• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any M-1 Carbine Folks Out There?

Have added 4 more since this picture was taken a couple yrs ago ... Go to love this sweet shooting little pieces!

carbine002.jpg

Very impressive line-up! Can you share some details on what differences they have (manufacturer, features, etc)?

Thanks for sharing.

I'm a big fan of the m1 carbine. I've got two from the CMP (Inland and National Postal Meter), and one .22 caliber that I made from a Ruger and M1 carbine stock.

IMG_4217.JPG

Have added 4 more since this picture was taken a couple yrs ago ... Go to love this sweet shooting little pieces!

carbine002.jpg

The accumulation includes: 3 Underwood, 3 Winchester, 2 Inland, 2 IBM, 2 NPM, 2 Rock-ola, 2 Quality hardware, 1 SG, 1 S'G', and 1 Stnd Products. I know, missing 4 from the picture. They are all "mix-masters" with mostly late features - going to get around to swapping some parts between them and see exactly what I do have!!

I really enjoy shooting these ... Best of all, they are a pleasure to take to the range and let kids and women shoot them. I have this passion of introducting women and kids to the shooting sports. These, along with some .22LRs, fit the bill nicely!

I've got carbines from Underwood, Saginaw S'G', Saginaw SG, IBM, Rock-Ola, and Quality Hardware, plus two Plainfield commercial stripped receivers. I like carbines.

What's the difference between Saginaw S'G' versus Saginaw SG?

SG (General Motors) had a contract to produce Carbines at their Saginaw MI Plant. Inwin Pedersen Arms also had a contract and produced 3,542 Carbines; however, none passed government inspection and were not accepted. General Motors took over the production and contract from Inwin Pedersen Arms, along with all their manufacturing capabilities located in Grand Rapids MI. In order to distinguish the General Motors Saginaw produced carbines from the Grand Rapids produced carbines, the Grand Rapids produced carbines were stamped S'G'.

SG (General Motors) had a contract to produce Carbines at their Saginaw MI Plant. Inwin Pedersen Arms also had a contract and produced 3,542 Carbines; however, none passed government inspection and were not accepted. General Motors took over the production and contract from Inwin Pedersen Arms, along with all their manufacturing capabilities located in Grand Rapids MI. In order to distinguish the General Motors Saginaw produced carbines from the Grand Rapids produced carbines, the Grand Rapids produced carbines were stamped S'G'.

Ahh I see, these carbines have very interesting stories behind them. Thank you!

Dude, I'll never be able to keep up with you on K98k's. Dare I ask, codes and dates?

MS

There was only 1 K98k out of the 4, a Portuguese 1941 (my 3rd).
The others were an Oberndorf Brazilian long rifle and a Chilean carbine, both
1935 models in 7mm Mauser. No. 4 is a Swedish 96/38, originally a Carl Gustafs of 1914.
Pristine K98k's don't grow on trees here, so there are some large gaps in my collection.

My father brought one home from WW2. I barely remember seeing it when I was a kid--I think it had a folding stock (does that sound right?). It had a 3 way switch, so he threw the firing pin away (fed offense). He gave it to my brother (cop) about 20 years ago, who sent it to the FBI Academy to have it checked and a new firing pin put in. My brother got his machine gun license, and used it once at the range. The gun currently resides at the Mashpee Police Station. I would love to check that bad boy out now. What a piece of history (he brought it from Okinawa). *sigh*

Have a May 1943 Saginaw been imported from Israel and in great condition. Had it for years and recently just installed the Wolff spring kit and if it weren’t so hard to get ammunition for it I’d be shooting it more. Had a Rock Ola many years ago and regret selling it.

Back
Top Bottom