• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Antenna question...

I have a quick question.

I have a telescoping BNC antenna on my base. I moved the base slightly (less than 2 feet) and extended the antenna fully (about 2 meters up). I get signals on my Kenwood (running through a PL-259 to BNC RA adapter), however they are all garbled on 2m. Any ideas?

I moved it back and shortened the antenna but I still get the same results. I don't yet have a straight PL-259 antenna. It was working a few days ago, so perhaps it's just our damn weather!

I'm guessing you have a bad connection or bad connector somewhere. If you have a multi mode radio it also could be a case of listening in the wrong mode. ie)you could be listening to sideband while set on Am

Gary, could you describe your set-up more?
You probably know this, but reception on a telescoping antenna will vary greatly with length, if the length is close to 1/4 wavelength. Get the length just right (1/4 or 5/8 wavelength) so it resonates at the Rx frequency and reception gets much better. Also, at the short wavelengths, just moving the antenna a foot can change what it hears.

Make sure all the segments are extended on your antenna. I find that I can miss a segment every now ant then. Is there a ground plane on your antenna at all? Is there anything in proximity to your antenna like a curtain rod or something? If not what Realtor said and more info would also be helpful.

AE1Y

If what you hear is garbled (scrambled/unintelligible, not just scratchy or weak) then the antenna is not the problem. It is likely that you are not set to the correct mode (SSB, AM, FM, digital, etc.) as the transmissions, or you are off frequency. What model radio are you using?

Back
Top Bottom