• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Can safe-lock system.

blindndead

NES Member
Check it out, I gave the Ammo Can safe-lock system from http://www.majorsurplus.com/Ammo-Can-Lock-A-3-Piece-Can-It-System-2-Pack-P15077.aspx a try and Im happy as a clam. Cant go wrong for the price and it keeps little hands out and keeps you leagal. easy and simple and shipping was fast.
IMG_5832.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a shackle at HD for a buck or two and cut a hole through the clasp so it could be locked closed. I'll find it and take a pic.

I saw those selling on evilbay but decided to drill a 3/8 hole in the side of the can and used a 3/8" stainless bolt. I cut the head off it and then drilled a hole for the lock. Took a stainless nut and cut it in half to make a jam nut due to the small clearance needed and added an o-ring to keep it water tight. Plus I can stack the cans without the bracket being in the way.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 279
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 225
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 234
I saw those selling on evilbay but decided to drill a 3/8 hole in the side of the can and used a 3/8" stainless bolt. I cut the head off it and then drilled a hole for the lock. Took a stainless nut and cut it in half to make a jam nut due to the small clearance needed and added an o-ring to keep it water tight. Plus I can stack the cans without the bracket being in the way.

And its post's like this that keep me a green member for years to come.

I moved to NH. Ammo all over the ****in place!
Cool story bro. I'm sure the pack of 8-11 yo boys that your son hangs around with are much more responsible than mine is and would never ever touch his dad's ammo when he wasn't home.

But for those of us whose children are not perfect, or for interstate travel, here's the approach I took. It only involved drilling holes for four pop rivets and the shank.
i-gC4ThVr-L.jpg

i-xwWtkx3-L.jpg

Note that a big screwdriver on the wire bail would defeat this easily. It's really just for kid proofing.

I like that stainless bolt. I did something similar with just an old 7.62x54R casing, cut down to about 1" long with a hole drilled in it. It works, but there's no good way to make it waterproof. I think I did it that way because I didn't have a decent drill bit to get through a real bolt.

My biggest gripe is that I haven't found more than 4 keyed-alike locks at a shot, and I like to have one key to access all my ammo. Right now I have one lock on my main ammo storage cabinet, one lock on a chain wrapped around my pallet of surplus crates, and two 50 cal cans with Mosin shell locks. I've got a couple more larger cans that I'd like to start filling, but I don't want to have to keep track of multiple keys.

This was the thread I posted on my ammo can locks:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...y-to-lock-an-ammo-can?highlight=ammo+can+lock

My biggest gripe is that I haven't found more than 4 keyed-alike locks at a shot, and I like to have one key to access all my ammo. Right now I have one lock on my main ammo storage cabinet, one lock on a chain wrapped around my pallet of surplus crates, and two 50 cal cans with Mosin shell locks. I've got a couple more larger cans that I'd like to start filling, but I don't want to have to keep track of multiple keys.

Home Depot carries several brands of padlock (Master, Brinks, etc) where there is a "keycode" printed on the package. Sets with the same printed key code will be keyed alike, but you might have to hunt to find matched packages.

Back
Top Bottom