• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammunition dealer

What kind of license is needed in order to sell ammunition? Is it the same as an FFL to sell firearms? What is the process? I imagine it is still somewhat restrictive, but not as much as a firearms dealer?

Does anybody think that an ammo store would do well in Central MA? How about if combined with other supplies? Just wondering.

Why would you want to open it in MA? Nobody is gonna want to pay the 6.25% tax if they can avoid it.

-Mike

06 FFL (type 6).

It is NOT the same as an FFL to deal in firearms generally (01 FFL IIRC).

I have no idea what the requirements are, but I would presume that you have to be ok with local zoning to run a business from your location. There will be record keeping requirements and audits as well. The barriers of "store front" with an 01 FFL may or may not apply, I honestly have no idea... You can call the ATF and ask.

Do you need a 06 for selling ammo? Or manufacturing it?

No ATF paperwork is needed for retail sales. If your planning on importing ammunition from outside of the country then its a different story....Local/State laws would apply for the sales and warehousing. Check in with your local PD and fire Dept.

Nobody mentioned "load ammo and sell it" until you did.

I was thinking something like a gun shop, only offering everything except the guns. Think of it like a general store for gun guys. It could even include cigars, flashlights, batteries, fishing stuff, tools/hardware/etc.

This would avoid a lot of the licensing issues, yet provide a lot of utility to a lot of people.

As a distributor, the profit on ammo is dismal at best unless you are able to move large quantities, hundreds of thousands of rounds. That's why we see distributors like Ammoman, Wideners and Palmetto State Armory existing, they have some of the lowest prices/profit per 1000 and still exist. Your better off selling lemonade on the street corner.

What kind of license is needed in order to sell ammunition? Is it the same as an FFL to sell firearms? What is the process? I imagine it is still somewhat restrictive, but not as much as a firearms dealer?

On the local state level it's a separate license. May issue by local chief.

No ATF paperwork is needed for retail sales. If your planning on importing ammunition from outside of the country then its a different story....Local/State laws would apply for the sales and warehousing. Check in with your local PD and fire Dept.

You'll need an 01 FFL to sell ammo. Wholesalers/distributors won't sell to you unless you have this. The state and your town will require this before issuing a MA state License to Sell Ammunition! One of the question on the BATF&E form for this is, "Do you comply with all local and state laws?" and another is "Have you notified your CLEO?". For those that may not know, CLEO= Chief Law Enforcement Officer.

Yes, an 06 FFL is for manufacturing ammo. You'll need this if you want to manufacture ammo of any kind, and also to aquire reloading components, (the 4 that are needed to make a cartridge) and depending on which 06 supplier you buy from, you may have to sign paperwork that you will not re-sell the components.

You will need a MA state License to Sell Ammunition, M.G.L. c. 140 ss. 122B. In order to sell ammunition in this state. Chapter and section is taken right from my License to Sell Ammunition.

You will need a Sales and Use Tax Registration available from the State Dept. of Revenue.

And, depending on which town/city you will be located in, you may need a Business Certificate or Business License. Ususally issued by the Town Clerk in persuant with Chapter 110 Section 5 of the M.G.L.

Any other questions, please ask.

Nobody mentioned "load ammo and sell it" until you did.

I was thinking something like a gun shop, only offering everything except the guns. Think of it like a general store for gun guys. It could even include cigars, flashlights, batteries, fishing stuff, tools/hardware/etc.

This would avoid a lot of the licensing issues, yet provide a lot of utility to a lot of people.

I've noticed lately that's it's a pain to find what I need for my new budding black powder passion. I'll show up to your store anyway, but if you stock black powder accessories, including Pyrodex, sabots, shooting patches, measures, flasks, rod assists, BP cleaning products, and so forth I'll leave the store with a much lighter wallet.

Back
Top Bottom