Any opinions?

One thing I didn't like about the .40 S&W (from a Sig P239 at least) was the way it 'snaps' the wrist. Thought it was just me, but had a friend who shoots LOTS of pistols say the same thing.

One thing you need to remember about todays 9mm Personal Def. loads is they have come a long way in the past decade (I was about to keep myself to .45 ACP and the wife to .38 +P til talking with a couple in the industry and such).

One thing I didn't like about the .40 S&W (from a Sig P239 at least) was the way it 'snaps' the wrist. Thought it was just me, but had a friend who shoots LOTS of pistols say the same thing.

One thing you need to remember about todays 9mm Personal Def. loads is they have come a long way in the past decade (I was about to keep myself to .45 ACP and the wife to .38 +P til talking with a couple in the industry and such).

Grin, the only thing I can think of if it "snaps the wrist", is that the wrist is not locked....as in "limp wrist". Frequently use .357, .45 ACP, 9MM, .460 S&W, and .45 Win Mag in an LAR Grizzly. At this point in time, have no problem.

When new, it was pointed out to me that my lack of wrist lock was causing jams. I listened and learned.

Have never fired a .40 S&W, but can't help but think the same holds true.

I have a SW99 in 9mm. I found the compact version to be just a bit too small for my hand even with the pinky extension. For carry, I'm sure it's great, but since I've never shot a compact, I cannot comment about it's snappiness. Full sized, I have no complaints about the gun.

I have a SW99 in 9mm. I found the compact version to be just a bit too small for my hand even with the pinky extension. For carry, I'm sure it's great, but since I've never shot a compact, I cannot comment about it's snappiness. Full sized, I have no complaints about the gun.

Have a Sig P226 "Blackwater Edition" and have found (for me) that a set of Hogue grips w/finger grooves works out great. Never had to move the sights and the grip feels great. Have larger-sized hands and the Hogue did the trick.

Have a Sig P226 "Blackwater Edition" and have found (for me) that a set of Hogue grips w/finger grooves works out great. Never had to move the sights and the grip feels great. Have larger-sized hands and the Hogue did the trick.

Agreed, Hogue and a 226 go together very well. I much prefer Houge over the factory sig grips, but we're talking about the SW99. It does not have a removable grip, only adjustable size palm pads so it'll have to be a slip-on or nothing. Personally I didn't feel the need with the full sized, but the compact might need some extra grip. All depends on the shooter.

Agreed, Hogue and a 226 go together very well. I much prefer Houge over the factory sig grips, but we're talking about the SW99. It does not have a removable grip, only adjustable size palm pads so it'll have to be a slip-on or nothing. Personally I didn't feel the need with the full sized, but the compact might need some extra grip. All depends on the shooter.

Agreed. It all comes down to the individual shooter and what works for him/her. [wink]

I owned a S&W 99c for a few years, carried it in an iwb leather holster, I believe it was a desantis. Great gun accurate reliable. Just a bit to thick for me for iwb, traded it for a p239 sig in 40 S&W. I mostly carry a Para Carry in 45acp 6 rounds, compact and conceals nicely for me. hope this helps.

Grin, the only thing I can think of if it "snaps the wrist", is that the wrist is not locked....as in "limp wrist". Frequently use .357, .45 ACP, 9MM, .460 S&W, and .45 Win Mag in an LAR Grizzly. At this point in time, have no problem.

When new, it was pointed out to me that my lack of wrist lock was causing jams. I listened and learned.

Have never fired a .40 S&W, but can't help but think the same holds true.

Not the case here. I shoot .45 ACP a lot, and my friend who shot and also commented shoots .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum and has shot a lot of .40 S&W. There were NO FTF, FTE etc. Just very sharp muzzle rise from the gun and standard WWB.

sw99ol or sw99c in .40 any info would help, trying to make up my mind. Also should I purchase it in 9mm or .40.
Thanks

I'd get the 9mm over .40: cheaper, a little less recoil, probably no real big difference in stopping power.

Why do you want a 99 and not an M&P (just curious)?

Not the case here. I shoot .45 ACP a lot, and my friend who shot and also commented shoots .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum and has shot a lot of .40 S&W. There were NO FTF, FTE etc. Just very sharp muzzle rise from the gun and standard WWB.

Perhaps I truly do not understand? Your friend was commenting (?) on wrist snap? I, only as an individual, only know of one reason for "wrist snap", and that is "limp wrist".

Muzzle rise....sure. There is muzzle rise with ANY caliber, even .22. How do you not have it...at all? Perhaps it was my training in bullseye 2700's that forms my opinion and comments.

Until I learned to "lock" my wrist and elbow, I went nowhere. This was pointed out to me by "Master" shooters at the time. Keep in mind this is one hand, not two.

Limp wrist DID cause problems because the slide would not function properly on tight, accurized, .45....using Match Grade hardball. Learned to let the shoulder be the pivot point to ride the recoil...and "go with the flow", and from the shoulder down was a "straight rod". Keep in mind this is "bullseye" 900 and 2700 competition, and that's what my comments are based on.

Even today, I see shooters using autos with a two-hand hold have problems with feeding. After closer observation, I see the wrist flexing and slightly rotating.

Can't help but see the connection[wink]

I shot a Sig at the Manchester Firing Line, I forget what model, it was 9mm, but it was definitely snappy. I don't have any issues shooting my M&P40 and G22, so I don't think I was/am limp wristing.

I shot a Sig at the Manchester Firing Line, I forget what model, it was 9mm, but it was definitely snappy. I don't have any issues shooting my M&P40 and G22, so I don't think I was/am limp wristing.

To know for sure, have a trained observer...preferably a Master shooter, sit by the side and watch. If you trust the person, you will have your answer.[grin]

I don't know any Master shooters... [crying]

Seek them out. If you compete, look around. If you belong to a club, ask. If neither, go to some matches and do nothing but watch and observe. Look at the scoreboard....seek out the Masters and ask some questions.

Back
Top Bottom