Ammo has never been cheaper

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
wish my wallet felt that way. I haven't been to the range in a month with my Canik because every mag is $2.50.... Which isn't a lot, but my miserly mind thinks of other things I could do with that moolah.....

I probably spend $60/hr in ammo.

this article says inflation adjusted price of .45 ammo is lower than it has been since 1950
If they are talking military rifle cartridges (5.56, 308, 30-06, 54R, 545x39, 762x39...50bmg...) they are smoking major crack. 🤣 The others, argument might be more believable.

They make the comparison to the cost of houses new cars and gasoline in regards to inflation. Gasoline may be a real comparison but houses and cars not so much.

Ammo prices (as gas prices) are so volatile and driven by by what is going on in the world today. A mass shooting or a destroyed pipe line or refinery will up Ammo or gas prices immediately. Car and house prices rise much slower.

this article says inflation adjusted price of .45 ammo is lower than it has been since 1950
Nah. The advancement in production and quantity of production has lowered the price. Seems I read something somewhere about price and demand.

No one was afraid of guns going away back then either, I'd rather the peace of mind they had back then. Not to mention a couple original Tommys and/or true mil spec AR 15s.

Nah. The advancement in production and quantity of production has lowered the price. Seems I read something somewhere about price and demand.

No one was afraid of guns going away back then either, I'd rather the peace of mind they had back then. Not to mention a couple original Tommys and/or true mil spec AR 15s.

I also have to wonder what kind of pricing the article used as a source obviously if there's retail prices printed somewhere that might not be ground reality. Back before the internet discounts weren't offered directly to the consumer the same way as they are now. So well they might have used the price sheet from some gun shop one has to ask the question of what kind of negotiated price could have been had in person verbally back then. On the other hand if they're using wholesale pricing provided by vendors as a reference that would make more sense to be accurate.

chart

They make the comparison to the cost of houses new cars and gasoline in regards to inflation. Gasoline may be a real comparison but houses and cars not so much.

Ammo prices (as gas prices) are so volatile and driven by by what is going on in the world today. A mass shooting or a destroyed pipe line or refinery will up Ammo or gas prices immediately. Car and house prices rise much slower.

Especially houses - Average square footage in 1950 compared to today? Nobody is building starter homes. Maybe starter condos.

Especially houses - Average square footage in 1950 compared to today? Nobody is building starter homes. Maybe starter condos.
Yeah houses are nuts these days. I own (meaning mortgage free) a 960 square foot raised ranch....built in 1963. We just started thinking about moving to nh and went to a few open houses.......Jesus christ on a skateboard......any house built since the year 2000 is f***ing HUGE! Who the f*** needs 2700 to 3500 square feet of finished living space my God. I don't need all that space nor do I want to pay yo heat it! The only houses in the 1000 to 1200 square foot range are old and need work.....or recently remodeled and they are asking way too much.

Yeah houses are nuts these days. I own (meaning mortgage free) a 960 square foot raised ranch....built in 1963. We just started thinking about moving to nh and went to a few open houses.......Jesus christ on a skateboard......any house built since the year 2000 is f***ing HUGE! Who the f*** needs 2700 to 3500 square feet of finished living space my God. I don't need all that space nor do I want to pay yo heat it! The only houses in the 1000 to 1200 square foot range are old and need work.....or recently remodeled and they are asking way too much.
Check out Madbury. Close enough to be able to get to Dover and have amenities, but still has the 30-50 year old homes you are thinking of in the mid 200s to high 300s. Old and need to be remodeled is better if you want the home to taste.

My house in GA is 3,000 square ft finished space plus a 400+ square ft screen room we added.

It’s very nice to come home to after living in a 400 square ft camper for several months.

The only thing I regret about my house is that it has a teo car garage. I could realky use more space.

My house in GA is 3,000 square ft finished space plus a 400+ square ft screen room we added.

It’s very nice to come home to after living in a 400 square ft camper for several months.

The only thing I regret about my house is that it has a teo car garage. I could realky use more space.
We're clearly from 2 different worlds.

We're clearly from 2 different worlds.
Yup.

We had son and three grandchildren living here. Not planned when we built it, but space was good.

I work at home. Two “spare” bedrooms are instead my office and my exercise room.

We perhaps have more space than we “need” - but it works for us.

Yup.

We had son and three grandchildren living here. Not planned when we built it, but space was good.

I work at home. Two “spare” bedrooms are instead my office and my exercise room.

We perhaps have more space than we “need” - but it works for us.
We have one son he's almost graduating college. We wanted more kids but with my army career I was gone alot. If we had more kids we probably would have wanted a bigger home eventually But.....we bought this home from a woman who raised 3 kids in it. 960 square feet......3 small bedrooms, 1 bath, eat in kitchen and a small living room.

Space "requirements" have changed.

Back in like 2009 you could get a case of pracrice .223 for $199 and a case of M855 for $289. 9mm was never over $200 a case either.

We aren't even close to the cheapest ammo in my lifetime.

Just like gold in the late 90's, the market for commodities doesn't go up and down evenly. The 2000's were the sweet spot for cheap ammo and components. Fewer people reloaded b/c it was just so little $ that was actually saved. $1.50 on a box of 9mm - and it was already crazy cheap.

People forget that gold was $300 an ounce in teh late 90's. They also forget that $1 gas in 95 is not $1 gas today. You need a slide rule to keep it all straight.

Aside - I saw a YT from the gub'mint on how to use a slide rule. What a steaming pile those things were. LOL. You needed a slide-rule to figure out how to use your slide-rule.

wish my wallet felt that way. I haven't been to the range in a month with my Canik because every mag is $2.50.... Which isn't a lot, but my miserly mind thinks of other things I could do with that moolah.....

I probably spend $60/hr in ammo.
Every round I fire is pushing $6 every mag $60

Back
Top Bottom