• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Unfortunate Gun Bonded Warehouse (Tombstone Trading Post)

Of course the 209A guy should have got his guns back...

But, couldn't Tombstone at least just given the AR15 receiver back and then maybe sent the upper to a gunsmith to install a different brake?

I would also like clarification on the transfer back to the 209A guy.

Are they supposed to just hand it over after you pay the fee or can they refuse because its a "post ban" Glock?
And, then decide to keep it for themselves after you cant afford to pay the fee forever?

I always thought that "post ban" Glocks would be lost forever if taken to a Bonded Warehouse because it's "illegal" to sell a new Glock.

This also bring to light another problem...

What if you do have an upper with a flash hider. Totally separate from a lower.
Would that be confiscated by the PD and kept forever by the Bonded Warehouse?
An AR15 upper is only an unregulated part if it is not connected to a lower.

I was the one who started a thread on a more customer oriented "Bonded Warehouse".
One that could be on call to collect your stuff right away before the PD gets involved.
So this should never have involved an FFL and should have reverted back to original ownership immediately like all the other firearms.
There were many chances for them to have an easy out, but it didn't work that way. So somehow guns that were never going to go to a bonded warehouse ended up at a bonded warehouse.
Once the guns are in their possession they are required to log them in and do a background check as normal. There is no legal way for them to transfer the gen 5 Glock without first having framed it. They didn't and there was a new FA10 done through dealer MIRCS for a whole gun. Which as you said is illegal. Can't really speak to the nebulous vacuum that is the bonded warehouse/police department relationship and where that might end up. We all know how Village Vault did it. 🤣

So this should never have involved an FFL and should have reverted back to original ownership immediately like all the other firearms.
There were many chances for them to have an easy out, but it didn't work that way. So somehow guns that were never going to go to a bonded warehouse ended up at a bonded warehouse.
Once the guns are in their possession they are required to log them in and do a background check as normal. There is no legal way for them to transfer the gen 5 Glock without first having framed it. They didn't and there was a new FA10 done through dealer MIRCS for a whole gun. Which as you said is illegal. Can't really speak to the nebulous vacuum that is the bonded warehouse/police department relationship and where that might end up. We all know how Village Vault did it. 🤣
So, normally to return a gun they just do a background check?

I thought all returns have to go back through MIRCS.

Did the 209A guy actually get his Glock Gen 5 back???

Tissue to block and protect the innocent. LOL.

But here's the proof. Granted it been a few years but it's labeled as 'tax value'. Almost extra 20 bucks on the 35 dollar fee.

Not sure if they still do this but buyer beware.

View attachment 538221

This is worthless without a photo of the 3953.

Because those are cool.

No, it's not. I realize the shade tree ffl in basement standard is like $20 or something but that's not realistic when most have bills to pay. Plus the compliance burden. I would not be shocked if most retail storefront FFLs move to $40-50 when things start drying up. Otherwise it's barely worth the time cost. Especially with internet inbounds where they never drop a dime in your store otherwise.

There's likely a lot of reasons this shop sucks, such as what @Whiskeywon outlined but that's not one of them. Especially not if it was known up front. Ethically this shop should have just allowed @Whiskeywon to inbound the guns and take them off their hands if they were so skeered of them. It's less than a minute of work to log a gun out. That's the despicable part of this.
Your opinion, a transfer shouldn't cost more than $25, especially in a state that is forcing you to do transfers when you exceed what is it 4 a year?

I'm sure that evil crone that runs the shows would love that. 🤣 Make sure you tell her you're selling LED flashlights. Gun books or something boring. Problem is they will stick your booth in the sub-anus of the show unless you're one of her favorites. I've seen all the greasy shit at those things... [rofl]

Hey, gun books aren't boring... you just need books on more interesting guns.

"Hi-Point: Thirty Golden Years, 1992-2022."

Their Facebook reply:

David Peabody The true answer is that we provide a service that is separate from our shop that stores firearms that have been confiscated. We don't take those guns. We charge a reasonable fee to pay for the insurance that covers the firearms while they are stored. 50 cents per day.

The matter that is being complained about here is that the person had firearms confiscated that would have been a felony for us to return. We were not charging $130 to return a single Glock firearm. There was a post-ban semi-auto rifle in an illegal configuration and returning that firearm would be against the rules for us, and a felony for anyone other than law enforcement to possess. We don't agree with that law, but it is the law. We talked with the person who owns the firearms and went over the options to get their firearms out of our possession as soon as possible IN AN EFFORT TO REDUCE THE FEES.

The guy trashing us is another dealer that has a different interpretation of what the law is, I guess.

So much for innocent until proven guilty. If you need the owner's services then- in his own words- you're a criminal:

"To those reading these harassing reviews, left on November 1st, 2021, be aware that our bonded warehouse services are to securely and safely store firearms that have been confiscated by law enforcement for criminal behavior such as domestic violence, assault and battery and other violent crimes. You can imagine why someone who has violated the law would harass a business."

Their Facebook reply:

David Peabody The true answer is that we provide a service that is separate from our shop that stores firearms that have been confiscated. We don't take those guns. We charge a reasonable fee to pay for the insurance that covers the firearms while they are stored. 50 cents per day.

The matter that is being complained about here is that the person had firearms confiscated that would have been a felony for us to return. We were not charging $130 to return a single Glock firearm. There was a post-ban semi-auto rifle in an illegal configuration and returning that firearm would be against the rules for us, and a felony for anyone other than law enforcement to possess. We don't agree with that law, but it is the law. We talked with the person who owns the firearms and went over the options to get their firearms out of our possession as soon as possible IN AN EFFORT TO REDUCE THE FEES.

The guy trashing us is another dealer that has a different interpretation of what the law is, I guess.
I gave him a full response dissecting this message using all relevant m parts of MGL and addressing the misinformation he provided and he deleted all my messages and blocked me.
I cited MGL 140 sec 123, 129D, 131M, and his CMR 940 violation.
The total fees involved for getting back the glock 17 WERE $134 and he charged me an additional $20-30 (can’t remember exact amount but it was between this point) to transfer me a rifle he should have never taken into his books in the first place. He says he spoke with the owner, yes he did after he illegally received these firearms and already had them hostage with a ticking clock of forfeiture.

I gave him a full response dissecting this message using all relevant m parts of MGL and addressing the misinformation he provided and he deleted all my messages and blocked me.
I cited MGL 140 sec 123, 129D, 131M, and his CMR 940 violation.
The total fees involved for getting back the glock 17 WERE $134 and he charged me an additional $20-30 (can’t remember exact amount but it was between this point) to transfer me a rifle he should have never taken into his books in the first place. He says he spoke with the owner, yes he did after he illegally received these firearms and already had them hostage with a ticking clock of forfeiture.
I believe you. Just posting tombstones reply.

Funny, I just commented on their FB about the BW scheme being bullshit. Then I thought, hmm - wonder if there's a thread on NES about this? [laugh]

@Whiskeywon is a solid dude as most of you already know, and I offer the same help as him - if you need help with storage before or after involvement with LE and/or a bonded warehouse, hit me up.

Hey, gun books aren't boring... you just need books on more interesting guns.

"Hi-Point: Thirty Golden Years, 1992-2022."
This is one of the few things that I actually like about gun shows still are the hidden gems that occasionally crop up. I got the Vickers guide to the AK vol 1 & 2 for $130 there. Can't be too mad at that.

50c/day for 2 guns for a week is $134? Even if you deducted 2 transfers, you're still talking $84 for a week's storage.

I can't see Tombstone doing something so stupid as to jeopardize business. Yet I can see a business losing focus. I have a pile of MA-legal's that I was gonna haul up there to just sell directly to them. They need inventory for the gun shows so I've heard they pay decent. I don't want to wait 6 months for something to get sold before I get my $. And have to chase a dealer for my $. (I had a bad experience with Tattle-tale Ted years ago. Guy brushed me off for 2 months before paying me. Scumbag of the Nth degree.)

aware that our bonded warehouse services are to securely and safely store firearms that have been confiscated by law enforcement for criminal behavior such as domestic violence, assault and battery and other violent crimes.

This says it all. They treat every gun owner who’s been a VICTIM of unproven allegations as a criminal, it’s no wonder they are in the business of stealing people’s guns for profit.

50c/day for 2 guns for a week is $134? Even if you deducted 2 transfers, you're still talking $84 for a week's storage.

I can't see Tombstone doing something so stupid as to jeopardize business. Yet I can see a business losing focus. I have a pile of MA-legal's that I was gonna haul up there to just sell directly to them. They need inventory for the gun shows so I've heard they pay decent. I don't want to wait 6 months for something to get sold before I get my $. And have to chase a dealer for my $. (I had a bad experience with Tattle-tale Ted years ago. Guy brushed me off for 2 months before paying me. Scumbag of the Nth degree.)
The total fees involved. Pickup, a fee for creating a "file" in their system for the individual and I'd have to get the form to see what else was broken down. Moral of the story is you charged somebody $134 for a single gun that should never have brought in to begin with. He also charged me (the receiving dealer of the rifle) an additional transfer and the storage fees associated for that gun. So total cost was more in like line with 160-170$

Last edited:
He must have been up all night deleting and blocking. I got the block after 1 comment, but was up there for a little while.

Unfortunately for him, he cannot mute us here, or on our own social media accounts. I have explained in great detail to a few hundred friends in his area of his dealings. Tagged him in it as well.

I have recommended probably 20 new shooters to his shop in the last 5 years.

Hopefully, he will feel the power of word of mouth and is unable to fully control his PR nightmare that he has created.

He must have been up all night deleting and blocking. I got the block after 1 comment, but was up there for a little while.

Unfortunately for him, he cannot mute us here, or on our own social media accounts. I have explained in great detail to a few hundred friends in his area of his dealings. Tagged him in it as well.

I have recommended probably 20 new shooters to his shop in the last 5 years.

Hopefully, he will feel the power of word of mouth and is unable to fully control his PR nightmare that he has created.
I was just at nicks sport shop in Palmer doing a transfer with a NES member (which he can confirm if he so desires) and didn’t even bring it up and the new owner started talking about it. Saying he was tagged with it. 😂 made for interesting morning conversation.

So, for-less-than-the-price-of-a-cup-of-coffee-a-day, Tombstone Trading will safely store my illegally-seized firearms...? What a bargain! [rofl]

So, for-less-than-the-price-of-a-cup-of-coffee-a-day, David Peabody will safely store my illegally-seized firearms...? What a bargain! [rofl]
David Peabody was who the owner was responding to on Facebook, but you nailed it on the head otherwise.
The owner seems to think this is solely about me not getting called by the PD first. Am I upset about that? Yes. But it goes way beyond that issue to form something far worse.

So, for-less-than-the-price-of-a-cup-of-coffee-a-day, Tombstone Trading will safely store my illegally-seized firearms...? What a bargain! [rofl]
tumblr_olnh3gZmPk1uijsn1o1_400.gifv

That kind of makes this even more disgusting if you think about it... probably easy 80% of the 209As filed in this state are fraudulent to begin with.... basically Tombstone is presuming that all of these people are violent criminals and are automatically guilty. They act like most PD guns come from killers or something. Even in big dump cities the 209A confiscations probably outnumber other "crime" recoveries dramatically.
They figure that most people who read their response are ignorant of how 209As and "suitability" confiscations work (and most are ignorant) and thus makes them look good to those reading the response.
Would be cool if people remembered this at the next gunshow, but they won't and still buy shit from Tombstone.

The fact that they are a bonded warehouse should be spread far and wide and not to patronize them.
FACT! Many I know in SE MA still go to Northeast Trading, in spite of knowing what he did (Ted aka "The Rat") and the kind of scumbag he is.
As much as I hate what they did, I would never use the .gov as a weapon.
I understand. When Law Enforcement Supply charged me sales tax on a safe ($160) and refused to refund it when I handed him a copy of the DOR TIR, I queried MA DOR about it (with no names) and was told to call their tax fraud dept. I never did as I figured that killing off FFLs wasn't really to our benefit even if they deserve it. But if someone runs with that receipt to DOR, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I read on some gun forums where people would still buy ammo from Dick's after what they did to gun owners and they knew it so yes there will still be those who don't care.
Yes, see my comment about Ted the Rat above.

We have purchased several guns there. My wife and I were driving by there yesterday and she said "Hey, let's stop and buy some more guns." I am glad that we didn't after reading this thread. It never ceases to amaze me how much time and money some companies spend on advertisement trying to lure customers to their store and then treat their customers like crap.

I will drive a little farther from now on to find a company or individual with morals. Thanks OP for posting and for doing the right thing.

We have purchased several guns there. My wife and I were driving by there yesterday and she said "Hey, let's stop and buy some more guns." I am glad that we didn't after reading this thread. It never ceases to amaze me how much time and money some companies spend on advertisement trying to lure customers to their store and then treat their customers like crap.

I will drive a little farther from now on to find a company or individual with morals. Thanks OP for posting and for doing the right thing.
If you're in central MA and looking at older firearms I can still firmly recommend Bron's Classic Firearms.

Also funny that the $18.75 was labeled "TAX VALUE"
and nothing entered under the "ACTUAL TAX" line....

View attachment 538255
Looks to me that they are completely aware that they can’t collect sales tax on a transfer, and that if the did they would have to remit it to the state. That’s why they don’t put anything in the “TAX” field. They seem to be purposefully trying to confuse the customer by calling their additional transfer fee “tax value” instead of “additional 6.25% transfer fee”. I have seen FFLs that really aren’t interested in doing transfers and who state they charge an additional fee based on the value of the firearm (either list for a new one or “blue book” for a used one) but they are at least upfront about it.

This just strikes me as a deceptive trading practice.

Back
Top Bottom