• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another 1942 SMLE Dispersal rifle save

MJ1

This nice job needed a little TLC, shimming a loose butt socket fit. Soaking the grunge out of the barrel ended up looking like new Rear sight slider full of rust and frozen might have to be replaced, if you have one let me know. Came with a correct dated sling and 1907 bayonet and '42 frog.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEE-ENFI...356453?hash=item48fa9ecce5:g:fBYAAOSwokNgJRCR

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEE-ENFI...356453?hash=item48fa9ecce5:g:fBYAAOSwokNgJRCR

Some how this is drifting off point. It is about the rifle.

UXwwkBk.jpg

Dispersal rifle;

"Roughly, after the 1940 bombing of the Small Heath BSA plant, SMLE production was "dispersed" to smaller facilities in the Birmingham area.
BSA was the only producer of rifles in the UK
icon
at the time, No4 production hadn't even started, so this was mildly important.

From personal observation, the rifles continued the BSA pre-war serial number letter prefixes through L,M and N from 1940-43. Receivers were MkIII (to 1941)and MkIII* from BSA stock, barrels were new made and carry Enfield inspection marks. Furniture can be Walnut or Beech, salvaged or new.
In 1944, salvaged receivers outside of the L-M-N series were built up into rifles with barrels that were also reused---in one case, a barrel from a 1941 Dispersal rifle was renumbered to match a '44 receiver.
The 1944 rifles also have an "FTR" mark at the bottom of the roll stamp marking on the buttsocket---I have not seen a '44 (8 examples) without this yet, but it is possible there are such rifles."

From 'krinko', Milsurps.com

Hope that's not the kitchen table.
t
Of course it is. That gives you quicker access to the dishwasher for parts cleaning!

I've never restored one of my LE rifles. I shoot 'em as I find 'em. I have originals and sporters, No.1 and No.4, and even an original ShtLE Mk. V trials rifle.

Call it adjusting and safety check then. Shoot them as you got them can be asking for trouble or injury.

I run a headspace check and stock fitting. Say like this latest 1942 had a loose butt to socket fit, under recoil that that could 5MOA to 10 MOA spread.

Plus I'm handicapped from being a company level armorer and trained to look for trouble before it breaks or fails .

Lastly I like doing it.

RWcoI7O.jpg

Call it adjusting and safety check then. Shoot them as you got them can be asking for trouble or injury.
Please. That's not at all what I said.

I shoot them in the furniture they were wearing when I got them: "As I got them."

I check headspace. I check the bore. I usually do a full tear-down and cleaning before I even think about shooting any rimmed-cartridge rifle.

I've never re-stocked any of my Enfields, although I've tightened up the stock tension on a few.

Please. That's not at all what I said.

I shoot them in the furniture they were wearing when I got them: "As I got them."

I check headspace. I check the bore. I usually do a full tear-down and cleaning before I even think about shooting any rimmed-cartridge rifle.

I've never re-stocked any of my Enfields, although I've tightened up the stock tension on a few.

Some times you don't have a lot to work with after some expert had IMPROVED AND RARE EXAMPLE almost to death.

I never intended to criticize. Reread both our posting. I believe you have miss understood the meaning of a safety inspection.

Here is a 1945 #4T receiver that had 4" cut off the barrel and only had the original numbered butt stock when I found it fifteen years ago..

3fD5Bee.jpg

This would be a restoration and labor of dedication with help from people all over the world who enjoy such work. Missing but but correct parts flowed from England to Australia. From the proper 1945 MkII scope to a new 1945 marked barrel and finally a complete NEW 1945 stock set yet to be fitted. All priceless and supplied by wonderful people.

f6xgHyV.jpg

Next step.

Xh5JUYw.jpg

Regardless please don't read extra into comments.

Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom