ammo cost

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I was at the range Saturday and the guy next to me was shooting a precision .308 rifle. I was a bit surprised that match ammo cost more than $2.00 a round. Even at the outrageous current prices for components, I came up with 80 cents. That was with a Sierra Match King bullet, 4064 powder and 10 cents for a primer. Am I being optimistic or does this seem realistic?

lol, cheap FGM 308 was done ages ago, even back in early 2000s some places were selling it for $1/round. Rileys used to sell it for $15. didn’t take long for it to go to $30+ a box and that was long before covid.

I would say that is close. If you were to add new brass that would probably add another $0.60 give or take a couple of cents.

Precovid, I was paying 90cents a round for Sierra Match King and was able to reload for around 60cents.

I still have stock but I don’t shot my 308 as much now, I wait until I get a decent length range.

Harry

You are not being optimistic about reloading costs. Unfortunately(?), I shoot a lot of .308. Even with non "deal" retail pricing, I get 175gr SMK ($.38) + Federal GM210M ($.13) + VihtaVouri 150 (~$.22) = $0.73 without brass. New Lapua brass ($.98) and Scenar L bullets ($.68) would take this to $2.01. Not uncommon to see Fed Gold Medal 175 grain at $2.25/round or more. With careful buying (even now), I'm down to under 65cpr, and I'm certain that you guys who stocked up pre-insanity are doing better than I am :cool:.

Lol.
I went plinking when i got my lever action.
Blew through a box of hornady leverlution 45-70 in like 5-10 min.

I cringed , because i knew how much i just chucked, but it brought on a feeling of joy.

Luckily, i got that box at non rapey price of $45 ish bucks.
Ive been seeing them for $60-$80 regularly for a box of 20 i think. It also reaches up to $100 in the extremes of gunbroker

Pre covid prices a deal on FGMM was $20/20 average was $1.35 per shipped
The last time I bought up 308 match it was a touch over $1 rnd shipped and that was this year.

$2.00 a round for the higher end match ammo is not a lot for 308 or any higher end match ammo.

lapua 308 match has been hovering around $2 a round for a while even precovid and runs around $2.25-2.50

right now I dont mind paying $1.35 rnd for match 308 as they use lapua brass which will run you .80 cents + new anyway.

Back
Top Bottom