Another Polymer 10MM

the XD 10mm looks interesting although I have no use for it. would like to see how well supported they build the chamber and ramp. normally I don't care about chamber support but for real-deal 10mm I'd like the case to be supported as much as possible.

I just don’t get a grip safety on striker fired guns.....

I don't get thumb safeties on striker guns but for some reason they're openly accepted.

nice!
now what is Sigs excuse?

Sig makes a P220 10mm. I own one. great pistol. if referring to the P320 I don't think Sig is going to be building one in 10mm anytime soon.

the XD 10mm looks interesting although I have no use for it. would like to see how well supported they build the chamber and ramp. normally I don't care about chamber support but for real-deal 10mm I'd like the case to be supported as much as possible.

I don't get thumb safeties on striker guns but for some reason they're openly accepted.

Sig makes a P220 10mm. I own one. great pistol. if referring to the P320 I don't think Sig is going to be building one in 10mm anytime soon.

I have two Sig P220s in 10MM. Absolutely my favorite modern production firearms. Unbelievably accurate, perhaps more so than a few custom 1911s I have.

Thread drift: can anyone with first hand knowledge compare the 220 10mm to the TACOPS 1911 10mm in terms of accuracy, balance, workmanship, trigger pull? Would be curious.

Thread drift: can anyone with first hand knowledge compare the 220 10mm to the TACOPS 1911 10mm in terms of accuracy, balance, workmanship, trigger pull? Would be curious.

Accuracy, in my hands is remarkable with the 220. The TACOPS is right up there and comparable to my Scorpion Carry.

Workmanship is also very similar since we're comparing two Sig products.

I shot my friends TACOPS 10mm and wasn't impressed enough to buy one although its a fine gun.

Reliability has been perfect other than the fact that Sig across their entire handgun line doesn't have their tolerances dialed in with their sights, they constantly shoot loose. If you buy either, remove the rear sight and use some thread locker on the set scRew.

I'd like to pick up a Springfield TRP 6" if I can find a used one, or the Kimber Super Jaeger. The nib pricea aren't something I can justify.

the nice part about the P220 10mm is reliability. it feeds anything and runs smooth as butter. my experiences w 10mm 1911’s has been less impressive. yes some run great but many require tuning or may be mag picky.

as noted above my P220 rear sight also loosened and required being retightened w locktite. typical sig bullshit. i was unimpressed by how much wiggle rear sight has in dovetail. but once tightened it doesnt really matter.

personally i prefer shooting a 10mm 1911 but the reliability of the P220 is great. both platforms are more accurate than 99.9% of humans.

the nice part about the P220 10mm is reliability. it feeds anything and runs smooth as butter. my experiences w 10mm 1911’s has been less impressive. yes some run great but many require tuning or may be mag picky.

I could make the same comparison between the SIG P220 and comparably priced 1911's if I was talking about 45 ACP versions also. Note that I am not a SIG fan, and I think it has been 15 years at least since their manufacturing quality was up to the level it should be. But even so, the P220 is a very solid design, and a good P220 is quite likely to run 1,000 consecutive rounds with zero malfunctions, which is my personal standard for "good." I also see some 1911's that run that well, but I can't name any model under $1000 which does so consistently.

I could make the same comparison between the SIG P220 and comparably priced 1911's if I was talking about 45 ACP versions also. Note that I am not a SIG fan, and I think it has been 15 years at least since their manufacturing quality was up to the level it should be. But even so, the P220 is a very solid design, and a good P220 is quite likely to run 1,000 consecutive rounds with zero malfunctions, which is my personal standard for "good." I also see some 1911's that run that well, but I can't name any model under $1000 which does so consistently.

agree although my experience with 9mm or 10mm 1911's suggests that reliability is a bigger issue than with 45acp 1911's. of all the 45 acp 1911's i've owned over the years only 1 really gave me trouble and it was a short slide model. the rest just needed a magazine swap or perhaps extractor tension tuning. on the contrary 10mm 1911's seem to exhibit a range of issues including very little tolerance between rounds in the magazine and the internal lug of the slide lock. it leads to the slide locking open with live rounds in magazine. i've spent way too much time re-shaping the slide lock to resolve this issue.

my P220 in 45acp is retard accurate pistol, although some of that is because 45acp is just so pleasant to shoot and lends itself to shooting accurately. if reliability is the goal then i would go with a P220 over any 1911 (whether we're in 45acp or 10mm).

separate topic but i still find it amazing how many people out there are into 10mm but never shoot 44 mag. if i really want to hear the steel clank i reach for the 629. sure there are even more powerful chamberings but then we're getting into silly-land both with recoil and cost. i was always a 10mm fan but then ~3 years ago I started tinkering with 44 mag and have never looked back. such a GREAT cartridge and fun to shoot.

Last edited:

I'll echo this, I owned a Ruger 1911 10MM for a very brief time when it first came out. I really wish the gun would feed...

I'll echo this, I owned a Ruger 1911 10MM for a very brief time when it first came out. I really wish the gun would feed...

was the slide lock prematurely engaging or no?
if yes almost certainly internal lug of the slide lock contacting bullets as they go up the mag
if no it's usually extractor tension being off so the rim of case cannot transition from the magazine up into the breech face. rugers are notorious bad since they employ internal extractor without any extractor tuning.

Buying a Ruger 1911 in 10mm and expecting it to not be a hot pile of garbage is hilarious to me.

Buy a 220 or G20 if you want a new 10mm that works.

I have a Sig 1911 in 10mm and it's been reliable and accurate with everything I've shot out of it. My only complaint is 10mm brass is not easy to find lying around at the range and this pistol throws empties about 20 feet. I tried a heavier recoil spring but it didn't help.

Buying a Ruger 1911 in 10mm and expecting it to not be a hot pile of garbage is hilarious to me.

Buy a 220 or G20 if you want a new 10mm that works.

Bought a new SR1911 and have not had a single issue with it. Also using Wilson mags and reloads.

So in your 10 trips to the range with your Ruger, what broke?

First gun was an SR45 I bought to check out. It made it about 600rds

So it was not locking back on last round for both mags first trip.. some failures to extract as well.. no big deal. Second trip it began ejecting the mag violently every time you fired it. IMO something was seriously wrong with it and was not safe to shoot so I called Ruger. They were very nice and sent me a label and a box. I sent the gun back free of charge and got it back 3 weeks later. Took it too the range.. ran fine for about 100rds and then started violently ejecting the mag when fired... again. Called Ruger.. of course they were very helpful. They sent me another box and label. They said they've never had that issue and they replaced the whole top end. Took it to the range and it was not locking back on last round as well as failing to extract 1 or 2 times per mag. Sold it.

Next one was a buddies 556 Piston AR from Ruger which is a $1400 rifle. Ran like a top for about 1k rounds. Then it became hot garbage. Wouldnt run, pieces falling off it all the time. Pins backing out. Was sent back to Ruger 2x. Both times it ran ok for about 100rds and then went right back to being a POS.

Look every company makes a lemon or two. I've seen glocks, HKs, Wilson Combats etc that were jam o matics. However if I send a gun back and you say its gtg. It better be f***ing gtg. If its not, I'm done with that company...forever. I shoot 20k+ rounds a year through a handgun and rifle, I don't have time to screw around with bad equipment.

So it was not locking back on last round for both mags first trip.. some failures to extract as well.. no big deal. Second trip it began ejecting the mag violently every time you fired it. IMO something was seriously wrong with it and was not safe to shoot so I called Ruger. They were very nice and sent me a label and a box. I sent the gun back free of charge and got it back 3 weeks later. Took it too the range.. ran fine for about 100rds and then started violently ejecting the mag when fired... again. Called Ruger.. of course they were very helpful. They sent me another box and label. They said they've never had that issue and they replaced the whole top end. Took it to the range and it was not locking back on last round as well as failing to extract 1 or 2 times per mag. Sold it.

Next one was a buddies 556 Piston AR from Ruger which is a $1400 rifle. Ran like a top for about 1k rounds. Then it became hot garbage. Wouldnt run, pieces falling off it all the time. Pins backing out. Was sent back to Ruger 2x. Both times it ran ok for about 100rds and then went right back to being a POS.

Look every company makes a lemon or two. I've seen glocks, HKs, Wilson Combats etc that were jam o matics. However if I send a gun back and you say its gtg. It better be f***ing gtg. If its not, I'm done with that company...forever. I shoot 20k+ rounds a year through a handgun and rifle, I don't have time to screw around with bad equipment.

Thanks for the come back. I will try for more range time with the sr1911. Again so far so good....I do enjoy shooting the 10MM and kinda wish I went with a glock or springfield as opposed to second guessing the Ruger.

Thanks for the come back. I will try for more range time with the sr1911. Again so far so good....I do enjoy shooting the 10MM and kinda wish I went with a glock or springfield as opposed to second guessing the Ruger.

NP.

I have no skin in the game as far as brands. Don't really care what people buy or carry as long as it works for them. However I think I shoot a lot more than most people on the forum, and I carry a gun and a shield every day for the Federal Government. So if I can pass some experience down I will. That's what the forum is for.

I have not had good experiences with any Ruger products I or close friends have bought. Couple that with how many new guns they release every year. I just don't see how they can R&D and properly test all those models. IMO they just pump stuff out and charge you to beta test them.

The only Ruger i own is a 10/22 takedown, and the only part from Ruger is the magazine.

Springfield can fug off. I'm waiting for Ruger, S&W, and Walther to come out with a polymer 10mm. Of those, I only see Ruger actually doing it and the issue I have with that is they'll put it in their American pistol and that this is one ugly plastic turd.

If the 10mm has a following in Europe, I could see Walther doing it. 10mm isn't a "military caliber", so it has that going for it, plus it's metric. S&W seems to have no interest in 10mm, S&W really has no interest in making a handgun chambered in any introduced after 1960 that doesn't have S&W in the name.

I have not had good experiences with any Ruger products I or close friends have bought. Couple that with how many new guns they release every year. I just don't see how they can R&D and properly test all those models. IMO they just pump stuff out and charge you to beta test them.
The LCP, LC9, and SR22 are copies of other pistols and are regarded as improvements over the pistols Ruger copied. The Mark IV pistol was a rushed product that Ruger threw out to compete with S&W's Victory and was not fully proven.

Ruger can be hit or miss with things, I know back during the post Sandy Hook days the employees were told by supers to ship whatever they could, regardless of quality, because the demand was so high. Since then I can say I haven't had an issue with any Ruger I've bought, new or used.

The only gun I've felt like a beta tester was a Marlin .22 I got 4 years ago. Is the most inaccurate .22 I've ever shot.

Back
Top Bottom