Ammo question from a newbie

Took a ride to Stoneham to purchase some Serbian .308 for my Rem 700p. It was cheap and thought I'd stock up. The brass is obviously the same size but the bullet itself is a bit longer than your ordinary store bought brand. I took a Serbian, Winchester and an American Eagle round and with safety on, chambered a round to feel the difference. The AE and Win slid in perfectly with the bolt but the Serbian needed a bit more of a push to be chambered. Is it the length of the bullet itself that's causing this? and could this lead to any problems?. If you havent a clue what I'm talking about, I do apologise and feel free to call me at 978-290-7950. thanks, Matt

Question. Is it Serbian .308 or 7.62x51mm?

It is generally safe to shoot military 7.62x51mm in a commercial rifle, but not the other way around.

Many surplus rifles have chambers that may exceed SAAMI spec, but spec out fine by military standards.

There is a difference between military and civilian brass. NATO brass is stronger in order to deal with rifles and machine guns that may be close to needing a new barrel.

If the bullet is protruding far enough to engage the rifling to the point that you have to force the bolt forward and it is hard to close, you may have a serious problem awaiting you.

If the bullet is engaging the rifling, an overpressure situation could develop. It could just be a stronger recoil. Or it could be bad enough to shear the locking lugs off of the bolt. The latter could result in the bolt coming straight back into your face.

If you plan on shooting this ammo, I would have someone who is VERY knowledgeable check out your particular rifle/ammo combination.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. it's .308 Winchester. To be on the safe side, I decided to sell it on this site. Why take the chance? It looks like it should be a belt fed ammo. I'm sure someone has use for it somehow.

If you chamber a round, and then extract it, look at the bullet, if you see rifleing on the bullet, there could be a pressure problem if fired. I have a 98 Mauser American Eagle & an Isralie re-barreled model 93 chambered in 308. I reload on the light side for the 93, but have shot a lot of military stuff in the 98 with no problems.

there is rifling on the bullet. like I stated earlier, I'm not taking any chances , not that there's any problems with the rounds itself. I'd rather not use it and get rid of it

Back
Top Bottom