• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Recommendation on Pepper spray?

As Karen will be going to campus on most days and won't be able to carry. Any good recommendations on a good pepper spray that she can easily carry/hide but still would be strong enough in case she ever needed it. She rides public transportation every day and I can't believe I had to get her licensed just for the spray...
Thanks!!

keep in mind, pepper spray is considered "Ammunition" in MA, which makes it illigal to carry on college campuses...

when massachusetts calls for victim disarmament, they mean victim disarmament.

then again, while i would never advocate breaking any law, i know a few people who aren't me who believe having a method of self-defense available outweighs the fine involved if caught

That is stupid.
That is all.

Hairspray and a reliable lighter. No laws, no fuss. Now she just has to decide if she prefers her assailants crispy or extra crispy. [smile]

*I can't remember the wording/rating, but I think there's a system for severity on pepper spray, I'm sure someone here knows the levels and terms... I think it has to do with the concentrations of the components. I've also heard anti-bear sprays do well.

Last edited:
I knew that , I was just saying im serious she should know what it feels like to be sprayed and that she can fight through it, its fun she will love it.

I knew that , I was just saying im serious she should know what it feels like to be sprayed and that she can fight through it, its fun she will love it.

Oh yes, liked getting kicked in the balls right? [wink] . I would use anything with pepper spray in it. Stay away from mace because it is weaker than pepper spray.

Any good recommendations on a good pepper spray that she can easily carry/hide but still would be strong enough in case she ever needed it.

As the others have said, pepper spray on campus is a huge no-no, and if convicted she'll be disqualified for life from obtaining a Mass. LTC. It's explained in the "DQ" thread in my sigline. [thinking]

You need to introduce me to these women you know. [laugh]

as far as i know, the only measurement of the strength of a spray is by percentage of the active ingredient (Oleoresin Capsicum), and by a scale known as the Scoville scale

Those are the ones that you hear the most about. Most people don't know about the major capsaicinoids, which is the potent part of the pepper that induces pain. Not all brands are created equal in this regard. First Defense is .18% major capsaicinoids, Punch 2 is .675%, Sabre Red is 1.33%. The other brands fluctuate somewhere between those, except for the Pepper Gel's, which are usually 1.4% major capsaicinoids to make up for the carrier (the gel) slowing down absorbtion.

The Scoville scale is affected by how quickly the pepper is absorbed into the skin, so you'll see a lot of manufacturers up the SHU's by lowering the overall Oleoresin Capsicum percentage (Fox Labs, for one). The overall OC percentage (typically 5% or 10% in defense sprays) is the percentage of pepper sauce in the can; higher percentages hit harder and last longer but usually take longer to be absorbed. The rest of the contents are made up by the carrier (water or alcohol generally, sometimes foam or gel to reduce cross-contamination), and the propellant, which depends on the brand.

Then you have the type of spray, like stream, cone, fogger, gel, foam, grenade, etc. Some people prefer stream for it's accuracy, cone because it sprays like a sawed off shotgun, foam/gel because they rarely affect anyone else in the room...others hate stream because if someone turns their face at the last second and you don't hit their eyes/nose/mouth they'll hardly be affected (ask me how I know this), hate cone because it's less precise, hate gel/foam because it takes so long to take effect, etc.

Like firearms, all sprays are not equal. Some perform like a .50 BMG, but are put in a platform equivalent to a Jennings or a Lorcin (bad seals in the cans, lame propellant, poor carrier, etc.), which greatly reduces their reliability. Others are like the American Arms .25 I used to own, 100% reliable in delivery, but very little effect on the badguy. So ideally you want one like your gun, easy to conceal, powerful, reliable, and so on.

To give you an idea of what you're up against, I've done a bit of research into OC, and most of the stuff you see women carrying on their keychains is utter garbage. Because you're in MA, state law considers pepper spray to be ammunition, so you can only purchase it through FFL's in state according to the AG. Most people won't ship it here, and most of the manly men in gun shops want nothing to do with pepper spray and know nothing about it, so they sell some keychain brand that no one's ever heard of.

Personally, I like Sabre Red 10% OC/1.33% mc in cone spray, with the oil based carrier (I hate the water based one) and the dual propellant system; the problem is the only reliable delivery IMO on those is in the duty sized cans, which can only really be concealed in a purse. I don't carry OC as part of my concealed carry setup; I generally like it as a tool, but it requires maintenance (don't carry the can for more than a year, make sure the nozzle's clear, don't leave it in a very hot/very cold environment, etc.) and I have enough crap in my pockets as it is.

My advice: like with firearms, most major brands are essentially the same. Do some research and make some reality based choices. If she works in the ICU of a hospital, cross contamination will be an issue (spray a burst of OC indoors and you'll clear the room if not the building), so gel or foam would be best. If she's trying to do a cell extraction for a rowdy prisoner, buy her the grenade. [smile] Just make sure she can fight with her hands, since OC is a limited tool against any kind of serious threat.

There's a lot of BS surrounding OC similar to caliber wars. Some of it is based in science, some is based in stupidity. Explain to your wife that people can and will fight through it. If she carries it, it should be with the understanding that it's to irritate, distract and possibly temporarily blind her opponent in a fist fight. It will devolve into a fistfight if she lets it; roughly half the people I've sprayed stopped all aggression on the spot, the rest kept fighting, running, or whatever else they wanted to do. Some people aren't affected by it at all, others collapse and beg to die. Tell her to "spray and run away," and just like with a gun, don't wave it around and warn the opponent "I have pepper spray!" Let it come as a surprise, if they've never been hit with it before it will probably shock them quite a bit. If they're a hardcore felon who fights the cops every time they show up, they'll know what to expect and won't be bothered much.

some states legislate the maximum percentage, while others regulate the amount one may carry, as far as i know, Massachusetts has no restrictions (IANAL)

Correct. Even with a restricted FID one could theoretically carry a Dog the Bounty Hunter-esque fire extinguisher sized can of OC. I wouldn't recommend it though, drawing those puts pressure on the seal at the rim of the can and can cause a spontaneous evacuation. That's a lot of hurting, let me tell you, especially when you go home and shower and it reactivates in the hot water...[laugh] it's the gift that keeps on giving.

the "Law Enforcement Grade pepper spray" works out to be roughly 33.3% Pure... that officially gains the Haynesmic seal of approval!

Negative. "Law Enforcement Strength" is a marketing gimmick. NYPD uses First Defense, which is utter garbage (10% OC/.18% mc/stream), but they buy it because when outfitting 40,000 officers price matters, and First Defense is $1 less per can. Cap Stun sucks, they only got anywhere because of a well placed bribe (no really, look it up), the stupid trigger system on the can is easy to break or accidentally activate.

Police agencies buy pepper spray the same way they buy guns, based on a million factors, often factors other than what's the very best. For the most part they want something that will distract the thug during handcuffing and wear off before they get to the station for booking. This typically means weaker forumulas, like Fox Labs, lower OC percentage, fairly high MC's and very high SHU's. You may have similar or different needs, buy accordingly.

Stay away from mace because it is weaker than pepper spray.

Negative. Mace is a brand name, but much like the terms Xerox, Kleenex and so on it's become a catch phrase. Some brands use a CS/OC blend, but that's different (oh, but ever so potent! The downside is most also use a single propellant system, stream delivery and a water based carrier, although Sabre used to make a cone spray OC/CS blend...they stopped putting it out in 2004 IIRC). IMO other than the Mace brand Take Down Pepper Gel Mace brands are underpowered, but they are generally decent performers in my experience.

Oh, and buy an inert trainer so that she can target practice, all the reputable brands I've seen offer them. They spray the same as pepper spray, just without the active ingredient (OC). She should be able to hit the center circle of a paper plate at 10-15 feet or so with most brands, which is about the size of the target area on the face (eyes, nose and mouth).

Another fan of Sabre Red here. A readily available alternative is the 70 gm Sabre that is sold at BassPro (and I think ZHA carries it as well) . . . only down side is that I do NOT like the "safety" on it and it would likely be problematic in a purse.

As GSG stated, even with an FID/LTC, it is illegal to possess on school/college property UNLESS you get written permission from whoever is in charge of the college (extremely unlikely unless the person has already been attacked and survived)!

Buried in the archives here is the story about numerous people being prosecuted successfully at a major college in Boston for carrying OC! I worked for that college's PD as a PT'r for a number of years and the prosecutor (recently retired) is a good friend of mine.

A lot of good info here everyone. I can't believe she can't carry on campus.
Is there anything she can have on her?

Hornet/Wasp spray or oven cleaner. Some police departments even suggest this. Larger can, cheaper price.

As GSG stated, even with an FID/LTC, it is illegal to possess on school/college property UNLESS you get written permission from whoever is in charge of the college (extremely unlikely unless the person has already been attacked and survived)!

There's been a couple of college students here on NES with FID's or LTC's who got permission to carry OC on their college campus. I don't have the time right now, but if anyone interested I could drudge up the threads, I remember a few of the usernames. If she doesn't mind the attention that it may draw to her, then I'd suggest going that route so that she can at least have something with her.

Is there anything she can have on her?

Without permission from the school, no. Anything that can be considered a dangerous weapon is a no no. The law, MGL 269-10(j), is very vague and written to favor the school, not the individual.

Because you're in MA, state law considers pepper spray to be ammunition, so you can only purchase it through FFL's in state according to the AG. Most people won't ship it here...

One more thing. If you find any business that ships pepper spray to Mass., don't post it publicly on this forum or anywhere else.

There's been a couple of college students here on NES with FID's or LTC's who got permission to carry OC on their college campus. I don't have the time right now, but if anyone interested I could drudge up the threads, I remember a few of the usernames. If she doesn't mind the attention that it may draw to her, then I'd suggest going that route so that she can at least have something with her.

I am one of those college students. I go to Umass Amherst and have an LTC-A and got written permission from the Umass Deputy Police Chief to carry pepper spray on campus. Because "dangerous weapon" is so subjective I figured I'd ask first, and apparently my Chief believes it is a dangerous weapon since he mentioned that 269.10j applies here. He gave me written permission without asking why specifically I wanted it. I have not been a victim of crime before I asked him so its not like I had a specific need for it... other than the 25,000 college kids in one campus on a Friday night

Anyway, one night the cops took it from me (apparently you're not allowed to bring it to school-run functions where they pat you down, so a Sergeant was nice enough to hold it for me at the station) and when I went back to get it after the school thing the station officer wasn't very happy. He wanted to see the written permission and then said the permission lets me have it but not use it, and that I'd be in alot of trouble if I did use it. That annoyed and confused me so the next day I called the Chief to ask about it. The Deputy Chief called me back after I left a message and we talked for a few minutes about it. He said that having written permission covered having it and using it and that with 62 officers there are 62 different interpretations of the laws. He sent me another email after that being much more clear giving me permission to use it and said that will suffice to show future officers in the email. He also said he'd talk to the officers about it to let them know students' rights. It was kind of surprising coming from an officer at such a liberal anti-gun school (they won't let me start an air rifling team cause it involves "rifles").

But I guess the point is that it doesn't hurt to ask because you certainly aren't getting permission if you remain quiet; and to some Chiefs/officers you need permission to have it.

I am one of those college students. I go to Umass Amherst and have an LTC-A and got written permission from the Umass Deputy Police Chief to carry pepper spray on campus. Because "dangerous weapon" is so subjective I figured I'd ask first, and apparently my Chief believes it is a dangerous weapon since he mentioned that 269.10j applies here. He gave me written permission without asking why specifically I wanted it. I have not been a victim of crime before I asked him so its not like I had a specific need for it... other than the 25,000 college kids in one campus on a Friday night

Anyway, one night the cops took it from me (apparently you're not allowed to bring it to school-run functions where they pat you down, so a Sergeant was nice enough to hold it for me at the station) and when I went back to get it after the school thing the station officer wasn't very happy. He wanted to see the written permission and then said the permission lets me have it but not use it, and that I'd be in alot of trouble if I did use it. That annoyed and confused me so the next day I called the Chief to ask about it. The Deputy Chief called me back after I left a message and we talked for a few minutes about it. He said that having written permission covered having it and using it and that with 62 officers there are 62 different interpretations of the laws. He sent me another email after that being much more clear giving me permission to use it and said that will suffice to show future officers in the email. He also said he'd talk to the officers about it to let them know students' rights. It was kind of surprising coming from an officer at such a liberal anti-gun school (they won't let me start an air rifling team cause it involves "rifles").

But I guess the point is that it doesn't hurt to ask because you certainly aren't getting permission if you remain quiet; and to some Chiefs/officers you need permission to have it.

I'm not surprised that the PD was confused. There's a ton of crappy legal info on their website, I posted about it elsewhere, I'm linking to it below.

But it also looks like at least one MA school gives their students astonishingly bad legal info on this subject.

http://www.umass.edu/umpd/alerts/safetybulletins/

There's so much incorrect info there I don't know where to begin. But suffice to say, bring anything that appears slightly dangerous onto school grounds, you're probably going to get arrested.

[thinking]

well yes As i have been reading the laws are strickt with even the pepper spray as firearms and ammunition... as a girl I can honestly say thaat i f you have her carry either a can on hair spray or maybe air freshener that will work well too...pepper spray may be stronger but hair sparay will also work well...It also isnt under any stupid restrictions the way ammunition and firearms are for being around on school grounds or federal property life post offices or other places! By the way if she is going to be going in this area for regular visits then i would consider applying for a license in the area. it would be a little easier and also keep your mind at peace knowing she can be packing away while she is out! :)....hope I helped!

Don't forget, there are open bills, with FAVORABLE APPROVAL waiting to go to vote!

Pepper Spray bills

+1 for getting the word out there.

CALL your representative/senator, and tell them to release these bills for a vote! Just because 2259 might not go through does NOT mean we have to lose everything! CALL CALL CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom