• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any sources for 38-55 Win ammo?

pinefd

NES Member
Just wondering if anyone knows of any sources for 38-55 Win ammo, for not too rapey prices? I'm seeing a couple of places on Ammoseek selling it for $2.75/rd., but would love to find it for cheaper. And BTW, I'm not in MA, so I can purchase from just about anywhere that will ship.

Also, I should add, since I'm sure some of you may be thinking this...I don't currently reload, and don't have any reloading equipment or supplies, so this isn't an option at this time, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

38-55 pre rape price was still rape

anyhow buffalo arms usually has all those old cool straightwall lead slinger stuff.

you could probably get into reloding for it for about the cost of a box or 2.

38-55 pre rape price was still rape

anyhow buffalo arms usually has all those old cool straightwall lead slinger stuff.

you could probably get into reloding for it for about the cost of a box or 2.

Thanks, that's good to know that these rape-like prices are just a continuation of what it was before...I think?!?!? Not exactly sure I wanted to hear that, but it's helpful, since this caliber is brand new to me.

And good suggestion with regard to Buffalo Arms. I wasn't familiar with them. They're currently out of stock, but I signed up to be notified if, and when they get any more in.

Frank

Thanks, that's good to know that these rape-like prices are just a continuation of what it was before...I think?!?!? Not exactly sure I wanted to hear that, but it's helpful, since this caliber is brand new to me.

And good suggestion with regard to Buffalo Arms. I wasn't familiar with them. They're currently out of stock, but I signed up to be notified if, and when they get any more in.

Frank
Buffalo has always been more expensive but they “usually” have more to offer for the older guns/carts.
I know a few guys that shoot some of those odd cals in late 1800 target rifles and its always $1.50 or more round

Thanks, Mac! Very useful stuff. You're right with regard to reloading. If I end up wanting to use this gun a fair amount, it likely will be well worth it in the long run to invest in some reloading equipment.

Frank

You can get a single stage press from Lee for next to nothing. I used one for well over 10 years before I finally snapped it.

I may have some of that ammo in a bunch of stuff I bought from an estate sale, I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

You can get a single stage press from Lee for next to nothing. I used one for well over 10 years before I finally snapped it.

I may have some of that ammo in a bunch of stuff I bought from an estate sale, I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Awesome, thanks! Much appreciated!

Frank

Thanks, Mac! Very useful stuff. You're right with regard to reloading. If I end up wanting to use this gun a fair amount, it likely will be well worth it in the long run to invest in some reloading equipment.

Frank
Even if you only shoot it for fun, it will only get harder to find and more expensive

This press is fine for straight wall stuff. My friend scored it on sale on amazon for $29
The next step is lee classic at $70

Last edited:
Even if you only shoot it for fun, it will only get harder to find and more expensive

This press is fine for straight wall stuff. My friend scored it on sale on amazon for $29
The next step is lee classic at $70

Thanks so much, that's very helpful. Considering that I shoot other calibers a lot more than I expect to shoot 38-55, I think I would be much better off buying a press that will work well with a variety of calibers.

I guess I have a lot of reading, watching and overall learning to do about reloading, since I know absolutely nada about it, and about what I'll need for equipment and supplies. For example, with regard to supplies, I don't have a clue about what kind of primers I'll need for what calibers, what kind of powder to use, etc.

So for the time being, I'll have to use some restraint on how much ammo I buy, and use for this new gun...until I can get up and running with reloading. Otherwise, I'll go broke!

Thanks again,

Frank

Thanks so much, that's very helpful. Considering that I shoot other calibers a lot more than I expect to shoot 38-55, I think I would be much better off buying a press that will work well with a variety of calibers.

I guess I have a lot of reading, watching and overall learning to do about reloading, since I know absolutely nada about it, and about what I'll need for equipment and supplies. For example, with regard to supplies, I don't have a clue about what kind of primers I'll need for what calibers, what kind of powder to use, etc.

So for the time being, I'll have to use some restraint on how much ammo I buy, and use for this new gun...until I can get up and running with reloading. Otherwise, I'll go broke!

Thanks again,

Frank
Theres plenty of books, even the local library had reloading manuals when I started

Thanks again,

Frank

You can load any caliber with that press. I used it for a bunch of different pistol calibers as well as bottleneck and straight walled rifle calibers. Nothing fancier needed.

I hope to be stopping by Shooting Supply, in Westport, tomorrow, to see if maybe I can pick up some reloading equipment. Depends a lot on how much I'll need to invest.

Meanwhile, here's the new member of the family that I need to feed:

full

full

full

Frank

@pinefd you can also buy pretty much everything you need except primers, powder and bullets from Amazon.

Well, the good news is that I was able to pick up everything I needed today at Shooting Supply to do some reloading...except for primers, powder and bullets. Because the shop is in MA, and I live in RI, they couldn't sell me those things, unfortunately. I'm able to purchase those things online and have them shipped to me here in RI, but the problem is finding them. I also need to figure out exactly what I need as well, first. I know that I need large rifle primers, but don't know exactly what I need bullet and powder-wise. So if anyone has any suggestions on where I might find these things online, it would be helpful!

Thanks for all the help!

Frank

I only know a little about the 38-55 because one of my friends picked up one like this about a year ago.
Came with brass and a few bullets.
Hes using H4895 and trailboss with a 250gn cast bullet, IIRC its a NOE mold

View: https://youtu.be/EC1vkJd6fes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom