• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any experience with electronic dog collars

I use an ecollar when I hunt my dog. When she gets out too far I give her the tone/vibrate. It stops me from yelling commands. Some dogs range a bit and yelling for them is not ideal, id rather just be quiet and use the collar.

If the tone doesn’t work then she gets the lowest stimulation setting and usually that does the trick. My collar has never gone above the 2 setting, that’s usually when the dog starts to hunt for herself and needs a quick tap reminder to stay closer.

I find some breeds are just laser focused on hunting and once and a while need to be brought back to earth

Those that say ecollars are not needed have likely not worked with high strung big running thoroughbred type dogs whose whole focus is to get game.
I was fortunate that my dog responded amazingly to a whistle. My buddy had a beagle that needed the e-collar for 3 years before settling down enough

I used one on my deaf English Bulldog rescue. I only used it in the vibration mode, while giving hand signals simultaneously. Now she just responds to the hand signals, minus the collar.

Its a tough thing to accomplish
I was lucky to come across such an amazing dog! Could absolutely read my mind and always on the same page as me. Lost him way too early, but he was a big boy, 120 pounds, healthy weight. People always joked asking if he was part bear.

I was lucky to come across such an amazing dog! Could absolutely read my mind and always on the same page as me. Lost him way too early, but he was a big boy, 120 pounds, healthy weight. People always joked asking if he was part bear.
Yeah I get that with my 130 lb German shepherd. Way bigger than most . Damn fine dog

Any suggestions on what to ask?
Ask how it will be used. From what distances. What level of zap will be used. If it will be used while close to dog. How long it will be used for. And if there will be rewards given. Any other questions please feel free to pm me. I can share all my experiences with these collars. And I dont mind doing it at all

Of the 4 Dobe’s I’ve owed the latest we rescued 4 years ago she’s 8 now. They hear that collar and get fired up because they know they are going for a run or hike. The collar is all positive to them.

I've got a bark collar for my little guy that will bark incessantly. Only put that on when people are over.

Got a remote beep/buzz/shock for my other idiot that would run off and roll in shit💩🤮.He loves shit.🤣 He just needs to hear the beep and he wont leave the porch.

I call it their "good boy' collars.

Exactly right. Use the minimum stimulation that gives the desired response. Once dogs get collar conditioned and understand them, they usually respond to less stimulation. The collars are NOT about pain. When used correctly, they are tremendous tools.

I have a mean dog that nobody else can handle. We got a professional trainer who took him for 2 weeks and brought him back with a shock collar. It's the minimum amount of force it takes to correct a behavior. If you scruff this guy with a prong collar it does nothing. The shock doesn't hurt, it's like a TENS machine. It just makes your muscles twitch, even turned all the way up. It's always turned down all the way, and almost never have to use the shock. It's not necessary for most dogs, but this is the only way I could keep this guy.

DSCN0152.JPG

I have an e-collar for my walker hound mix. The intensity level goes up to 127. To determine the appropriate setting for her we started at 2 and worked up 2 at at time. With her playing in the yard, you look for signals like her ears sensing or blinking eye. Lucy’s level is 22. It isn’t a pain level shock either (I can’t feel it on my calloused hands under 45). I give her a command and press the button at the same time. When she commits to respond, I let go of the button. It basically lets her know that I am giving her a command. She loves it. She doesn’t wear it all the time but knows when she sees it that she’s going for a run at the bog or up to camp. We actually have to hide it from her when we’re recharging the batteries because she gets so excited when she sees it

Attachments

• 61067425-2A34-4A42-910F-CA13F8C07640.jpeg
    61067425-2A34-4A42-910F-CA13F8C07640.jpeg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 3
I used an e collar to train my dog not to cross the road and visit my neighbors dog. Started with the beep. Worked for a month. Then the vibrate. Worked for a month. I used the shock one time, now two years later the dog still doesn't go near the road.
Do not use the shock to train your dog not to dig, chew or bark. These are hard wired instincts and doing so will produce mental health issues. Your little Theon will soon become your little Reek before you know it

Anybody who trains a dog with pain doesn't know how to train a dog.
[rofl]

It's not about pain, when a dog is actively chasing game sometimes a vibration is needed to get them to look back for visual commands. Literally one of the best training facilities in the country uses them.

[rofl]

It's not about pain, when a dog is actively chasing game sometimes a vibration is needed to get them to look back for visual commands. Literally one of the best training facilities in the country uses them.

Well if its ok for dogs why not use it on problematic kids? Because you'd get arrested for abuse. Your dog doesn't like it anymore than your kid would.

Well if its ok for dogs why not use it on problematic kids? Because you'd get arrested for abuse. Your dog doesn't like it anymore than your kid would.
I also don't put my children on leashes and walk them around the neighborhood so they can shit. Great analogy.

Here are some that are just as good as yours.
Should we ban horseback riding? The horses I've put bridles on didn't really like it either. I'm sure you're a vegan too, you know raising cattle to be slaughtered for meat is abuse as well.

I also don't put my children on leashes and walk them around the neighborhood so they can shit. Great analogy.

Here are some that are just as good as yours.
Should we ban horseback riding? The horses I've put bridles on didn't really like it either. I'm sure you're a vegan too, you know raising cattle to be slaughtered for meat is abuse as well.
Thecpoint is that if you have to be cruel to a dog then you shouldn't have one.

Back
Top Bottom