• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any good primer tricks?

Jim Poulette

NES Member
Last week I made my first 5 live 9mm rounds, and last night I made my first 50. Things went very well with the LNL AP.

The worst part of the night was "manipulating" the primers........ :rolleyes:

My apologies if this has been covered before - but is they any secret method of (efficiently) getting the primers out of the box, lay them all out face up, and then put them into the LNL tubes?

Not a show stopper.......but also not my favorite part of the whole affair.

Flip tray would be perfect if the original packaging were different.

When you dump them out of the original box (say, Federal for example - primers stacked on their sides instead of back or front) into a tray. They seem to land randomly no matter how careful you are.

I'll post a picture when I open the next box.

You can either Flip them, or use the pickup tube to get all the ones that are face down and then used the lid to invert all primers and grab the rest.

Federal is a pain because you need a large sized flip tray to fit the box - some of the older ones are too small.

And then there is the issue of getting RUAG primers in non-retail packaging out of the tray they come in.

Flip tray would be perfect if the original packaging were different.

When you dump them out of the original box (say, Federal for example - primers stacked on their sides instead of back or front) into a tray. They seem to land randomly no matter how careful you are.

I'll post a picture when I open the next box.
This is the exact reason for a flip tray,

My bad if someone already mentioned this:

Don't dump primers into the tray. Slip them out of the sleeve and hold the primers in their packaging tray right side up. Put the flip tray upside down over the tray of primers. Hold them together then flip over and lift off the packaging tray. No spills and all or nearly all primers will be correct side up. Any upside-down can now be flipped with the flip tray.

My bad if someone already mentioned this:

Don't dump primers into the tray. Slip them out of the sleeve and hold the primers in their packaging tray right side up. Put the flip tray upside down over the tray of primers. Hold them together then flip over and lift off the packaging tray. No spills and all or nearly all primers will be correct side up. Any upside-down can now be flipped with the flip tray.
Does not work with Federal that are in the tray edgewise.

The Russians know what they're doing when it comes to primers. I just went thru about 1200 Wolf LRP. When you pulled the little sleeve out of the box, ALL, every single one of the primers was anvil side up. Just put the primer tray over em, and turned it over. No need to shakem back and forth........

The Russians know what they're doing when it comes to primers. I just went thru about 1200 Wolf LRP. When you pulled the little sleeve out of the box, ALL, every single one of the primers was anvil side up. Just put the primer tray over em, and turned it over. No need to shakem back and forth........
Like most/all of the Russian brands, those come from the Murom Apparatus Producing Plant - Joint-Stock Company «Murom apparatus producting plant» | АО Муромский приборостроительный завод

Wolf is the only brand I have seen where each 100 primer tray is individually taped shut.

Back
Top Bottom