American Tactical "NATO" Ammunition

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Has anyone used this?

I picked some up at a local shop to blast through my finally finished M14 project. It was about 12 bucks a box, so I grabbed a few. I also found some Federal 168grn BTHP Gold Match, so I grabbed that to see what my new barrel might be capable of. The American Tactical is manufactured in Turkey and is supposed to be "NATO mil-spec" 150grn ammo, and the box says it is lot tested to meet at least 1MOA.

I got to range today, and started with the AT "NATO" ammo to get an idea where the rifle was hitting at 100 yards, and it would eject the spent case, but it would not load the next round in the magazine when fired. Of the 40 rounds I brought with me, it loaded the next round once. The ammo was grouping horrible, and I was really getting down on my rifle, seeing all the money I sunk into it.

I got the scope to where I thought was close enough, and wanted see what the Fed Gold Match would do. It worked flawlessly. Real small groupings, and it cycled the action properly. I am quite happy with the rifle, and realize I need to start reloaded stat.

Here are a few links with descriptions of the ammo.

http://dealer.americantactical.us/products?product=680

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/24_100_279/products_id/2997

My rifle sure didn't like it, is it an ammo snob, or does this sound like crap ammo? Any other experiences?

As far as I know NATO 7.62x51 is 147 gr not 150gr...also check the rim of the cartridge if there is no NATO cross there it is not NATO spec or approved....My guess is that it is crap ammo, I tried a box of the M855 62gr 5.56 and it was horrible, There is some winchester 7.62x51 white box stuff floating around at most shops these days, 147gr, NATO stamped....my M1A loves it, real good stuff, It can be had for around 13 bucks

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of 150 gr stuff advertised as NATO SPEC but who knows what the hell they are loading them with.......and I know they (150's) exist because I have loaded them before

Im shocked NATO specs even come close to be needing to hold 1moa at any distance....also what test barrel do they use under what controlled conditions.
Honestly why the fancy box and AMERICAN TACTICAL name. Why could it not just be in a plain box, ,nock another buck of the price.

If I see the word "Tactical" on anything I don't buy it.
That had become the next big buzz word like "Extreme".
If I see "Extreme or Tactical" you can keep it because it almost always means "SUCK".

If I see the word "Tactical" on anything I don't buy it.
That had become the next big buzz word like "Extreme".
If I see "Extreme or Tactical" you can keep it because it almost always means "SUCK".

So what you are saying is that my Blackhawk "Limited Edition Extreme Tactical Elite Operator Supreme Tier One Lone Wolf Series " made in Bangladesh 2 pocket t-shirt isn't any good ?

So what you are saying is that my Blackhawk "Limited Edition Extreme Tactical Elite Operator Supreme Tier One Lone Wolf Series " made in Bangladesh 2 pocket t-shirt isn't any good ?

No, it sucks. Only the one pocket Blackhawk "Limited Edition Extreme Tactical Elite Operator Supreme Tier One Lone Wolf Series " made in Bangladesh t-shirts are tactical.

I thought everybody knew that.

A freind recently shot some in 30-06 and the 4th round must have been HOT. there was a ton of muzzle flash and it sounded like a 50 cal. needless to say the rest of the box was put in the dud pile.

I have some of their ammo in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. It's "OK". Definitely nowhere near the sub-MOA they claim. It's cheap plinking ammo, that's about it.

And still no NATO accuracy specs found???

OK so this stuff claims to be NATO spec ok so what its running at a higher preasure than standard .223 fodder and must chamber in a NATO spec chambered gun BUT no where have I found anything to do with NATO accuracy specs??? This is about the best I found

Corrected Proof Pressure Requirement (Service Pressure (Pmax) + 25%) Calibre Specific Weapon Detail Service Pressure Pmax
MPa / (psi) Proof Round Pressure Requirement
MPa / (psi) Detailed Requirement for Proof Ammunition
5.56 mm (5.56x45mm NATO) Designed to chamber NATO ammunition 430.0 / (62,366) 537.5 / (77,958) Pressure recorded in NATO design EPVAT Barrel with Kistler 6215 Transducer[6] or by equipment to Commission Internationale Permanente pour l’épreuve des Armes á Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) requirements
7.62 mm (7.62x51mm NATO) Designed to chamber NATO ammunition 415.0 / (60,190) 519.0 / (75,275) Pressure recorded in NATO design EPVAT Barrel with Kistler 6215 Transducer or by equipment to C.I.P. requirements
9 mm (9x19mm NATO) Designed to chamber NATO ammunition 252.0 / (36,550) 315.0 / (45,687) Pressure recorded in C.I.P. design barrel at mid case position
12.7 mm (12.7x99mm NATO) Designed to chamber NATO ammunition 417.0 / (60,481) 521.3 / (75,608) Pressure recorded in NATO design EPVAT Barrel with Kistler 6215 Transducer or by equipment to C.I.P. requirements
All other small arms ammunition for use in "non-NATO Chamber" weapons As defined by the current C.I.P. legislation. As defined by the current C.I.P. legislation.

The above proof round pressure requirements for the 9 mm and 12.7 mm rounds established by the British Ministry of Defence

Try Mil-C- 60896A 7.62mm NATO Reference.

3.5 Accuracy. The average of the mean radii of all targets of the sample cartridges fired at 600 yards shall not exceed 6 inches.

You multiply the mean radius by about 3 to give you an idea of the groups. So about 18 inch groups at 600. The ATK Small Arms catalog list M80 Ball with a mean radius of 7.5 inches.

B

Im not all that good with math but it seems to be far from 1moa@100yards ? so if its NATO spec its more or less minute of man ?

Im not all that good with math but it seems to be far from 1moa@100yards ? so if its NATO spec its more or less minute of man ?

There is no military ball ammo, from any country, that will consistenly achieve 1 MOA even when fired out of precision rifles.

Back
Top Bottom