Ammo Shortage To Continue Until Summer 2021

I guess using the Windows Snipping Tool copy/paste does not work for others, even though I can see it?

Geezus - this ammo shortage thing is the worst I ever remember seeing it. The prices are freaking crazy.

I've got a pretty big stock of ammo already - but when the shortage paranoia starts kicking in I start looking around to see if it's possible to pick up some more.

Last night I was looking around to see if there's any 7.62x39 available - because that's the caliber I'm lowest on. The prices are INSANE. I can remember when steel case was like $150 for 1k rounds. Now it's going to for $800+ on Gunbroker. I've got plenty of brass sitting around that I could keep myself busy processing , but I could use a carbide die set - so I checked the Dillon site - and they're going for $190 (for .223/5.56) , but backordered possibly into 2022. Looking around on Gunbroker and Fleabay, and people are looking to get $450 plus - an people are bidding on them.

WTF.

Yup. I heard because of covid restrictions and sourcing materials, primers and casing materials and such, is the reason why they can't catch up. So they have a 200% increase in demand but are working at 50%. Not a good combination for the rest of us waiting on the ammo to start flowing again

I have a 3 gallon plastic jug with my reloading stuff that I just dump all the de-capped primers into when I'm processing brass. I always figured when I filled it up I'd take that and all the scrap brass and other metals I have hanging around to scrap guy and cash it in.

Now there's guys on Youtube detailing how to reload PRIMERS. When I first saw that I was like "WTF - it's starting to feel like I'm living in Pakistan , and we're beating AKs out of shovels and reloading primers just to get by...."

Maybe I'll have to hang onto that jug - it might come in useful some day

WHAT INABILITY is that?

I would hope it would be mostly automated in this day and age.

I think a lot of it is automated , but that is where the costs come in. Have you ever looked into the machinery for manufacturing ammo? On the industrial level it's VERY specialized -and very expensive.

Even the "industrial" level reloaders - are relying on a large amount of hand labor:

Can't even get reloading dies, want to get set up for 30.06 for the Garand, can't find Redding (or any others for that matter) anywhere!

I bet if you look on Ebay or Gunbroker you'll be able to find them - but they're gonna be priced at something like 3x-4x what the "normal" retail price is.

It's pretty obvious there's a lot of people out there looking to cash in on the shortages. I've seen a few NES screen names on Gunbroker selling ammo..................[rofl]

Can't even get reloading dies, want to get set up for 30.06 for the Garand, can't find Redding (or any others for that matter) anywhere!
Wow I just looked around and it is tough out there. Gunbroker has some but price is obviously higher.

At this point I'll just wait it out.
I could probably loan you my Lee 30-06 dies to borrow for a bit? Cover cost for USPS flat rate shipping? I haven't reloaded 30-06 for almost a year. Got a bunch loaded plus factory ammo on hand. I don't see myself reloading 30-06 anytime soon.

I recommend signing up for email notification from Midwayusa too. They seem to be getting dies in stock but they sell fast.

I could probably loan you my Lee 30-06 dies to borrow for a bit? Cover cost for USPS flat rate shipping? I haven't reloaded 30-06 for almost a year. Got a bunch loaded plus factory ammo on hand. I don't see myself reloading 30-06 anytime soon.

I recommend signing up for email notification from Midwayusa too. They seem to be getting dies in stock but they sell fast.
That's very nice of you to offer but I'm not there yet. I load 308 so I have a ton of 150gr FMJ but no empty cases. Plus I need to get other assorted tools. Kind of glad I kept the CCI #34 primers I tried selling..at least now I have a use for them..LOL

... there's guys on Youtube detailing how to reload PRIMERS.
4w6ny3.jpg

@Broccoli Iglesias

So Remington hasn't been making ammo at all this whole time?

Yes, for the better part of a year. Supposedly they were at 10% but IMHO more like "zero percent" because other than gun club shotgun shells, and maybe some hunting ammo, I havent seen shit from remington in gun shops for a long ass time (that wasnt like, old stock)

At this point I'll just wait it out.
I just set in-stock alerts for 300 BLK dies. After a month or so, Midway had them in stock and I got them pretty easy. I don’t think there was a mad rush to buy them like ammo or primers. You just gotta set the alerts and wait.

I just set in-stock alerts for 300 BLK dies. After a month or so, Midway had them in stock and I got them pretty easy. I don’t think there was a mad rush to buy them like ammo or primers. You just gotta set the alerts and wait.
Alert set for Redding dies, pretty much the only brand I'll use nowadays.

In stock!

In stock!
All the Redding 3006 sets were in stock, thanks for the heads up, ordered the premium, I've become fond of the mic on the bullet seater die.

Time for my once-every-three-four pages comment I guess:
So happy now looking back when I was buying ammo cans of 5.56 saying to myself, "why am I buying all this ammo? this is stupid, I'll never shoot it all, NES has me riled up into a panic to buy ammo for no reason, this is a waste of money".

The question i keep asking is where is all the mexican and russian ammo? It was coming in pretty steady then a trickle. I would have to imagine these companies would be loving that america is eating up all their ammo at inflated prices.

The question i keep asking is where is all the mexican and russian ammo? It was coming in pretty steady then a trickle. I would have to imagine these companies would be loving that america is eating up all their ammo at inflated prices.

Mexican, you mean like Aguila? Yeah it is kinda weird lately... less Aguila, PMC (South Korean) and Tula around. But I suspect its probably imported in large lots. If the importer cant fill a container with it or container(s) theyre not going to ship partials, etc.

Mexican, you mean like Aguila? Yeah it is kinda weird lately... less Aguila, PMC (South Korean) and Tula around. But I suspect its probably imported in large lots. If the importer cant fill a container with it or container(s) theyre not going to ship partials, etc.
Yes sir. I used to see Aguila often along with russian ammo up until maybe july of last year. Then it was like it just vanished.

price of IMI 9mm hollow points at Larry's went down from 1.2 per round to 1.0. This might be the sign that panic is starting to calm down

Time for my once-every-three-four pages comment I guess:
So happy now looking back when I was buying ammo cans of 5.56 saying to myself, "why am I buying all this ammo? this is stupid, I'll never shoot it all, NES has me riled up into a panic to buy ammo for no reason, this is a waste of money".
I've been pulling out the sales invoices from ammo I bought many years ago and still have around - looking at what I paid for it. I makes me feel a good that in most cases I paid about 1/3 to 1/4 of what stuff is going for now.

The Hornady 10th edition reloading manual goes for $34.99 on Midway, but it's out of stock.

Took a look on Ebay - and the completed and sold auctions - have the book going for anywhere from $89.00 to $135. With the average seeming to be right around $99.00

WTF.
That came with my press, you could probably buy the kits and resell for more as pieces

Back
Top Bottom