Any Colt M4 (LE6940) experts here, how to validate an early serial number?

Where there once was a man in the mountain
I'm trying to do some research, and I'm not having much luck.

I have a very lightly used Colt M4 Monolithic (LE6940). When I purchased it in the March of 2009, the dealer made a big deal that it was from one of the first crates of these guns shipped out of Colt, so I should be very careful to take care of it, and to keep all the boxes, etc. I did save all of the original box and packing, and I recently noticed that even the inner plastic bag has the serial number of the gun on it!

I never did use the gun very much, perhaps a few hundred rounds. I've had someone tell me it's in 98% or better condition. At this point I'm thinking of trying some clays, so I'm trying to do some research into what I could sell it for and convert some $$ from this into a nice Browning Citori 725.

The thing is, no matter how I try, when I try to enter the guns serial number into the Colt website it always comes up 'not found'! The serial number is basically LE048xxx. I can only get any results if I enter 48xxx (without the LE0) into the Colt website, but then I see some very old guns.

Does anyone know why the serial number isn't found on the Colt website?

This review does state that it was first released in 2009:
Colt LE6940 Carbine

So the above review loosely validates that I did get an early version of the gun, but it's hard to know how 'early' mine is considering I picked it up in March. It does have the "Restricted for Military/Government Law Enforcement Use Only" roll stamp, which I understand that they later removed.

Without sending Colt money for an official "Colt Statement of Origin" via their "Archive Services" does anyone know a way to find out where my serial number stands so I can validate if I indeed do have 'one of the first ones'?

I know that the chances of finding a collector that wants this particular gun is probably rare anyway, but it might get me a bit more $$$ in a sale if I could validate it, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Or if it is from 'the first crate', perhaps it does have a lot more value than others (how many does Colt put in a crate anyway)?

Thanks for sharing any insight you may have!

Rich

Pick up the phone and call Colt. That's what I did after buying a pre-ban Colt AR a few years ago. They were able to tell me the year it was made, I don't recall if I asked for the month or not.

I find that most serial numbers aren't in that online website. I can't remember the last time I actually found one that was!

It sure does give you pause when you have one of their guns and it's serial number isn't found.

Perhaps they should have a note that only certain types, or generations of guns are actually available via that web interface. :)

I sure wish he could have told me when the first guns were produced. The review I posted said 'Spring of 2009'. So considering that mine was manufactured in March of 2009 (and I purchased it in March), it certainly is one of the first ones, but I can't confirm if it's from a first 'batch' or not. I guess it's close enough if no one else can confirm this too. ;)

I called Colt about a serial number since it didnt pop up on the online search, they said the online lookup caters more towards the old revolvers, very few rilfes are in that database i was told.

I don't think it's worth much more right now. Your grand kids might reap the benefits of the low production number.

My Sporter II didn’t show up on their site. Did they just give you the basic info or did they charge you some nominal fee since it wasn’t a full report/certification.

Back
Top Bottom