• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any new hunters want to try duck hunting?

pj150

NES Member
I'm probably heading out on sat morning 10/17 and can take one or two guys if you want to go.

You will need appropriate licenses, gun, ammo, camo, and waders. I will have decoys and a small inflatable to deploy them.

I'm looking to take guys who are new to hunting and want to try waterfowling- not guys who want to know my spots. I will be going out on public areas so it's no secret. I will show you what I do and I have been pretty successful so far. Take it as that. I'm not an expert and don't proclaim to be. Just want to show a few newbies a nice time if they feel intimidated on not knowing what to do or want to go with someone who has some experience.

I am in central ma and we will be hunting around here. Please don't say you will go and bag out at the last minute. Let's be fair. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

Kind offer. You're a gentleman. I'm not new to hunting but would be to waterfowl. You''re not in my neck of the woods though. Offers like this are few and far between. Anyone who takes you up would be very fortunate. Hopefully they reciprocate by buying you some steak, giving you some venison, a nice bottle of whiskey or something.

I would love to take you up on this next year because that's when I planned for it. I have none of the second paragraph.
Hopefully you will be kind enough to do this again next year.

Thanks for the kind words. Just making what I proposed earlier in the year a reality.

Just doing what I wished for when I started out. Not looking for anything in return, just knowing that I helped someone have a good time and that they learned something practical from me is good enough.

Great offer and I'm sure a lot of people here appreciate it (I know I do) even if they don't get to take advantage of it.
If I didn't have a wedding to go to that weekend I would be sorely tempted to take you on it!

Kind offer. When I was at various duty stations, I would invite guys out like that all the time. Get the guys out of the barracks and all. I had extra waders, coats and shotguns, all they needed was a license and a box of shells (or two) the gear might not be the best fitting but it worked good enough for sitting in a duck blind. Everyone enjoyed it and one guy in particular got bit by the bug and is now a water fowling fool and trains retrievers lol.

Man. Why'd I have to go get married? I'd be 100% down for this if my first wedding anniversary wasn't that weekend. If you end up going out later in the season, I'd love to take you up on the offer.

This is my first year hunting and would LOVE to go! My Grampa was a waterfowl guy, but my dad didn't believe in hunting/guns, so I never got to learn. I'm right in Worcester and can definitely take the day off that Saturday. I have everything listed but waders, but would need help choosing which shotgun to use. I have a Ruger red label, a browning auto 5, and a Mossberg 930 JM pro.

Rep points inbound even if you choose someone else. Very generous offer.

I'm not young...33...but got into guns when I joined the Marine Corps...and the obvious next step was to try hunting. I went squirelling today, but it started pouring so bad I couldn't see so we packed up. I'm very familiar with Firearms, just not with the hunting process.

This is my first year hunting and would LOVE to go! My Grampa was a waterfowl guy, but my dad didn't believe in hunting/guns, so I never got to learn. I'm right in Worcester and can definitely take the day off that Saturday. I have everything listed but waders, but would need help choosing which shotgun to use. I have a Ruger red label, a browning auto 5, and a Mossberg 930 JM pro.

Rep points inbound even if you choose someone else. Very generous offer.
if its an old auto 5 using it for duck will be difficult. not rated for steel and finding 2 3/4 inch non toxic alternatives to steel is damn near impossible. my son wants to use my old browning for the youth duck hunt in two weeks. kent makes a 2 3/4 inch tungston alloy shell......but impossible to find.......and $37 for a box........of 10!!!!!!

hes gonna have to settle for the mossy 500 for duck!

Got a number of pms expressing interest. Will get pms out to you guys later on this weekend. For those not on 10/17, maybe the weekend after?

I do have another shotgun you can borrow should you not have one or if it's not something you want to take into the field. Waders or at least waterproof boots that go up to your knees are a must. It'll be a miserable morning if your feet get soaked. If no camo, wear something dark - black, dark green, brown- you get the idea.. I have blind material to put up so it will break up our profile. As long as you don't move until the last moments before unleashing the steel rain of death, you should be ok.

This is an awesome offer! I'm new to hunting this year and would love to go with someone experienced. Good luck to you and whoever you bring along!

The most important thing to teach new waterfowl hunters is: Be still, and be silent.

I loved every minute of these first two days of early coastal duck. And I fired four rounds hitting ZILCH. ;)

Awesome of you to offer, OP.

I'm not in for waterfowl but if anyone is willing to offer something similar for upland bird or small game, I'd be interested for sure.

Im taking my son on the youth duck hunt at plum island saturday. Will be my first time with duck as well. Looking forward to it. We went to the res to get the blinds all spruced up last weekend and i learned alot just from that.

Lots of activity last weekend but nothing brought home. Most birds were out of range or flared away. Didn't help that I guided these fellas to the wrong spot. Had a nice place in mind but we went to the incorrect parking lot. I got confused in the dark but eventually settled in on a different place.

Best part for me was meeting some other members from this forum and watching a family of trumpet swans milling around and exercising their wings in preparation for their journey south. They must have circled around for 10-15 times and landed back. Kinds funny to see these magnificent birds do some not so graceful take offs and landings.

Back
Top Bottom