• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any members of Plymouth Rod & Gun Club here?

rebut

NES Member
I am on the waiting list to become a member there. According to George my name could come up in February to finally get in. If it happens, I need a sponsor. I am a stable and responsible person who understands and respects range safety and am willing to meet you in person so you can decide if you are willing to take on the responsibility of sponsoring me. Your willingness to do so would be appreciated greatly.

Bob

I wanted to join there too, but the wait list...

What local alternative would you recommend? I need to keep it close to the West Plymouth area.

I wouldn't join if free.

It is a nice facility as far as I can tell. Why such a negative opinion? I have read about some attitude issues with management re late renewal fees but not much else.

What local alternative would you recommend? I need to keep it close to the West Plymouth area.

It is a nice facility as far as I can tell. Why such a negative opinion? I have read about some attitude issues with management re late renewal fees but not much else.

I've checked out a few online here and there, haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, so reading as well. I need to join one and shoot more lol

I’ve been a member for 6 years. I won’t be renewing this year. It’s one of those clubs that the people in charge need to quit the committees in order for changes to happen. There’s a lot of potential at Plymouth, but I’m done with the “good ole boys club”.

Drive another 20 minutes and join any of...
Old Colony Sportsmans Association,
Marshfield Rod and Gun,
Hanson Rod and Gun,
Monument Beach Sportsmans Club
Holbrook Sportsmans Club (I cant speak personally for this club but I hear good things).

Also, what kind of shooting do you like to do?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help folks. Honestly, I can deal with dopes by ignoring them BUT only 5 rounds in the mag...?... (from another link) that's probably a deal killer, not mention a couple of other things I read. Is that still a rule at Plymouth Rod & Gun?

5 rounds per mag? Eff that noise. I don’t know if that’s true, but it’s certainly not a resounding marketing ploy if it is.

Thanks for the help folks. Honestly, I can deal with dopes by ignoring them BUT only 5 rounds in the mag...?... (from another link) that's probably a deal killer, not mention a couple of other things I read. Is that still a rule at Plymouth Rod & Gun?
Yes the 5 round limit is still a rule. Just one reason why I don’t shoot down there anymore. The only benefit was the rifle range is always dead and you have it to yourself.

Sporting clays is the only other activity worth going to. They have a good setup going through the woods but you dont need to be a member to shoot it.

Last edited:
Yes the 5 round limit is still a rule. Just one reason why I don’t shoot down there anymore. The only benefit was the rifle range is always dead and you have it to yourself.

5 round max for pistols too?...HTF can...never mind. I'll drive the extra 20-25 minutes...too bad I'm only about 4 minutes from PR&G.

5 round max for pistols too?...HTF can...never mind.
Yup, you would think that we as gun owners and clubs should be constantly fighting the state laws as is and not making it worse at the clubs. The idea is because people were shooting at the berms and wood target stands so they decided to make more rules but you can reload and do the same thing.

The idea is because people were shooting at the berms and wood target stands so they decided to make more rules but you can reload and do the same thing.

Stupid people or just bad shots? Anyway, I was never a fan of being ruled over by the "we are smarter than you class"..."because we just know better"...I take responsablity for my actions...if I do something stupid that causes damage...I'll pay the price.

I’m curious how much of the 5-round limit came from residential neighbors complaining of potential groundwater lead contamination.

Who knows, I had always ignored that rule and nobody ever asked me about it. The place is usually deserted when I go, so it is rarely an issue but the place is fudd central.

Although all of the above postings are old, if there is still anyone interested in the PR&GC look on their web site and attend one of their monthly meetings. There is a new board of directors and hopefully there will be new ideas to pursue. We opened a brand-new lower clubhouse last fall so you may want to stop by at one of those meetings and check it out. They can also advise you on membership.
Joe

Im a member. I highly doubt a change in officers will do anything to make it a better club. Been going there for years, if it wasnt so close i dont think i would be a member, way to tight with the restrictions. That is why i joined 2 other clubs, they all offer something different but none are perfect.

I’ve been a member to 6 or 7 years now. I always thought it was a great club. Keep to myself, go to the range at 4pm on a sunny Saturday and you have the place to yourself. Absolutely remember some fudd types in the beginning that referred to my ak as a “cannon”. My only gripe is getting the new keys is always a PITA.

Although all of the above postings are old, if there is still anyone interested in the PR&GC look on their web site and attend one of their monthly meetings. There is a new board of directors and hopefully there will be new ideas to pursue. We opened a brand-new lower clubhouse last fall so you may want to stop by at one of those meetings and check it out. They can also advise you on membership.
Joe

Im a member. I highly doubt a change in officers will do anything to make it a better club. Been going there for years, if it wasnt so close i dont think i would be a member, way to tight with the restrictions. That is why i joined 2 other clubs, they all offer something different but none are perfect.

I’ve been a member to 6 or 7 years now. I always thought it was a great club. Keep to myself, go to the range at 4pm on a sunny Saturday and you have the place to yourself. Absolutely remember some fudd types in the beginning that referred to my ak as a “cannon”. My only gripe is getting the new keys is always a PITA.

I'm surprised this thread got opened up after all this time. Thanks for the interest.

I actually got an email from the club early in 2019 stating that I going to be at the top of the wait list for the next "enrollment period" and that I should line up a sponsor and get my application in order. So I visited the club a couple of times to scope out the facilities and meet some folks there.

The people I met there were friendly enough when I met them (a different group on each occasion) but when I mentioned I was hoping to get a sponsor for membership, they got real standoffish and said it could take several visits and a few months for that to happen which would cause me to miss the opportunity. When I inquired as to why it was so hard they had stories about safety issues, personal responsibilities and crazy people at shooting ranges.

Now I'm (I think) a pretty normal looking guy. I have been handling firearms and shooting at ranges in several different states around the country for almost 50 years with zero negative interactions with Range Masters, so their skepticism was a surprise and disappointment.

I subsequently contacted the office at PR&G and ask them to remove me from the waiting list.

I would reconsider if I could come up with a sponsor without having to jump through months of hoops. Even if it meant going back a on the waiting list.

Last edited:
I'm becoming a fan of indoor ranges that charge by the hour, with no sponsorship or four-visits-before-we-approve-you bullshit. Used to drive to Cape Gun Works but recently discovered Fat Cats in Bridgewater. Fat Cats is not only closer to me, but they're handguns only. Never could figure out why CGW, with two ranges, would stick a new shooter with a Wrangler right next to some giggling millenial with a fire-belching Star Wars super-blaster shooting aliens at seven yards.

I'm surprised this thread got opened up after all this time. Thanks for the interest.

I actually got an email from the club early in 2019 stating that I going to be at the top of the wait list for the next "enrollment period" and that I should line up a sponsor and get my application in order. So I visited the club a couple of times to scope out the facilities and meet some folks there.

The people I met there were friendly enough when I met them (a different group on each occasion) but when I mentioned I was hoping to get a sponsor for membership, they got real standoffish and said it could take several visits and a few months for that to happen which would cause me to miss the opportunity. When I inquired as to why it was so hard they had stories about safety issues, personal responsibilities and crazy people at shooting ranges.

Now I'm (I think) a pretty normal looking guy. I have been handling firearms and shooting at ranges in several different states around the country for almost 50 years with zero negative interactions with Range Masters, so their skepticism was a surprise and disappointment.

I subsequently contacted the office at PR&G and ask them to remove me from the waiting list.

I would reconsider if I could come up with a sponsor without having to jump through months of hoops. Even if it meant going back a on the waiting list.
Im 50 been shooting since I can remember , my dad was big on safety in all my years going to gun clubs with my dad and later years as an adult it just seems for every 1 good safety conscious gun person theres 2 that show up to cause these issues you/we face.

Some clubs have deep/old money and if a club has a cap on membership it can be a long ass wait for a opening.

I'm becoming a fan of indoor ranges that charge by the hour, with no sponsorship or four-visits-before-we-approve-you bullshit. Used to drive to Cape Gun Works but recently discovered Fat Cats in Bridgewater. Fat Cats is not only closer to me, but they're handguns only. Never could figure out why CGW, with two ranges, would stick a new shooter with a Wrangler right next to some giggling millenial with a fire-belching Star Wars super-blaster shooting aliens at seven yards.
$$$$. They pay to play , I dont think fat cat back stop is “safe” for rifle?
That range is pretty old and was closed for many years. If you got friendly with tbe owners dad , if the daughter is still the current owner , he would open up a lane
I went there mid 2000s and the range was packed full of shit.

I was a member of Hanson for years. Plymouth seems to be an insiders club and hassles new members, I have no time for that.
How do they hassle new members? I just joined took me maybe two months max to get in as a memeber and see no new members being hassled.

Probably in the past. I have not been there in years. I tried to join 15 years ago . Felt like jumping through hoops. I ended up going back to Hanson and Old Colony.
I have not been near plymouth in many years. Did a few sporting clays trips YEARS ago

Back
Top Bottom