary citizen with a clean record who wants the tools of dynamic self defense available when they might be needed.

Mandatory reciprocity and removing "no carry zones" - certainly; as to the "special people" - although it will never happen, I would prefer cops have no special privileges when off duty and turn in to "ordinary people"* when their shift ends.

* - The kind of "ordinary people" Bill Clinton was referring to when he said "we can't be too concerned about the rights of ordinary people"

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom