Any good feedback on these? TYT WALKIES/RADIOS

Finally got what Iike to think is a decent set of radios/walkies from a friend for really cheap.
I live in northern Worcester County.
My friend said that the best way to set these up is with the cable that plugs into it, then into a PC or laptop via USB using the "Chirp" app??
Any other suggestions, since I have no computer.

Screenshot_20220804-100618_Gallery.jpg

Finally got what Iike to think is a decent set of radios/walkies from a friend for really cheap.
My friend said that the best way to set these up is with the cable that plugs into it, then into a PC or laptop via USB using the "Chirp" app??

View attachment 646055
Buy the software and cable and plug it into a friend's computer.

View attachment 646055
Looks like a Baofeng UV-5R knock off. Very popular inexpensive Chinese radio.
This should help: How Program a Baofeng UV-5R with CHIRP Software

CHIRP is easy to use and has a repeater directory built in from Radio Reference.
You can also program it manually without CHIRP and computer but it’s a pain.

This is another excellent reference: Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor

Mac

Save yourself a bunch of grief...don't go skin flint on the programming cable...make sure it has a bonafide FTDI chip in it. B-Tech cables have this chip. Many less expensive programming cables do not and drivers to run the non-FTDI cables are "iffy".

How much are you trying to setup on them? If you just want to program the local repeater it's probably just as fast to do it manually.

Full disclosure: No matter how easy a radio makes it to program a repeater, I get it wrong 5 times before I get it right.

Back
Top Bottom