• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo ordering etiquette

I shoot a large helping of 22LR at the range, many times a month.

1.) Is it acceptable to ask a LGS owner to order a case for me, when he places his next order? ("Acceptable" meaning...is it cool to do so?)

2.) I've purchased cases before, but not of 22LR. Is there any technical or practical reason that an LGS wouldn't do this? (i.e. 22LR is in such demand that someone can't order case(s) at a time?)

3.) No, I'm not looking for a discount, just the convenience (and a particular brand).

Anything practical or wise you can add, I'd love to hear it.

TIA

Last edited:
I have had stores do that for me with other ammo. those stores are closed now, but none of them batted an eye at it.

There are people who don't buy ammo by the case?

The only offense I could see is if you asked the LGS to give you their price. Other than that, it's just a business transaction and they are after all a business. As long as they are making a profit on it, the number one rule in business, I don't see why you couldn't ask. Like jpm said, "...what's the worst they'd say??"

You are only asking for a favor if you are being cheap on the price or trying to get something that the shop is rationing to keep multiple customers happy in a time of shortage.

Otherwise, this sounds like a restaurant patron saying "May I have ...?" rather than "I'll order the....".

No harm in asking, also no harm in asking price beforehand either. **** the concept of assailing their senses. They are in business to service their customers, no? I also fail to see the harm in shopping around. Identify those shops who actually do their job and act accordingly.

No harm in asking, also no harm in asking price beforehand either. **** the concept of assailing their senses. They are in business to service their customers, no? I also fail to see the harm in shopping around. Identify those shops who actually do their job and act accordingly.

also if you have a source of a vendor for what you need see if they will hve it ordered in for you and agree on a price or fee..... I still have not found a place that will do this though[angry]

Hell I'll ask my local grocery store manager to order shit in for me. They had a huge sale on canned goods and i was planning on buying a hundred cans. I spoke to the manager about how i planned on buyin a hundred or more canned goods and he appreciated that i asked so he could adjust his order as to not run out for his other customers. I also offered to put down a partial deposit to let him know i was an actual buyer not a window shopper. Worst is they say no, best is they offer you a great price.

The only offense I could see is if you asked the LGS to give you their price.

I agree completely, and wouldn't. I appreciate the effort it takes to be a LGS, and just want to get bulk for convenience, not a discount.

The recurring theme in these posts is "why the hell not; worst they can say is no..."...so I took that advice and shot (pun - sorry) my LGS a note last night.

Let's see what happens...

- - - Updated - - -

Hell I'll ask my local grocery store manager to order shit in for me.

My dear, sweet Mother used to do this with our LGS (local GROCERY store) for ordering Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce!

I absolutely agree that the concept is not impolite in theory, but the reality may (may) be a little more complex than ordering a skidload of baked beans.

A year+ ago, during the depths of the .22LR drought, the owner of a small (but rather well-regarded) LGS shared some of the nuances of the ammo supply chain. IIRC, they said that most non-chain stores have to deal with suppliers (wholesalers, middlemen, ...) rather than placing orders directly with the ammo manufacturers. The wholesaler's price depends upon how much the store has ordered in the past. Also, in times of high demand and short supply, wholesalers reward their best (i.e., biggest, longest running, most consistent) stores with the best share of their insufficient allotment of scarce product from the manufacturers.

So on the one hand, a store would not merely enjoy making some money on the order (and pleasing the retail customer). They would also be pleased that a bulk order would improve their volume with the distributor, which might someday pay off in preferential supply, preferential prices, etc.

But on the other hand, in the case of a product whose current demand exceeds supply, you're not doing the retailer a short-term favor by promising to buy a case. Really high-demand product will sell out virtually upon hitting the shelves (at full retail pricing). But more far importantly, for a product whose demand exceeds supply, the wholesaler is not going to say to the LGS, "well, since you said kderby promised to buy a case all by himself, I'll just have to allocate another case to your next order".

So your attempt to place a bulk order of something in short supply doesn't increase the amount that the store will receive - it just diverts some of their next order of hen's teeth from other customers to you. Under some conditions of extreme demand, that means that the LGS has less of the valuable stuff to parcel out to everyone else. Taken to the limit over the long term the store gets the reputation of a place that never has any of the most popular product in stock.

Ironically, right now just about everyone has some .22LR on the shelf 24x7 except Wal-Mart. By Sunday afternoon there might be nothing left but hyper-pricey target/subsonic/no-lead - something with very narrow appeal. But if you absolutely positively need .22, you can get some if you're willing to pay the price. However this may mean that demand is still high enough that retailers can't take delivery on everything they could sell. If so, private orders are similar to Wal-Mart workers skimming .22 off of the skid at the loading dock with employee purchases, then reselling at black-market prices. Someone's getting that ammo, but it's not the random customers walking in the front door. And so you shouldn't be surprised if you discover that retail stores are not falling all over themselves to bulk order scarce product for you.

BTW, if any NES retailers want to take issue with the above - to claim that this summer they order direct from CCI, have no quota limits, etc; that's fine by me. It was just one 10 minute chat I had with the owner, and maybe I forgot some of it. Maybe you should start by trying to use such any such NES store who has a reliable supply pipeline this summer.

DAFUQ? Have you been yelled at at a gun shop or something in the past? You're the customer. It's a privilege for the shop to have you in, not the opposite. If they have a problem, find a new shop. There are plenty around

Dissertations being presented on asking for more ammo at a place that sells ammo. Weird thread.

No, not really. I'm finding that there's a (sometimes overbearing) amount of community etiquette that must be followed to enjoy my 2A rights, especially here in Mass. I'm quickly finding that not following these (sometimes unpublished) rules of the 2A road could get me on some people's agitated sides quickly, so I'm trying to ask questions rather than assume...and avoid making an ass out of me.

Trying to be a good 2A citizen.

Back
Top Bottom