Any egg-sperts here?

doobie

Banned
I have some egg questions... Since I moved and there is a nice, friendly farm down the road from me I've been buying eggs there. Compared to store bought they really taste much better. However I have some issues, related to cooking them.

1) The membrane under the shell is obviously thicker as they are fresher than you get in a store. This usually causes me problems when cracking the egg. I have tended to do one of two things when I crack them: A) smash the yolk, B) crush the shell so much that I get little pieces in the whites/yolks. Also when I do hard boiled, I have a hard time getting the shell off without taking the whites with. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to solve these problems cracking the eggs?

2) When cooking a sunny side up/over XYZ egg, I find that even on non-stick pans and even with a little bit of butter/oil they stick like crazy making it hard to not over cook because I can't remove it without ripping it apart.

Any suggestions? Also... anyone raise their own chickens is it worth it? Unless I bake... I think I usually only use 2-4 eggs a day.

Let them age a couple of weeks and they'll peel easier when hard boiled.

Crack them on a sharper edge for frying.

Heat is too high if they're sticking while frying. Use a lower heat setting and maybe a smoother surface (non stick) pan.

Heat is too high if they're sticking while frying. Use a lower heat setting and maybe a smoother surface (non stick) pan.

Age a few weeks = almost the same as store bought.

Been using the end of my pan.... maybe it isn't sharp enough. Will try a knife tomorrow

Mmm, could be the heat. I didn't think I changed it. I usually set it to medium.

Crack the eggs on a flat surface rather than the edge of a counter or pan, you'll be much less likely to break the yoke.

Crack the eggs on a flat surface rather than the edge of a counter or pan, you'll be much less likely to break the yoke.

Problem is that doesn't crack the little membrane inside the shell...

2) When cooking a sunny side up/over XYZ egg, I find that even on non-stick pans and even with a little bit of butter/oil they stick like crazy making it hard to not over cook because I can't remove it without ripping it apart.

Move your oven rack up to the top and turn on the broiler. Take a small frying pan or cast-iron casserole that is oven-safe (i.e., has a steel handle and no non-stick surface). Add a couple tablespoons of butter and, optionally, a 1/4 cup of cream. Put under the broiler for a minute or two until the butter is melted and you start to get some color in it.

Carefully remove the frying pan from the broiler. Crack the eggs into the butter/cream mixture. Add a tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme, kosher salt and pepper to taste. Top with freshly ground Parmesan to taste. Put back under the broiler for a couple minutes.

Do not try to turn the eggs. Cook sunny side up. Remove when done to your taste. Serve with toast.

I seem to remember an old adage. Hot pan, cold oil, Food won't stick.

Heat up the pan DRY. Add EVOO just before you drop in the eggs.

Course, nothing beats a well seasoned Cast Iron Pan.

Age a few weeks = almost the same as store bought.

Been using the end of my pan.... maybe it isn't sharp enough. Will try a knife tomorrow

Mmm, could be the heat. I didn't think I changed it. I usually set it to medium.

You asked, I answered.

I used to cook breakfast for a couple of hundred people, five days a week.

Don't use a knife, just use a little finness when cracking the shell.

I seem to remember an old adage. Hot pan, cold oil, Food won't stick.

Heat up the pan DRY. Add EVOO just before you drop in the eggs.

Course, nothing beats a well seasoned Cast Iron Pan.

The adage is true for everything but eggs. High heat with eggs makes them crusty. Eggs should be cooked on low heat until the whites cook and are not runny, the yolk is cooked to preferrence. Eggs stick because the cooking surface is too coarse, not greased well enough and or its too hot.

+1 If you really want the eggs to be easier to peel you really need them to age a week or two.
Actually those eggs in the grocery store have been there longer than you think.[thinking]

Worked as a cook for a bank cafeteria years ago,when I cooked eggs the grill was set at 200-225 degrees F, and as i recall eggs always came out fine no sticking to the grill whites were fluffy no browning or crustiness.

+1 If you really want the eggs to be easier to peel you really need them to age a week or two.
Actually those eggs in the grocery store have been there longer than you think.[thinking]

Which is why I have been buying at the local farm.... taste much better and weren't laid 1+ month ago.

I guess I'll have to live with the hard to peel eggs to maintain their freshness.

cartooneggpicture.gif

We raise our own Chickens

Hey Guy's, We raise our own chickens and the egs are awesome... We have 13 Rhode Island Reds..all Hens and we expect to get about 6 to 10 eggs per day....They Should start laying in a week or 2...I will be up to my ears with Eggs but your right much better tasting than store bought...after we get them into full production we will just sell them out front...

Back
Top Bottom