• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any MA law in gun cabinets?

DemonChronicles

NES Member
I am pretty sure there isn't, BUT had this loud mouth statist / anti running his crap spewer and just about everything that came out if his mouth was pure crap.

One issue was that of glass door gun cabinets. Loud mouth claimed they were illegal in MA.

Tried to explain to him that there is no requirement to store guns in a safe or cabinet in MA to no avail.

Was I correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the glass door cabinets are GTG as long as they lock. If they don't lock, and you have trigger locks, you are also GTG. Loudmouth was indeed spewing crap.

Check out this thread.

If you're truly worried about this, toss trigger locks on and you're compliant.

MGL Part I said:
Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

From my non-lawyerly reading of this...you could use a cardboard box...so long as it is locked! Again, I note, not a lawyer, just a mere layman!!

Got to reading Commonwealth v. Bolduc where this was declared the safe storage law as unconstitutional...not sure what that means to this...other than "if you get nabbed...and pay $xx for lawyer...you have precedent in your favor".

Not worried about it at all, I have one myself that I just acquired.

I was very sure that he didn't know what he was talking about.

But, as always, I like to run it by NES to discuss.

Sounds like your statist is even worse than the SJC. See Commonwealth v Reyes, 464 Mass. 245 (2013) http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/464/464mass245.html

Statutory and regulatory references to acceptable containers include safes, weapon boxes, locked cabinets, gun cases, lock boxes, and locked trunks of vehicles.A leading secondary source, Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law (20th ed.2012), published by the Municipal Police Institute, Inc., states that a securely locked container can include a soft gun case secured with a padlock, "as well as an expensive gun safe," and that even "glass front furniture style gun cabinets are acceptable providing that they are capable of being locked." Id. at 93.

That's a pretty good looking cabinet.

I like western rifles and handguns. I think a cabinet like that really lets you view those firearms in their historical perspective. Not my cabinet though...

Back
Top Bottom