• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo ?

i just got some federal hi-power 9mm luger subsonic 147 jhp for free. i got three questions. what is subsonic ? second can i shoot them in my glock? i dont have a glock manual to tell me plus the boxes look really old but the rounds look good what is the self life on ammo?

Let me take a stab at this.

Sub-sonic= les than the speed of sound.

Shoot them in your Glock, sure, but you may have trouble w/ gun cycling if spring is heavy.

As to the ammos age??? I'll leave that to more experienced folks.
I'm thinking anything older than 20 yrs might be to old.

life

leave it to the young ones to worry about old.I have military that dates to the 70s.only ones I have trouble with is the lebel and jap.I had some 1887 german in the 1950s and a gew 71/84 that shot them every time.[rofl][rolleyes]

Yeah, ammo can be pretty darned old and still function fine so long as it was stored ok.

Most 147gr 9x19mm standard pressure ammo is subsonic ANYHOW, so it may just work fine or it may, as has been said, be borderline for cycling if it's at the weaker end of the pressure range and you have a strong spring. (SoS=about 1120fps at sea level and about 1040fps at 1 mile high; muzzle vel of most 147gr standard pressure 9x19mm is 980-1050fps)

The most common purpose for subsonic ammo is use with a suppressor (silencer) since otherwise you get the sharp crack of the round breaking the sound barrier. It's going to be quieter than regular 9mm anyhow because of that. It's jacketed so it should be no prob in the Glock, other than, as has been said, cycling issues since it might be a little weak.

cycling issues since it's might be a little weak.

It will not be a problem. We used it in my department's handguns for years and it functions fine. Anything in a 147 grain is going to be subsonic.

Let me take a stab at this.

Sub-sonic= les than the speed of sound.

Shoot them in your Glock, sure, but you may have trouble w/ gun cycling if spring is heavy.

As to the ammos age??? I'll leave that to more experienced folks.
I'm thinking anything older than 20 yrs might be to old.

Grin, still shooting 1984 Win Match .45 230 gr. hardball and 1984 TZZ in both 185 and 230 gr. All work without problem. Using them in both a Kimber Grand Raptor II and a Sig P220 Elite. The match-grade stuff seems to be no problem at all.

I've got early 40's ammo and have shot stuff from the 30's. All my .30-06 is 40's. If I didn't see the head stamps or boxes I wouldn't have known it wasn't new.

I know people shoot older stuff than that too.

Age really isn't an issue, generally.

I have three boxes of original army issue 45-70 black powder ammo Even has reloading data on the boxes, dated 1892. I bought this in the 50's along with a Springfield trap door carbine. It is a collectors item, but I fired a few rounds for kicks, and they all fired. I had to do some serious cleaning afterward because I am sure the primers were mercuric, along with the BP.

Back
Top Bottom