antenna help!!

I need some help for picking out an antenna for a yaesu FT-60r. I've heard of a few good names out there but I really don't want to attach anything to the vehicles. I would much rather keep it a portable. I just don't know which one to chose that is good for multi band. right now im just running the rubber ducky that came with it and its ok but I want something a little better and im not struggling to hear.

I have an old Hustler dual band mag-mount and it works great. I don't think there's much rocket science or secret sauce in them so check the reviews on eHam and just spend enough that you don't feel you went cheap.

I'll say that the Yaesu duck is suprisingly good. I compared it to a 15.5" Nagoya and I couldn't tell them apart. The Nagoya outperformed the UV-5R's antenna.

When operating with a duck, the most important thing you can do is add a 19.5" rat tail.

ok I will look into it, I have been looking at diamond, and pryme. would a 15" help me out or no cause I have a boston repeater in my radio and can barely pick it up just static. I also have a local repeater here in Attleboro and Wrentham programmed in and they are fairly quiet. I just wasn't sure if I messed up putting them in but I didn't.

The larger antennas will help. But not like night and day. If you're using the ht in the car or at home you should do yourself a favor and get radios that you can setup properly. If you need the portability of the ht then try some of the better antennas.

Back
Top Bottom