• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Quality Assurance?

namedpipes

NES Member
I've acquired some boxes of ammunition in varying condition.

Mostly good and I'll enjoy, er, disposing of them.

Some are quite old. I'm not concerned with the ones that just have a bit of white corrosion at the tip, but . . .

A few have bullets that are loose in the cartidge (installed, but not firmly seated). If noone has a better idea, I'm planning to disassemble those and try my hand at reloading next winter or spring.

Some have "muck" green corrosion on the casings, but appear fine otherwise. Given the cost of ammo, I *think* the best answer for those is to wipe them down with a baby wipe and set them to dry before reboxing more carefully. Is there any reason to think those rounds are bad internally? Any better ideas?

Is there a website, book, other resource that covers the subject of ammo q/a and classification? Some aren't marked in any useful way.

Digression: There are two of the cutest little rounds. They're .22, but the shortest little buggars I've ever seen, and the bullet at the tip is tiny.

If the ammo is commercial, a little lead oxidation does no harm. The ammo with the green brass was probably in a leather ammo belt to long.
I buff that off using a fine wire wheel. I bet it will all fire.
If it looks like reloads, I would pull the stuff down to components.

If the ammo is commercial, a little lead oxidation does no harm. The ammo with the green brass was probably in a leather ammo belt to long.
I buff that off using a fine wire wheel. I bet it will all fire.
If it looks like reloads, I would pull the stuff down to components.

Thanks, Big, you had mentioned the white corrosion to me when we met over the 32 shorts, so I wasn't worried about those.

Thanks for the wire wheel pointer.

[grin]

Back
Top Bottom