Any advice to a soon to be officer?

Many years back, Boston would take delivery on a new ladder truck about 350K (very, very old price) and send it to the FD maintenance shop. They would remove the front bumper and weld in a 3/8" steel bumper with multiple reinforcement points of very strong steel and 45 degree angled corners.

When they were in a narrow street and came across a double parked car while in response, they would push it to the next intersection, dump it there, back up and continue. I loved it.

I also loved taking out 2 car windows and running the large line through the car while leaving the couplings a bit loose. Always had a cop ticket the car for parking on a hydrant, that way the insurance company was not liable for payment due to illegal parking. Always more fun below freezing!

re short jacking... Under orders, I put an outrigger down through a VW bug and squashed it like the bug it was.

Never heard of a warning for OUI, however, I do not personally know politicians or powerful people.
Our town used to do this routinely (if no accident) back in the 1970s and 1980s . . . until the town got sued for NOT arresting their Son, who stopped to talk with a cop (not a MV stop) and was sober at the time, after he left he was found dead and drunk . . . struck a tree on a curve. After that orders were to arrest anyone OUI.

Our town used to do this routinely (if no accident) back in the 1970s and 1980s . . . until the town got sued for NOT arresting their Son, who stopped to talk with a cop (not a MV stop) and was sober at the time, after he left he was found dead and drunk . . . struck a tree on a curve. After that orders were to arrest anyone OUI.
I think this may have been common in many places years ago. I remember my dad telling me this was pretty common back in the 60s-70s. We lived in Michigan back then.

Never heard of a warning for OUI, however, I do not personally know politicians or powerful people.

Just saw a thread about that very thing. NJ State Trooper, I think. Not to say it's okay at all or in any way appropriate, don't get me wrong. OUI is not something I'd agree with warning. My point in saying "everything is warnable" is that every situation is not a nail that needs to be hammered. And, if you don't write it it didn't happen, so if you don't write it - it didn't happen. That works a few different ways when you use your head and exercise discretion.

re short jacking... Under orders, I put an outrigger down through a VW bug and squashed it like the bug it was.
Two good tidbits from the specific article highlighting that photo:
  1. Prowl car wasn't squished maliciously. Someone paced around the apparatus and verified that nothing was in the way. Then the cop parked next to the jack, invisibly to the guy at the control panel. So it was actually an accident. (And they were bracing the ladder truck because believe it or not, there were actual people hanging out of windows at the fire, screaming "help! help!").
  2. Reader comment wins the day:
    This has happened many times in NYC, though never to a cop car that I know of (or anyone can prove!). The aerial drivers know exactly what happens to a car they lay a jack onto- the body work crushes, the frame bends, the suspension buckles, and the tires will often blow. By the time the jack is fully extended, the undercarriage of the car is QUITE firmly on the ground.

The car isn’t going anywhere- it’s a $30,000 jackpad. The brothers in the bucket and the victims they’re rescuing are safe as kittens.
"Safe as kittens", LOL.

Red lights will kill you.
Yellow lights will kill you.
Green lights will kill you fast and announced!

NEVER RUN A BLIND CORNER!

0230, watched a semi gasoline tanker run a red at 30MPH while I was red lights, siren and at speed. I stopped at a green light and saw him blow the red right in front of me. I shivered for a week.

As crazy as it sounds im signed up for the reserve academy in two weeks in Bolyston, ya I know........

Oh and I am a call Vol Fireman now, lol.
The best part of the reserve/intermittent academy was constitutional law. There was a Captain from Fitchburg PD who taught it. Funny guy and an excellent teacher.

The best part of the reserve/intermittent academy was constitutional law. There was a Captain from Fitchburg PD who taught it. Funny guy and an excellent teacher.
I found some the things said by the grizzly sargent that did the physical stuff (restraint, handcuffs, baton, etc.) funny, "you're not trying to do permanent damage....bones heal" He also seemed way too fond of the term "pain compliance".
But ya, the law, both constitutional and criminal, stuff was interesting.

That was very common until the "Erwin Case" also known as the "Ware Decision" That really flipped the script on letting things pass.

You know after giving this a few days of thought, I have come to this, I don't know which was the worse "criminals" Those on the street or those that were the liars, back stabbers and thieves whose command we had to work under. This is in reference to The Mass Environmental Police. You folks can fill in the names.

Received letters for State and my municipality.
Since we are a tight community here, I was wondering if you guys had any advice to pass on.

@LukeIronSight

Did you end up becoming an LEO? How is that working for you? Is it what you expected or different?

Please share your thoughts on this career path?

Thank you,

Rich

@richc he has not been logged in in so long the software doesn't show when the last time he logged in was, I would not be waiting for a response

A little update on my venture, due to the possibility of new laws and regulations my start date has been pushed back till further notice.......ugh.

One very important thing to remember,make sure no one is videotaping when your kicking someones ass

One very important thing to remember,make sure no one is video topping when your kicking someones ass

Why? If I'm kicking someone's ass its because I am on absolute solid ground morally, ethically, constitutionally, and respective of case law. I could care less if anyone video tapes me. Just make sure you get the entire incident, not just my highlights.

Why? If I'm kicking someone's ass its because I am on absolute solid ground morally, ethically, constitutionally, and respective of case law. I could care less if anyone video tapes me. Just make sure you get the entire incident, not just my highlights.
If it was me,
I'd also forbid them from using Yakety Sax as the soundtrack.

Back
Top Bottom