• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Norinco AK experience?

I will gladly ditch one of my 2 norincos for a good model pre healy with a low round count.. one is NIB. Original packaging..unfired. The other is pretty clean with nice hardwood furniture. Normal stock and pistol grip with a cheese grater.

Go green and make a wts ad

I'm new. How do I do that

It's very well worth it.

I’ve done those replacement on my Norinco. It was a bitch. I still use that rifle 30 years after I bought a bunch of them, thought I would wear it out and throw it away. They were cheap to buy back then @179.00. Each. It has more than 25 k down the pipe, but you need to do maintenance. Trigger, springs, ceracoat and optics. Been great

And the value of your "improved" MAK90 is about a third the price it would be if you just left it alone, since it's money you're hung up on. You can't see the forest for the trees.
He’s got a point. I sit here sliding my Magpul stock back and forth on my AR nervously like a fidget cube to take my mind away from the thought of cutting up my NHM91 thumb hole stock or what this guys gonna do to the 56. I say we give him a surprise sock party, take the 56 for safe custody and leave him with a C39V2.
All in good fun OP but seriously please don’t.

I bought it a few years ago and planned to keep in standard configuration, but with everything going on in the world, I need more utility.

I already have a good amount of magazines and 7.62x39, so an AK fit the bill nicely. I haven't found much in that realm when factoring in quality and availability in MA,, so I figured I'd just modify what I have.

I dont plan any modifications that aren't reversible. The Zhukov handguard is the most invasive aspect. It requires the removal of the handguard retainer, which in free states most users just hack off. Obviously I'd prefer to retain the option of returning the weapon into its original configuration. The plan is simply to remove the front sight and gas block, remove the necessary parts, then put the sight and gas block back on.

The entire purpose of this thread was to find the least invasive way of removing the parts so as to maintain the originality of the gun. So far I've just heard a lot of nothing.
How is that plastic pos magpul thing giving you any more utility?

ok the pins are either easy or hard to get out.
1. Use your choice of Psychological support (penetrating oil)
2. Obtain a solid support to support both the rifle and where you will be pounding on the pins.
I use a large hunk of lead with various holes in it for the pins to drop into.
3. High quality short drift pins of the correct size.
4. Look closely to see if the pins are tapered. One side will be larger than the other. Drive out from the small side.
Note a "rule of thumb " pins / dovetails and such are "generally" driven out from the left side.
This is not etched in stone so proceed with caution.
Now the fun part , either the pins will move and drift out with a good solid whack or you might need a small press.
I stripped off several AK barrel parts from kits I bought many years ago. Some times the pins tapped right out others needed a press . A few needed some heat to get them moving. Low heat

Again , I do not see any gay'nes adding that thing to your platform. You putting a dustcover scope mount too....

so slap it on the bench and give the pins a whack and see what happens.

oh I had some gas blocks and front sight bases that took some work to get them to slide off the barrel.

"" cOlLeCtAbLe ""
It's worth a pretty penny but collectable? Ehh.. Could you do this to a less costly AK? Yeah but then you're buying a piece of shit at full rona-tard value.

Ironically this board has a lot of people for personal agency. My opinion? When you're done with the changes, film yourself lighting the wood parts on fire and pissing on em to put it out.

Really rile up some of these folks. They'll probably clutch their pearls and lose some sleep. Now THAT has value.

I’m going to go ahead and say that anything that has increased in value by 1,000% in 30 years and hasn’t been available since is “collectible”.

But they’re your investments, guys, do what you want. You can also invest in encyclopedias or Myspace stock for all we care.

"" cOlLeCtAbLe ""
It's worth a pretty penny but collectable? Ehh.. Could you do this to a less costly AK? Yeah but then you're buying a piece of shit at full rona-tard value.

Ironically this board has a lot of people for personal agency. My opinion? When you're done with the changes, film yourself lighting the wood parts on fire and pissing on em to put it out.

Really rile up some of these folks. They'll probably clutch their pearls and lose some sleep. Now THAT has value.
he should try posting this on gun boards or M14 forums under foriegn rifles. You wont need thick skin like here on NES they just delete your post and suspend or ban you.

AKs born to shoot with out f***ing with them.
Adding plastic doohickies to them does not increase function, utility or what have you.

Take ak to range adjust sights so you get hits on target on torso sized target and run it!

sadly my mak90 came with the weird plastic stock , came with thumb hole wood loose in the box. over Over the years the past 20+ years the mounting hardware for the wood stock has vanished and the price of the wood stocks has climb to the cost I,am not interested in converting back to "ak style" wood. I just shoot it.

Chinese AKs are not expensive because they're collectable. They're expensive because they make up about 98% of the pre-ban supply and can be had without modification in ban states.

It wouldn't matter if they were Chinese, Romanian, polish or whatever. The value of a pre-ban gun is always gonna be exponentially higher than a post-ban of the same variety.

Take the Egyptian Maadi for example. The exact same model made in the exact same factory only a year earlier can be worth twice as much.

I’m going to go ahead and say that anything that has increased in value by 1,000% in 30 years and hasn’t been available since is “collectible”.

But they’re your investments, guys, do what you want. You can also invest in encyclopedias or Myspace stock for all we care.
I think there is a line between collectable and value when it comes to guns.
Sks, ak variants where under $150 when I turned 18 you could get sks on sale often under $100
i paid $129 for my mak90 and it came with drum,2 30s ,2 20s and a ten and five round mag and free case of corrosive ammo as back then that white box "non corrosive" hunting ammo was flooding our shores.

IF you find a collector who "needs" to fill a slot you can get top $. If you find someone who wants a AK variant all tactical,operator ready you will get top$

Also, there's also always going to be gun purists. People who believe that sporterization of milsurps is a sin, guns with wood must always be wood, and that the guns they grew up with are the pinnacle of technology.

These people are the enemies of progress and should not be listened to.

The 1911 has been obsolete for almost half a century.
The M1 Garand is wildly over-rated.
The AK platform is an incomplete design.
The M14 is the worst battle rifle of all time.
Revolvers are inferior to automatics.
A gun is a tool and tools are subject to improvement. EkHZh-HU0AEkgS0.jpg

"" cOlLeCtAbLe ""

that would be sweet.
my post got deleted on milsurps for posting and asking abount a scope mount on a 513t
i ruined history.
No the clubs that put 1/2 mil rounds through it, dropped it, kicked it let it rot ruined its history.
I am a continued part of its history....still shooting it 78yrs later since its birth.

Also, there's also always going to be gun purists. People who believe that sporterization of milsurps is a sin, guns with wood must always be wood, and that the guns they grew up with are the pinnacle of technology.

These people are the enemies of progress and should not be listened to.

The 1911 has been obsolete for almost half a century.
The M1 Garand is wildly over-rated.
The AK platform is an incomplete design.
The M14 is the worst battle rifle of all time.
Revolvers are inferior to automatics.
A gun is a tool and tools are subject to improvement. View attachment 436613
other than being heavy I dont think the M1 gets over rated?
one thing about the garand is it started its design life in the 20s and was designed to be shot alot.
i will try to find it , JCG said at some point that he designed the M1 around minimal maintenance, no lubrication needed and a few other things.
I do agree the op rod design could have been better and really surprised he did not have a straight piston version from the start.

Sadly guns in general have reached a design Plato. Seems the only real changes are material and machine/production .
Juzt about every system is juzt a modification of
a Mauser, 1911, or various browning designs of the past 100yrs
Its all fun , i think its sad that so many guns are just tucked away in closet never seeing the range or even getting into the hands of the young

other than being heavy I dont think the M1 gets over rated?
one thing about the garand is it started its design life in the 20s and was designed to be shot alot.
i will try to find it , JCG said at some point that he designed the M1 around minimal maintenance, no lubrication needed and a few other things.
I do agree the op rod design could have been better and really surprised he did not have a straight piston version from the start.

Sadly guns in general have reached a design Plato. Seems the only real changes are material and machine/production .
Juzt about every system is juzt a modification of
a Mauser, 1911, or various browning designs of the past 100yrs
Its all fun , i think its sad that so many guns are just tucked away in closet never seeing the range or even getting into the hands of the young
Underfolder AKs are just not that fun to shoot. The folding stocks are wildly uncomfortable and, like most AKs, they get hot as shit after the first mag and there's very little area to grip at the fore end of the weapon. Also, the length of pull on an underfolder AK is a little longer than I'd like for practical applications.

But of course, because the Russians sacrificed user friendliness in favor of easy mass production, my range trip apparently needs to suck.

Like do all boomers everywhere just want everyone to be miserable?

BARREL BURNS BUILD CHARACTER

We're talking present day. Right here right now. It's a lot cheaper to buy a norinco in MA and put a lot of rounds down range as compared to the Pre 94 ARs going at the $3000 mark
If you’re willing to accept that Healey's press release isn’t law, you can build a brand new AR for WAY less than $3k. But yes the ammo is expensive and hard to get.

I had a NHM90. It was cool, and my friend tore his apart and made it updated for modern gunfighting. I liked how the magpul add ons and the dog leg top rail turned out. But then a guy was offering a trade, his AR for an AK.. so now i just own ARs.

We live very short lives.. do what you want to do with YOUR gun. It is yours, not theirs.

Underfolder AKs are just not that fun to shoot. The folding stocks are wildly uncomfortable and, like most AKs, they get hot as shit after the first mag and there's very little area to grip at the fore end of the weapon. Also, the length of pull on an underfolder AK is a little longer than I'd like for practical applications.

But of course, because the Russians sacrificed user friendliness in favor of easy mass production, my range trip apparently needs to suck.

If you buy a underfolder or side folder for fun comfortable range trips well thats a problem.
If you cant seem to keep your hands on the handguards you may want to figure out why.
Im not a boomer. Im a child of boomers.

Look at my post you will see Im far from a purist or fudd. Theres just somethings that dont make good sense out side "because I want to" I gave direction to get the parts off. O P needs to grab a hammer and punched and a block of hardwood and have at it.
Some of the back lash i recieved for my current Mauser rebarrel is laughable.
If your mods get you to the range and keep shooting "hack away"

heck just the looks and comments at the range I still get for shooting cast bullets through everything I own keeps things fun.

Just to throw a wrench into the mix, what if your AK was made with plastic furniture, that looks like wood. Heads explode.

I used to have a Clayco with the black plastic furniture. It looked sleek and all, but it felt flimsy when I held it. Cool-looking rifle, though.

I've owned two underfolders and I won't own a third. I only bought the second because it was a legit collectible. I shoot what I own, and I just can't get used to UFs.

I get that technology changes, and I DEFINITELY get that owners should do what they please with their own rifles. But I also think it's unwise to risk permanent damage to an expensive firearm for no good reason, especially when you can get identical results from a far cheaper firearm. And I think that when gun owners expose their ideas and ask for advice on a public forum, they shouldn't be surprised when people disagree with their ideas. Especially if they've tried them before and found little improvement.

I used to have a Clayco with the black plastic furniture. It looked sleek and all, but it felt flimsy when I held it. Cool-looking rifle, though.

I've owned two underfolders and I won't own a third. I only bought the second because it was a legit collectible. I shoot what I own, and I just can't get used to UFs.

I get that technology changes, and I DEFINITELY get that owners should do what they please with their own rifles. But I also think it's unwise to risk permanent damage to an expensive firearm for no good reason, especially when you can get identical results from a far cheaper firearm. And I think that when gun owners expose their ideas and ask for advice on a public forum, they shouldn't be surprised when people disagree with their ideas. Especially if they've tried them before and found little improvement.
I keep thinking I want an underfolder, but I think I like the idea/collectability of it more than anything.

My nhm91 is a fantastic shooter though, just heavy

I keep thinking I want an underfolder, but I think I like the idea/collectability of it more than anything.

My nhm91 is a fantastic shooter though, just heavy
In my mind, I can think of a couple of SHTF scenarios where an underfolder would come in handy. But they're really unlikely scenarios. Not likely enough to justify the price and the discomfort.

I Currently have all the models that China produced for the USA market. Its underfolders where painful to shoot. So I took a mak90 stamped model and upgraded it with all the modern shit including a Zhukov side folder. Much better experience, the best upgrade was recently added (adjustable gas piston). Just shoot what you have and upgrade it the way you want it. Who cares about making it worth less money?? It’s a tool to save your life or someone else’s. It’s buy a good foundation rifle and make it yours. Try to identify what type of defensive shooting you may encounter and make the upgrades work in those situations, don’t listen to people that have never used a gun in real combat, they are just guessing

We're talking present day. Right here right now. It's a lot cheaper to buy a norinco in MA and put a lot of rounds down range as compared to the Pre 94 ARs going at the $3000 mark

Lol nobody does that stuff except lazy plebs/pant shitters. although right now the whole market is going to shit with building anything, so theres that....

Back
Top Bottom