Ammo and MA gun laws

The only way I can find ammo is online. Most out of state gun shops will not sell to MA residents. So I ship it out of state to a friend and he brings it to me. Can I get confirmation that this is breaking MA gun laws or not.....thanks

Has anyone seen signs of ammo becoming more available especially 22 cal.

Perfectly legal, if you are licensed to possess ammo in MA.

I won't comment on the absurdity of having to have a license to possess ammo

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Last edited:
The only thing I can add is to caution your friend who I assume is a NH resident from crossing into the PRM with ammo. If he does not have a non resident LTC, he cannot posess ammo in this state, I think, IANAL. There may be some exception if he is going to a competition or something, but I would look into that. You are better off going to NH and picking it up.

The only thing I can add is to caution your friend who I assume is a NH resident from crossing into the PRM with ammo. If he does not have a non resident LTC, he cannot posess ammo in this state, I think, IANAL. There may be some exception if he is going to a competition or something, but I would look into that. You are better off going to NH and picking it up.

Almost right. The ONLY exception for a NR (with no MA NR LTC) possessing ammo in MA is ammo strictly for low-capacity long guns. And they better have said long guns with them, plus 90% of MA LEOs are totally unaware of this exception . . . so an arrest is still possible even though it is perfectly legal.

Most out of state gun shops won't sell to MA residents? Where are you getting that truck load of pure bull crap? I've never encountered a store in NH, ME, VT, RI, CT (until recently) that would not sell ammo to a MA resident. A small minority of NH dealers have this outrageous policy of asking for MA LTC but most dealers just want to verify that you are 18 and go by the "does he look 18" test.

I believe he is talking about online dealers that won't ship to MA.

Back
Top Bottom