• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ann Margret & VietNam Vets - Class Act!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
This has been around a number of times and Snopes reports that it is true. It's worth a repeat for those that never saw it before. And thanks to ALL who have or are serving, from me!

snopes.com: Ann Margret Thanks Soldiers

------------------

Ann Margret...
Here’s a photo taken of Ann Margret (correct spelling) taken in 1988:

Ann_Margret_1988.jpg

This is a good counter-balance story to the Jane Fonda, “Vietnam Woman Of the Year," story.

Ann_Margret_VietNam_1966.jpg

VietNam1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Ann_Margret-3.jpg

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''

Ann_Margret-4.jpg

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear.

She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there. That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,'' he said. I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

A True Patriot Will Pass This On. A Foreigner In This Country Might Not. Don't be too busy today. Share this inspiring message with friends and family. On behalf of those who DO appreciate all that you did for us, ‘THANK YOU!' to each of you who receive this message who have served or are serving our country in the armed services or any other service.

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Thanks, Len. Nice post. Ann Margaret was a favorite of all the guys too. God bless her and all the others, yeah B. Hope, Raquel Welch and countless other entertainers that tried to lighten up the load of our guys over there. Not Fond-a-Jane though.

John, I used to watch all those shows with Bob Hope and his troupe visiting our troops in VN. They certainly did some good work . . . and they broadcast it on TV. Nowadays all we get is "reality TV"!

This has been around a number of times and Snopes reports that it is true. It's worth a repeat for those that never saw it before. And thanks to ALL who have or are serving, from me!

snopes.com: Ann Margret Thanks Soldiers

<snip>
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

abe59209.jpg

Great find ! Thanks for sharin'. [smile]

Let's not forget Martha Raye either.

She was from the same generation as Bob Hope, and they were both blacklisted in Hollywood because they supported the troops in Vietnam.

I met her once in an Army Hospital.....too many stories to tell...but she was a Hero in my book!

They don't make them like this any more. Thanks for the reminder about Martha Raye.

Remembering Martha Raye ? a Special Forces Angel : VFW North Carolina

There are several viral internet stories about her, and the stories are almost based on fact. She is also the topic of many stories of her disregard for her own safety if it put any GI at risk. When not performing, she spent time with the men playing cards, telling stories, or just being a friend. She is most remembered for or pitching in to load wounded and caring for them while waiting for transportation in Vietnam. Learn more about her in Vietnam and Soc Trang.

She was never in the military, but she earned honorary rank and affiliation. She was made a honorary member of the Green Berets’ Special Forces and was given the honorary rank of Army Lieutenant Colonel. President Lyndon B. Johnson made the presentations, himself. She was also given honors by the United States Marine Corps. They made her a full Colonel. In 1993 she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her lifetime of dedication to the military.

Martha Raye died in 1994 and special consideration was given to burial at Arlington National Cemetery. She asked that she be buried instead with her Special Forces in Ft. Bragg. Her wish was fulfilled and she became the only woman buried at the Special Forces Cemetery at Ft. Bragg. It was with full military honors.

Back
Top Bottom