• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo for Mossberg 500, RANGE and BEGINNER to Shotgun use

I just got my first shotgun, but have experience with handguns. I am looking for two things:
1. For a Mossberg 500 12gauge, looking for range ammo suggestions that will go easy on my body. Something with less kickback. #7 Birdshot? Low FPS? Lead? Other? Anything to avoid? Anything to require that would be helpful to know?
2. Now the hard part... Where can I buy what you are recommending? Ideally ONLINE, but stores in the vicinity of Boston would be helpful, +/- 25 miles. A case would be nice.

Thanks so much!

Practice with #8-#9 used for trap or skeet, steel or lead doesn't matter. I've seen it for $11-$12 box, double what I paid pre madness. Target sports USA has a separate thread here on mail order but I don't know their current state.

Way back when, when a Mossburg 500 was my only firearm and we were living in a crappy area I taught my wife to shoot it with #8's and she got comfortable around the gun. Of course I kept it loaded with 00 buck for real but figured an apology if she ever had to use it was better than teaching her with 00 loads.

Last edited:
1649272217934.png
1649272247553.png
1649273788411.png

Let's start with the basics, how to read a box of shotshells:

1649272343677.png

Gauge: gauge is theoretically determined by taking a one-pound piece of lead and dividing it into fractional lead spheres. 12-gauge is 1/12 of a pound of lead, which comes out to 1 1⁄8oz of lead. 16-gauge is 1/16 of a pound of lead, or 1oz. And so on and so forth. Because we're talking fractions of a pound, the smaller the number, the bigger the payload being shot, and thus, more recoil.

Shell length: shotgun shells come in different lengths depending on the purpose of the shell. Lighter-recoiling loads in 12-gauge are typically 2 ¾ inches long when fired. Then there's 3" and 3 1/2" shells. Longer shells typically contain more powder and lead than shorter shells, but don't assume this, and make sure to fully understand what you're buying by looking at all the variables.

Dram equivalent: this is the theoretic amount of black powder in a shell. This can at times be used as a poor man's recoil calculator, but isn't very accurate a measurement of recoil. The lower the dram equivalent, generally, the less recoil the shells create.

Shot weight: again, as mentioned before, gauge is a fraction of a pound of lead. As mentioned above, in theory, a 12-gauge shell should contain 1 1⁄8oz of lead. Thus, if you want less recoil, you can get shells with less shot in them. For example, 1oz 12-gauge is very common when someone wants lighter loads. However, don't go too light, because this can lead to inconsistent shot patterns. Remember, shot is a column of pellets being launched at a target. Less shot means less hits. But more shot means more recoil.

Shot size: see the diagram above. The higher the number from 0 (and any iteration of zero, such as 0000, 000, 00, or 0) to 9-12, the smaller the individual pellets are. Generally, bigger pellets mean more recoil. However, this is a huge generalization. Are you going to notice much recoil difference between 1 1⁄8oz of 7.5 versus 1 1⁄8oz of 8? Probably not, especially as a new shooter.

Velocity: different shells come with different velocities. More velocity means the shot needs to be propelled faster, which generally means more recoil.

Choke: choke is a different discussion than shotgun shells, but what choke you're using should sync with whatever projectiles you're shooting. If you're shooting a shotgun slug, for instance, its not recommended to use a choke tighter than say improved cylinder. Choke is something you want to keep in the back of your mind.

With all that said, how do you determine which shells to buy?

(1) What are you shooting at?
(2) Does where you're shooting have any particular rules regarding shells?
(3) Do you need nontoxic shot?
(4) How much are you going to be shooting?
(5) How much are you willing to spend per round?

Generally, most clay pigeon shooting (sporting clays, skeet, trap, 3-gun) is going to involve lighter loads of birdshot from sizes 7.5 to 9. Size 8 shot is typically associated with trap and size 9 is typically associated with skeet. Almost every gun club I've been to has had rules saying which shot sizes you can use for different gun games. Usually between 7.5 and 9.

Hunting is a lot more complicated. There's everything from slugs to tiny bismuth shot for small birds.

Home defense is typically either 00 buckshot or slugs, though some people get creative with things like turkey loads or heavier bird shot. But the baseline is 00 buckshot.

Attachments

• 1649272262535.png
    1649272262535.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
If you're worried about recoil I suggest you study the correct technique and not develop bad habits. A well fitting shotgun, good shoulder and cheek weld, thoracic extension, and a good combat stance.

I just got my first shotgun, but have experience with handguns. I am looking for two things:
1. For a Mossberg 500 12gauge, looking for range ammo suggestions that will go easy on my body. Something with less kickback. #7 Birdshot? Low FPS? Lead? Other? Anything to avoid? Anything to require that would be helpful to know?
2. Now the hard part... Where can I buy what you are recommending? Ideally ONLINE, but stores in the vicinity of Boston would be helpful, +/- 25 miles. A case would be nice.

Thanks so much!
Stick with birdshot with 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce payloads for less recoil. When you ger up into high brass with 1 1/4 ounce or higher payloads the recoil goes up a bit...not terrible recoil but high brass loads have a noticeable increase over lighter payloads.

If your worried about recoil stay away from slugs.

Now the hard part... Where can I buy what you are recommending? Ideally ONLINE, but stores in the vicinity of Boston would be helpful, +/- 25 miles. A case would be nice.
it is hard.
the prices now went a bit lower than it was, you should be able to find cases at 40c per round - but look for places with free shipping. local shops probably not going to have a lot at low prices.
it is really as simple as going here:

and then checking each listed vendor if they will ship it to you or not. steel city shows something - they do. check the others also.

Minute Man Sportsmanship Club in Burlington. Shotgun only clays club is going to be running intro sessions on Saturdays. Call them for details. Anybody there would likely help you out with recommendations on loads and technique.

Thanks everyone, I should be all set for now. I feel privileged and honored that so many wrote to help me, in such a short time. I hope to repay the favor to others as I gain knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom