Ammo design regulations or Unusual ammo

I just stumbled onto an NES thread about shotgun slug ammo that looks like a meat hammer. Besides being stupid expensive and the threads obligatory joking about one's "meat hammer", the thread got me thinking: are there any laws that regulate what kind of ammo one can use in their gun? Would using pepper spray powder in a shotgun shell be considered legal? Dragon's Breath? Macho Gaucho? Rock Salt?

and IIRC the Feds consider anything over 50 caliber a fuzzy area.....

.50BMG is fine, .500 S&W is fine, I don't think there is any commercially made available to civilian ammo bigger than that on the market

I just stumbled onto an NES thread about shotgun slug ammo that looks like a meat hammer. Besides being stupid expensive and the threads obligatory joking about one's "meat hammer", the thread got me thinking: are there any laws that regulate what kind of ammo one can use in their gun? Would using pepper spray powder in a shotgun shell be considered legal? Dragon's Breath? Macho Gaucho? Rock Salt?
Laws of physics.

Square bullet in a round bore (Puckle Gun excepted)

AFAIK, there are no regulations on types of projectiles in DPRM, per se, but there are restrictions as to what is lawful for hunting (see hunting regs/abstracts), and, since most non-hunting shooting in Mass is done at ranges, there may be range restrictions.

I'm sure that pepper spray powder in a shottie would be legal, until you used it, then it would be assault with a deadly weapon. If you're going to use pepper, add the rock salt to it, so your seasonings are balanced.

If you're looking for alternative projectiles, there are many commercially-produced options for less-than-lethal loadings. If you DO roll your own, make sure the camera is running, when you test them.

You can buy >50 cal ammo, as long as it is "not explosive," i.e. contains less than some very small amount of explosive filler without a license or tax stamp. If it's explosive it counts as a destructive device and requires a tax stamp to transfer (good luck finding it!) or make (arguably an explosive license is also required to make). If it's a "common hunting cartridge" like 700 nitro or 4 bore you can get the actual firearm without a tax stamp, but stuff like AT rifles or PAKs require a DD tax stamp to make or transfer. It is hard to find, but you can get components and such for small to large bore DDs. Loaded 20x138 (small bore) ammo is 35 bucks a pop:
http://www.anzioironworks.com/LHATI_L-39_WWII_Anti-Tank Rifle.html

TSA actually says up to .75 caliber is OK to travel with: Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Back
Top Bottom