• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any concrete slab guys here ?

I’m looking to have a slab poured in my garage. Outside foundation measurements are 22x26. Also I want an apron infront of the garage door approximately 18-20”?? To run the whole width of the garage (22’) thanks for any reply’s 👍🇺🇸

Curious, what is the purpose of a concrete apron as opposed to just asphalt driveway?

It's a nice look but it also pulls the movable pavement away from the slab. I had the no-apron for the first 20 years on my garage. The pavement sank like crazy. When I had some structural work done on the whole shebang, we added the apron in the front. The transition is much better.

My understanding is that it provides a more stable surface on an area that is going to see higher-than-normal rain action. Even if your garage roof doesn't spill down onto the driveway, a driving rain from the driveway side is going to push a TON of rain into that section of the driveway. It leaks in, erodes the soil over time and causes the asphalt to dip.

It isn't normally done around here. though. I probably have the only one on my street.

Any laid off slab guys here ? I have a floor ready to go. All the prep is done. Just need an expierenced guy or two float it in there.

Any laid off slab guys here ? I have a floor ready to go. All the prep is done. Just need an expierenced guy or two float it in there.
Roof where you located?
I'm in North Western Ma. I work for a General Contractor (we build everything) and have poured dozens of slabs.
My neighbor across the street works for Valley Concrete out of Northfield, Ma. but does a lot of side work.
Weather has been too good and there is no sign of the plants shutting down for the season, and Valley is out straight with work.

Roof where you located?
I'm in North Western Ma. I work for a General Contractor (we build everything) and have poured dozens of slabs.
My neighbor across the street works for Valley Concrete out of Northfield, Ma. but does a lot of side work.
Weather has been too good and there is no sign of the plants shutting down for the season, and Valley is out straight with work.
Ya. My buddys son does flat work and is still very busy.

I don’t believe it 🤣

OP, you’ll have better luck on a month or two…you’ll pay extra for the additive to the mix, but probably do better finding help.
Not sure if you mean winter additive, but did get me thinking... I had a the fiberglass additive to my garage floor... 15 or so years ago. Absolutely solid, no cracks. 1 relief cut down the center.

Not sure if you mean winter additive, but did get me thinking... I had a the fiberglass additive to my garage floor... 15 or so years ago. Absolutely solid, no cracks. 1 relief cut down the center.

Yes, I was referring to antifreeze for the concrete…it’s usually about 10% more.

But fiberglass would be a great option too for a garage…especially if you’re planning on doing any mechanic work or installing a lift in there at some point.

Back
Top Bottom