Any case law?

Is anyone aware of any case law with respect to making photo copies of your DL when picking up your NH Resident P&R License?

Can't recall if this has been run through a court case. RSA says no photograph is required for a P&L. Some departments try to insist they need a copy of your DL, but they have no basis in the law to require a copy. You can refuse the request to copy, then if they won't give you the P&R you can sue. They may be within legal territory to see your DL to verify it's you before handing over the P&R.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no issue with using your DL at time of pickup, to verify that you are who you say you are. It's just the wanting to make a copy of it. Didn't know if this was decided in the courts or not.

Unless you explicitly told the NH DMV you didn't want your photo saved, your DL picture will be in the system, which the cops have access into. So almost a moot point. Also if you are in a position where you are being asked for your P&R in a CC state, I'd expect the cops will be asking for some ID as well. Easiest example would be driving a ATV/snowmobile while carrying, if pulled over they'll want to see DL to verify you can drive the thing and see your P&R for carrying.

Unless you explicitly told the NH DMV you didn't want your photo saved, your DL picture will be in the system, which the cops have access into. So almost a moot point. Also if you are in a position where you are being asked for your P&R in a CC state, I'd expect the cops will be asking for some ID as well. Easiest example would be driving a ATV/snowmobile while carrying, if pulled over they'll want to see DL to verify you can drive the thing and see your P&R for carrying.

This deals with a whole different thing, so not related to what I was asking about.

Unless you explicitly told the NH DMV you didn't want your photo saved, your DL picture will be in the system, which the cops have access into.

You can actually demand this in NH? (EG, so the photo only ends up on the DL itself?) I'n going to hazard a guess that's not with the REALID compliant DL, though.

-Mike

You can actually demand this in NH? (EG, so the photo only ends up on the DL itself?) I'n going to hazard a guess that's not with the REALID compliant DL, though.

-Mike
Right, since we just went thru it with NH Real ID DLs. If you want Real ID DLs,, it must have your picture and your SSN is stored in the system.

Back
Top Bottom