Another Old beater 1913 M96 Swede

mac1911

NES Member
M96 swede all matching except bolt catch. Like anything old the more you clean it and look at the more iy shows its age. Anyhow at 107 yrs old it wearing its age well.
18BAB333-5E27-40AD-BF1B-BAA549C52322.jpeg9CD7D96B-BD55-47BD-BCF3-0E5716B8B40F.jpeg152F265C-6389-42C6-BD64-ADB9547EAC54.jpeg51F21F42-56C1-455B-A404-DC3858A383AB.jpeg1B4455BE-B3DF-435E-92C9-0DCCA2298517.jpeg5D21F063-842A-4031-A965-B68619489977.jpeg

Here is the bore after a deep cleaning.

View: https://youtu.be/9yenF0lqb4Y

After the 15 rounds and some patches

View: https://youtu.be/QhHSwOAnm1I

I lost the before video of the bore but it was dirty. Looked ok just eyeball down the bore but many bored look fine that way.
Note: I recommend never looking into your rifles with a bore scope IF you like them and how they shoot.
Just dont do it. Most will be worse looking than you think.

I shot 17 rounds today with PPU 139 gn soft points. Three, five round groups putting 5 patches through after each group. Nothing special happened. Groups where so so but not full blown scatter like my k98 was at first. I will post those pics later.

When I came home I ran dry patches until they came out sorta clean. Then did a Solvent patch and dry patches again to sorta clean. I then ran some copper cleaner just to see how much copper this barrel was picking up. To my surprise the copper solvent showed little copper .
So I again dry patched the bore until almost clear. Seriously you can blow out your elbow trying to get 100 yr old bores clean.
I need to up load that video. Its cleaning up well. After a few more shoot it , clean it range trips should look nice and hope it shoots well.
Bullets are in bound.

Last edited:
Nice looking stock. What powder are you considering for the reloads? Bullets?

These old rifles are the reason I made a big jar of presoaked patches.

Nice looking stock. What powder are you considering for the reloads? Bullets?

These old rifles are the reason I made a big jar of presoaked patches.
My Swedish connection says to try N560 also says H4895 does well across bullet weights and charges
So if local shop has any swedish powder left I might try some.
Bullets
I found a box of 140 hornady match and a box of Match Monsters on sale with free shipping.
My swedish consultant says the military bores have a generous lead so the longer the better, says his model 63 target rifle has a much shorter lead/throat than the military barrels.
If I RL 23 is local I might try that

5C1CC7DA-7C06-4084-BC47-7FAD0E923F02.jpegwell I emptied some more brass today to make way for the new bullets and powder.
riflew shoots 8-10" high and a little left. I wont bother adjusting the sights just yet. Seems to be grouping better the more I season the bore. The bore has some pitting but after 20 rounds today its looking much better. Smooth action and the straight bolt makes Left hand shooting a tad easier.
I had to hold at 6 oclcok on the lower bulls eye. it was hitting low and left and for the last 12 rounds or so I held center hold on bottom bull to try and get into the black on the top bull. I think it will come around and I will break that sub 2 moa group.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5sRS2EWnM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I received my projectiles today
Both 140 gn
Sierra Match Kings and Barnes Match Burners. Both look nice, the Sierra is a bit shorter and appears to have a bit more bearing surface.
I decided to see just how far the lead is on this rifle. It falls right in line with everything I have read. Its a mile to the lands. These bullets seated out to touch the lands only have the boattail portion of the bullet in the case.

So I have 2 loads to work out. One load for single shot loading and one at mag length for whapidphire!
Hope to get a bit of testing done over the weekend.
Need to chase mountain on his results with his beater swede!
SMK on left swede on right
2881F336-F9D2-4E9A-9A43-722B42C1A028.jpeg
How far the bullet seats to the lands
24EA813D-BD16-461E-8EE8-55CB3C0462ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Using the sierra seating depth of
3.050” COAL I have a jump to the lands of .160” . I can load out to 3.130” and still fit the magazine so I can narrow that jump down if needed.

Winter Warrior: This would be military (modern or vintage) RIFLES only, IRON SIGHTS only, 100 yards on the SR1 center, via any means (bench, sling, sand bag, offhand, upside down backwards with a mirror) that you like, just no lead sleds / clamping devices. Alternate is the SR at 200, either post target or CMP score card. Weather must be below freezing and/or snow on ground. Last pile of snit in the parking lot counts as snow, LOL. Usually I'll throw in some sort of fabulous prize(s) and you either meet me for it or I will ship within 2 years of the closing date. Had too much going on last year but it's 2020 so it must run this year.

Winter Warrior: This would be military (modern or vintage) RIFLES only, IRON SIGHTS only, 100 yards on the SR1 center, via any means (bench, sling, sand bag, offhand, upside down backwards with a mirror) that you like, just no lead sleds / clamping devices. Alternate is the SR at 200, either post target or CMP score card. Weather must be below freezing and/or snow on ground. Last pile of snit in the parking lot counts as snow, LOL. Usually I'll throw in some sort of fabulous prize(s) and you either meet me for it or I will ship within 2 years of the closing date. Had too much going on last year but it's 2020 so it must run this year.
In, im goi g to burn up some "try" powders from the past few years. Plus i have a bunch of cast bullets eager to participate.

I think Ranch Dogs in something is a must. Maybe as cast and coated in the Finn? Coated and sized in a K31? Try some poo-say loads in the 1903 National Match?

I don't have a mold for 6.5 but I'll load something for the beater Swede.

I still have some 54R from the land of Wu Flu that I picked up from @mac1911 . It's fairly accurate in the Finn M39, so I'll definitely have an entry with that. Maybe remove the quick connect POSP scope fromthe VEPR and pretend it's a SVD? Essentially that's what it is sans the commercial stock parts.

In. I have a few to choose from leaving out the Garands and M1 Carbine. 1903, 1903-a3, old Swedes...maybe cast bullets.

On second thought can I request early entry , you know to beat the crowds, cold and snow.

I have yet to find one that does not shoot well. While shooting at Bisley in the UK some years ago my host was shooting 900 yards in the slow fire and cut center seven of ten shots. When I had a turn he told to hold 15 feet high and 12 feet right for the wind. I put two of five in the black.

They use the 139g Senicar FMJBT and RL22. When I came home I looked for two years till I found the rifle I wanted. Well worth the wait.

fwg5V0W.jpg

uRlYLDf.jpg

Enjoy

The swede is improving a bit.
If you can figure out my scribble.
Theres 15 rounds of factory PPU
Blue and red highlite with numbers too I shot that last weekend
Barnes in red , and Sierra Blue Squares today.4B8DACC8-58D7-4985-9422-B5518A8C5149.jpeg1C38CF1F-E1CE-4ED7-81BB-BD88F05C2677.jpeg

It made me laugh to see the Barnes group darn near mirror the PPU group. I shot the reloads round robin so its a fluke AFAIC
The sierra grouped much better.
Will do a little OCW with those. And see if theres a sweet spot

Last edited:
is....is it supposed to do that?
I knew it was going to f*** it up I did not expect a soft point to go through it so cleanly and the plate hardly move. Figure it would send the plate spinning and dish the face of the steel. Its a cheap pistol rated target.
Fun rifle so far. Front sight is far enough away I can see it well.

So far from 7 moa is down to 2.38 moa .

Should see a bit more improvement with a little load testing. Its 10 ring capable for sure.

The new bore scope came, went with the 36" Teslong that was on sale for $39 on amazon. Im using it on my PC . I have no idea how it will work on phones. You need a wifi box for iphone use.
Any how. Much much better than the cheap $14 ones. I have used the cheap ones for a whil. They work ok but no real detail. My last one started to not work so I replaced it with this one. The 90' mirror is pretty darn good. So the Swede crown is not great and the bore likes to pick up copper. It at least has looked better and shot better after each range trip and cleaning. Time to get the copper killer out. This is after 15 rounds. Not terrible for 107 yrs old

heres the scope with the 90' view

View: https://youtu.be/fmkymlIIdaU

here is the straight ahead view. The light is much better on this one

View: https://youtu.be/ifoLotgfLV0

Last edited:
Picked up another M96 for cheap. Went to the range with some of my 140 gr CC loads. Need to get a higher front sight for sure. At 100yds I had to aim at the bottom of the target
to get hits on the paper at all. Initially all over the place but got more consistent the more rounds I shot.IMG_2700.JPGIMG_2701.JPGIMG_2702.JPGIMG_2703.JPG

Picked up another M96 for cheap. Went to the range with some of my 140 gr CC loads. Need to get a higher front sight for sure. At 100yds I had to aim at the bottom of the target
to get hits on the paper at all. Initially all over the place but got more consistent the more rounds I shot.View attachment 403078View attachment 403079View attachment 403080View attachment 403081
Looks nice than mine, nice score. i cant say mine was cheap but i got about $100 worth of ammo and brass with it.
Im under 3 moa with reloads and i think with a little development i can get closer to 2.
The bore looks better each trip and clewning but theres no cure for old firecrscked pitting. But who cares if it can hold the 10 ring!

Back
Top Bottom