• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any squirrel hunters out there?

I meant normal rats. Does no season mean no hunting, or you can hunt any time?
Rats have no season, no bag limit and no methods of take literally anywhere because.... well, they are frigging rats. Pull up to a dump and get blasting. I think *technically* some states require you to have a license and since MA is mega-statist I think you probably do but NO ONE is going to freak out over popping wood rats out of a tree.

I meant normal rats. Does no season mean no hunting, or you can hunt any time?
I think it means no hunting.

Pg 18 of the 2022 Abstracts says "OPEN AND CLOSED HUNTING SEASONS: The following species may be taken year round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, and woodchuck.
During shotgun deer season all game hunting seasons are closed statewide except for deer, bear, coyote, and waterfowl."

Pg 20 then lists first under Prohibitions: "Hunting, trapping or fishing for any birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, or amphibians not listed within this Guide or in the Massachusetts Migratory Game Bird Regulations"

Sounds really stupid, but that's par for the course. I'd shoot them anyway, just say you thought they were chipmunks.

They ain't deer but I have an immense amount of gun going after the Grays up here in New Hampshire.

Anyone else a small game hunter here?
View attachment 640037
You have to read the book “How to Become a Master Squirrel Hunter”. Just kidding. That is the worst book I have ever read on any subject. I only keep it around for comedic value and to show it off to other people.

Today looks like a great day for squirrel. I’m going to try to sneak out this afternoon. It’s been too damn windy this week at least where I hunt. I’ve seen nothing.
It was dead calm and 36 degrees at sunup. Perfect squirrel hunting weather can hear em cutting nuts from 50 yards away and close in on them. I had the first 3 on the ground in a half hour.

It’s something I would like to get into. I have a Marlin 782, scoped but don’t really know where to get started (in Seekonk, just east of PROV, RI) Grew up taking critters off the back deck with a .177

I swear something ate all of the squirrels on the property I hunt. Or the bird feeders in the neighborhood are too well stocked.
Multiple trips back to the spot I always hunt with zero squirrels. All times of day. I’m going to take up knitting.

It’s something I would like to get into. I have a Marlin 782, scoped but don’t really know where to get started (in Seekonk, just east of PROV, RI) Grew up taking critters off the back deck with a .177
Start on just about any wma property that has hardwood stands.

I swear something ate all of the squirrels on the property I hunt. Or the bird feeders in the neighborhood are too well stocked.
Multiple trips back to the spot I always hunt with zero squirrels. All times of day. I’m going to take up knitting.
Went out again this morning for an hour no squirrels. Went into some regrows on a public land spot that has lots of rabbit......busted 3......missed all 3 😁

Those f***ers are fast.

Went out again this morning for an hour no squirrels. Went into some regrows on a public land spot that has lots of rabbit......busted 3......missed all 3 😁

Those f***ers are fast.
Yeah they are! A couple years ago while hunting quail in AZ I had one shoot by me at about Mach 7. I managed to roll it over with a load of 6s.

Back
Top Bottom