Any Navy/Marine guys ever spend time in Diego Garcia, Bahrain, Japan, or Okinawa?

Supposedly there aren't a lot of seagoing billets coming up at my next rotation - does anyone have experience with those locations?

Tokyo = cool

DG/Bahrain/Oki = The Suck

That's pretty much what I figured. The tour lengths in Bahrain and DG are only a year, though. Okinawa is avoid at all costs...

I'm not big on Japan but apparently most of the billets are either there or on ships homeported out of there.

An old Buddy of mine did. He was never the same.

I assume that means DG sucks.

I'm not big on Japan but apparently most of the billets are either there or on ships homeported out of there.

Yokosuka was a pretty cool experience, I spent a year there. The food was fantastic, and the trains can take you damn near anywhere. I got to go to Hong Kong while there, right after I left the ship pulled into Vladivostok and South Korea, 2 places I would have liked to have gone. We stopped in Sasebo for a weekend, that place sucked. Liberty in port Japan kind of sucked for the enlisted guys though, but that was 5 years ago.

Have you looked at Diego Garcia on google maps/earth? It's tiny. Bigger than a ship though! Looks like a nice place to visit but not sure about staying. I almost had an opportunity to visit working on an Air Force contract and was excited to go but they cancelled. I wonder if you can do any fishing or beach recreation there? They probably get the monsoons too for a couple months.

Have you looked at Diego Garcia on google maps/earth? It's tiny. Bigger than a ship though! Looks like a nice place to visit but not sure about staying. I almost had an opportunity to visit working on an Air Force contract and was excited to go but they cancelled. I wonder if you can do any fishing or beach recreation there? They probably get the monsoons too for a couple months.

I had a shipmate that I rented a house with out in San Diego who was stationed there 2 years. He loved it, but he is one of those xgames kind of guys and wake boarding was his favorite thing. He said the MWR out there was great for that kind of stuff. The thing he said that sucked was the fact that there were a hand full of navy girls and an island full of navy dudes, Brit and US. He said the fights that would break out over the same 5 girls was retarded.

I had a shipmate that I rented a house with out in San Diego who was stationed there 2 years. He loved it, but he is one of those xgames kind of guys and wake boarding was his favorite thing. He said the MWR out there was great for that kind of stuff. The thing he said that sucked was the fact that there were a hand full of navy girls and an island full of navy dudes, Brit and US. He said the fights that would break out over the same 5 girls was retarded.

Yes, lack of socialization would seem to be the problem, LOL. Can you BYO girl to DG? Are families allowed to go with for millitary or civilian workers?

Yes, lack of socialization would seem to be the problem, LOL. Can you BYO girl to DG? Are families allowed to go with for millitary or civilian workers?

I don't know. I do know that he has a crazy baby momma, and he was looking to go back to get away from her.

Diego Garcia is an unaccompanied billet - only adultery and fornication are permitted. Military couples are not allowed either.

I did think about how much that would suck. I imagine that it's even worse for officers than enlisted.

I've heard that you can fish, snorkel, and do other water sports, but that there's not much else to do. Was hoping someone had firsthand experience but I do appreciate the insights. Any experiences with Guam?

I had fun in Guam, but that is because we had been out some extended period of time, and it really wouldn't have mattered where we were, as long as there was booze and strippers. Once I sobered up the next morning I realized there was so much US military there that the island might actually capsize.

I had fun in Guam, but that is because we had been out some extended period of time, and it really wouldn't have mattered where we were, as long as there was booze and strippers. Once I sobered up the next morning I realized there was so much US military there that the island might actually capsize.

Wait till they put a bunch of Devil Dogs on that island. THEN it'll capsize.

Diego Garcia is an unaccompanied billet - only adultery and fornication are permitted. Military couples are not allowed either...

I don't have any first hand experiences with any of these places, never been in the military, and can't recall ever being on an overseas base. I just chimed in because I had the same question as you. I day dream about moving overseas provided I could find a job somewhere and on the Fed Jobs web site Diego Garcia often pops up (civilian jobs). I assume because most assignments are for a year and after that people move on. Other place I've often thought about is the Antarctica Station but I think I'd go mad there. As a consultant I used to travel overseas though and spent some time in the Philippines, but AFAIK there's no more bases there. Fun times in the PI! Lots of American history there. Was in Kuwait for a month--boring. Puerto Rico is nice but I think they practically shut down that base.

When I was in the USN back in the 70's, we were always threatened with being shipped to DG if we 'effed' up in bootcamp or school...I worked hard not to have to go...Pretty brutal duty from all reports... as said above, all swingin' dicks...nothing else...may be different now that WAVES are even on Subs now...

When I was in the USN back in the 70's, we were always threatened with being shipped to DG if we 'effed' up in bootcamp or school...I worked hard not to have to go...Pretty brutal duty from all reports... as said above, all swingin' dicks...nothing else...may be different now that WAVES are even on Subs now...

Lol... they said it's pretty bad - there are women there but not many.

Lol... they said it's pretty bad - there are women there but not many.

There's a woman behind every tree! However, there is only one tree!

The Army tried to send me to Johnston Atoll back in the 80s. I intentionally pulled an Article 15 so my clearance would be denied.

I was stationed at NAS Agana for about 22 months in 80/81. It's gone now , I'm sure there are still a bunch of commands on the island. What rate are you ?

I was stationed at NAS Agana for about 22 months in 80/81. It's gone now , I'm sure there are still a bunch of commands on the island. What rate are you ?

LT

There's a woman behind every tree! However, there is only one tree!

The Army tried to send me to Johnston Atoll back in the 80s. I intentionally pulled an Article 15 so my clearance would be denied.

[laugh]

Last edited:
A close friend of mine is in DG, he says it sucks out there...he said there is really nothing to do there expect for fishing, diving and drinking with the brits. He was suppose to get shipped out last week to Japan but something happened, so he's stuck there for another 9 months to finish up the rest of his time in the service. As far as women being there i don't know if there are any, all of the pictures he posts on face book are guys dressed in drag...don't ask, don't tell right [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom