Any LEO deals at local ranges?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Wondering if there are any ranges in the northeast part of the state that offer reduced rates or deals for LEO's?

Thanks

Wondering if there are any ranges in the northeast part of the state that offer reduced rates or deals for LEO's?

Thanks

Private gun clubs? Not that I know of and why should they? They are not-for-profits and members pay to keep the places up. If LEOs were given special discounts, other members would have to pay more for upkeep.

Commercial ranges? Yes, IIRC AFS and MFL offer special discounts to LEOs.

Having been a PO and a club BOD member for a lot of years, I can tell you that the PDs that mooched off of the club didn't do the club any favors. The implication to get special privileges is always that "one hand will wash the other" but I've never seen it happen, in fact it was always the opposite where LE use of the range violated range rules and left damage to the property (and this was the organized LE training too).

Don't take it personally, and understand I'm not painting with the broad brush here, just offering an observation - but PD's don't exactly have a good reputation for leaving ranges in the same shape they found them in - even on some ranges I've seen that are used only by L/E.

There's a joke in here somewhere about tossing a cigarette butt.......but I prefer not to get my first warning on this here wonderful message board.

To get back on topic: Don't most PD's have agreements with local ranges for private PD time? I know our local range and PD do.

There's a joke in here somewhere about tossing a cigarette butt.......but I prefer not to get my first warning on this here wonderful message board.

To get back on topic: Don't most PD's have agreements with local ranges for private PD time? I know our local range and PD do.

Not any more!

My first club had about 5-6 PDs using the range and members were forbidden to be on the ranges when the PD was there. As a PO that qualified on that range, we did some rather unsafe shooting on said range (houses behind the berm and even just to the right side and above the berm). Last time I was there (invite by PD instructor, I'm no longer a member there) they were also shooting in a manner that could lead to ricochets hitting houses. I know that the local PD and a college PD uses the facility but I think most of the others were disinvited.

When I joined Braintree R&P in 1999 there were at least 6 LE orgs using the ranges. When some PD requested use of the facility and was unanimously turned down by the BOD, I asked our ex-officio who was a Federal agent and he bluntly told me that we don't want LE there as they damage the ranges, don't clean up and don't follow basic safety rules.

When I joined Mansfield F&G the Mansfield PD used the range, but shortly afterwards built their own range at the town dump. Some officers said that they were very happy to see them leave. I have no knowledge of what issues might or might not have existed there.

There have been some gun clubs that had ranges shut down after LE use resulted in houses being hit by gunfire.

Back
Top Bottom