An air frier for drying up brass?

paul73

NES Member
I just spent a bit of time sorting out my 6.5CM brass between large and small primer pockets types and some seems to be rather dirty - probably was dropped in mud at fall/winter and it made me think.

I looked up how much tumblers sell by, plus media to tumble in and then concluded that a warm water in a bucket is a simpler way, but, how to get it all dry fast?

And it seems stuff like that one below now sells cheap.

Air Fryer, Premium 2.3QT Electric-Hot Air-Fryer Oil-less healthy Fryer Pot with Timer Controls and Non Stick Basket, PFOA/PTFE Free, 900-Watts, Black Amazon product ASIN B09CDGBCT3View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CDGBCT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CHNF88ZAVT2DFA0N4QQG

I wonder if that would work well, to get brass dried quickly in a dedicated frier like that. Anybody tried something like that?

F that, just put the brass in the oven on an old cookie sheet man, you already have one. Then use your new air fryer to actually cook instead of drying brass lol you'll thank me later.
If wife will ever catch me doing it, hmm. :)
May be. Stove is indeed there already.

I’ve got 2 of these tumbler kits. Has the tumbler, media, case polish, and media separator for $99 shipped. Great deal IMO. I’ve been using mine since 2013 and still going strong.

I don’t dabble in wet tumbling. @nstassel dont you use a food dehydrator for drying your wet tumbler brass?

I’ve got 2 of these tumbler kits. Has the tumbler, media, case polish, and media separator for $99 shipped. Great deal IMO. I’ve been using mine since 2013 and still going strong.

I don’t dabble in wet tumbling. @nstassel dont you use a food dehydrator for drying your wet tumbler brass?
yeah I bought a dehydrator for 20 bucks on Craigslist that holds about 500 9mm cases.

Blowing air on cases which aren't perfectly clean will put heavy metal toxins into the air. Don't be a skinflint and turn your home into a superfund site for your estate to clean up after you die horribly from poisoning.

If wife will ever catch me doing it, hmm. :)
May be. Stove is indeed there already.
Just pawn the air fryer off as a gift, she'll never notice. Air fryer is legit, I cook almost everything in the damn air fryer now. I never use our stove lol

yeah I bought a dehydrator for 20 bucks on Craigslist that holds about 500 9mm cases.
it is a same thing, only air fryer got more power - 900W and gets up to the temperature way faster. as it is just $30 - same idea, pretty much.

Blowing air on cases which aren't perfectly clean will put heavy metal toxins into the air. Don't be a skinflint and turn your home into a superfund site for your estate to clean up after you die horribly from poisoning.
I send my brass to three environmental testing labs approved by Nasa engineers and Cal Tech high energy physicists to ensure pure cleanliness before I place even one into the dehydrator.

Last edited:
Me thinks blowing HOT AIR on NES is worse..........

Lol great now we're inventing fake hazards.
Nah bro, I'm shilling for people to buy proper purpose built tumbling equipment and stop being skinflints.

I swear to G-d NES would buy artificial hearts from Harbor Freight and then complain when family members died and that everything is made by concentration camp labor in China. Some of you skinflints probably exclusively shit in fast food restaurants and gas stations to avoid buying toilet paper/hand soap or paying water & sewer fees. Then the same people go buy a $5000 'limited edition' extractor in multi-cam black or some other bullshit.

Nah bro, I'm shilling for people to buy proper purpose built tumbling equipment and stop being skinflints.

I swear to G-d NES would buy artificial hearts from Harbor Freight and then complain when family members died and that everything is made by concentration camp labor in China. Some of you skinflints probably exclusively shit in fast food restaurants and gas stations to avoid buying toilet paper/hand soap or paying water & sewer fees. Then the same people go buy a $5000 'limited edition' extractor in multi-cam black or some other bullshit.

People drying wet cleaned brass are leadophobes as it is. It is a dubious claim that wet, cleaned brass has enough free lead particulate left on it liable to become airborne in any meaningful way.

People drying wet cleaned brass are leadophobes as it is. It is a dubious claim that wet, cleaned brass has enough free lead particulate on it liable to become airborne in any meaningful way.
The same people being cheap about air drying wet brass might be cutting corners enough being cheapskates so that their brass isn't getting clean enough to begin with.

The same people being cheap about air drying wet brass might be cutting corners enough being cheapskates so that their brass isn't getting clean enough to begin with.
I disagree, every brass wet cleaner type is, at some level, "picky".... Otherwise they wouldn't be cleaning the brass that way. It's slow and inefficient process. That process does not lend itself to the contaminant situation you describe.

I dunno. I'm a fan of dry tumbling (because of simplicity) but I make sure to do it outside so I'm not kicking up lead contaminated dust into my house. I may be paranoid because I'm in the environmental field but I think it's pretty obvious the more times you use the media the dirtier it's going to get.

With wet tumbling all of that lead should be in the water that the brass is tumbling in which should minimize any lead issues inside the house. Though I can't say I'd recommend dumping it into your kitchen sink where you have dishes/utensils sitting. A slop sink in a basement would be better IMO.

Drying brass in summer, just let em sit in the hot sun for the day.

Drying brass in the winter use a cheap Walmart food dehydrator .

I tried the oven method but my brass was going in bright and shiny clean but coming out tarnished from the heat. My oven has a min temp of 160f so probably a bit too much heat..

I set my food dehydrator for 120f and they still look like shiny new when done.

A cheap cookie sheet sitting on a seed starting heat mat overnight does a pretty nice job for me. As a bonus, I can use it to start seeds in the spring.

what level of cleanliness are you trying to achieve, op? just get the bits of dirt, soot and other misc. debris off or are you trying to get it factory fresh and shiny? cause there's really no need to wet wash as others before me have mentioned. every week, in all the usual places...craigs list or fb classified, someone is getting out of reloading and are selling their stuff. even the classifieds here we've had a plethora of used equipment and a tumbler is usually in there too, most times for cheap. tumbling is not the level of clean you're looking for?

what level of cleanliness are you trying to achieve, op? just get the bits of dirt, soot and other misc. debris off or are you trying to get it factory fresh and shiny? cause there's really no need to wet wash as others before me have mentioned. every week, in all the usual places...craigs list or fb classified, someone is getting out of reloading and are selling their stuff. even the classifieds here we've had a plethora of used equipment and a tumbler is usually in there too, most times for cheap. tumbling is not the level of clean you're looking for?
i went with a dry tumble kit in the end, as i do not need to wash them all the time, really. i can wash them when it is needed, and that will not need anything special to be bought.
it was just an idea, as i want to keep it all located in the basement when i deal with it, but, a wet tumbling is really too much hassle for my taste.

Wet tumbling is inefficient? I don't even reload but I wet tumble before going back to the range and throwing it on the ground, how dare you!

Back
Top Bottom