Any takers for the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2021

76Too

NES Member
I just called in and reserved my barracks bed for August 6-8 (6143366214 if anyone needs to do so...reservations just opened up this morning at 8am, so there should still be plenty of openings.)

I’m registered for Vintage/Springfield/Garand/M1A and Vintage Sniper...no Modern Military because I figure I’d definitely be ‘out-gunned’ and I’m not really caring enough at this point to purpose build a <7.5lb free-float AR just to meet the ever changing rules of the cucks at CMP.

I’m still really put off by their decision to cancel last years events, but what can we do, I guess? I’ve never been to a large scale CMP match, so it’ll be interesting to see what it’s like if nothing else.

I’m admittedly kind of ‘forcing’ myself to go...I lost a lot of motivation/momentum last year. I was ready to rock with a good service rifle (flat top) upper from White Oak Armory that @dw617 steered me toward as well as a full basic/budget gear setup, and LOTS of practice with my iron sight NM AR going into the season. I’ve since built myself another lower with a weighted A2 stock and a Geisselle Hi-Speed NM set at precisely 4.5lbs break, but I haven’t even sighted it in with the budget Helos BTR 4.5x yet.

For some reason this year I barely even want to go to the range. I’m just hoping I get out of this slump soon and start getting out on the firing line again so I don’t embarrass myself when it comes time to compete. I do luckily have some ‘local(ish)’ High Power matches at my range out here in Indiana with a few guys that frequent Camp Perry, so hopefully that will be enough to at least get me ready...the shooters aren’t quite to the level of OCSA CMP competitors (Pembroke, MA), but they’re in the ball park and somewhat challenging to compete against.

So is anyone else gearing up to head to Camp Perry this year? What matches are you planning on competing in? Where are you planning on staying? Most importantly, what are you doing to get ready?

Last edited:
Good luck and I hope you have fun, I will be back to finish getting my points with bullseye pistol, it just wont be this year.

The CMP has gone pretty retarded with all this china flu crap.

The Update You’ve Been Waiting For: CMP’S 2021 National Matches

In summary:
- No First Shot Ceremony
- Socially-distanced check-in, with limited numbers in the building
- Squadding at half-capacity with competitors placed every-other firing point
- No Awards Ceremony

IMO the awards ceremony is the best part.

Good luck and I hope you have fun, I will be back to finish getting my points with bullseye pistol, it just wont be this year.

The CMP has gone pretty retarded with all this china flu crap.

The Update You’ve Been Waiting For: CMP’S 2021 National Matches

In summary:
- No First Shot Ceremony
- Socially-distanced check-in, with limited numbers in the building
- Squadding at half-capacity with competitors placed every-other firing point
- No Awards Ceremony

IMO the awards ceremony is the best part.

Holy mackerel...that’s a lot of baggage. I was wondering why the relays were selling out so fast!

I was pretty hesitant to even sign up due to the nonsensical garbage they pulled last year. I’m just lucky I held off signing up because I had a funny feeling they were going to pull the matches.

Thank you for the link and the well-wishes. I’ll update here with any progress/equipment updates for feedback from those of you that have been there before.

I'll be there from Saturday 31JUL leaving Sunday 8AUG. Staying off base. GF is coming with me and she'll be shooting too.

Monday Presidents 100
Tuesday NTI
Wednesday Hearst Doubles
Thursday, day off
Friday, hoping to shoot rattle battle with my club. Also signed up for one of the games matches later in the day.
Saturday, 2 Games matches. For the Games I'm bringing my Garand, 03A3 and Colt SP1.

@76Too, why aren't you shooting the high power matches earlier in the week?

Prep, shoot as much as you can locally. Take good notes and show up to perry with good dope. Make sure you have a good cart too. You do not want to be hauling a days worth of stuff on your back.

Hopefully this covid BS winds down by July/August.

@76Too, why aren't you shooting the high power matches earlier...

Mainly lack of confidence/experience...I don’t feel like I’m anywhere near ready to play with you and the big boys!

I haven’t shot a single match since last summer because life has thrown me a few curve balls (as it did to everyone last year). I’m trying to put a boot in my own ass, but my leg doesn’t bend that way! Hopefully I get out of this funk here soon and get back on the horse.

I REALLY need some trigger time behing the WOA service rifle flat top with the Helos because I’m barely proficient with ANY optic other than an ACOG. I’m still using 24gr of Varget behind 77gr HPBT Nosler CC’s and they seem to be doing the trick, so thank you for the recipe!

I’m going to try and get out to my club range in the next few weeks and do some sighting in/practice of the Helos at 200 and 300. If it goes well and there’s still a few spots left at Perry for the EIC match, I’ll certainly consider signing up at that point and just make it a ‘day trip’...drive up the night prior and stay in my VW Vanagon at a campground or rest area...shoot the match the next morning and drive home (3.5hrs for me, so not too bad).

IDK, I mean get out there and have fun. If you do come out earlier in the week, shoot the P100 and the NTI. You can use the P100 as a practice run for the NTI. Not just for shooting, you'll see how the pits and relays work too.

P100 is a 30 round course of fire: 10 rounds standing @ 200; 10 round rapid fire prone string @ 300; 10 round slow fire string @ 600. No sitting .

NTI is the normal 50 round national match course. 10 standing / 10 rapid sitting @ 200, 10 rapid prone @ 3, 20 slow fire @ 600.

I just called in and reserved my barracks bed for August 6-8 (6143366214 if anyone needs to do so...reservations just opened up this morning at 8am, so there should still be plenty of openings.)

I’m registered for Vintage/Springfield/Garand/M1A and Vintage Sniper...no Modern Military because I figure I’d definitely be ‘out-gunned’ and I’m not really caring enough at this point to purpose build a <7.5lb free-float AR just to meet the ever changing rules of the cucks at CMP.

I’m still really put off by their decision to cancel last years events, but what can we do, I guess? I’ve never been to a large scale CMP match, so it’ll be interesting to see what it’s like if nothing else.

I’m admittedly kind of ‘forcing’ myself to go...I lost a lot of motivation/momentum last year. I was ready to rock with a good service rifle (flat top) upper from White Oak Armory that @dw617 steered me toward as well as a full basic/budget gear setup, and LOTS of practice with my iron sight NM AR going into the season. I’ve since built myself another lower with a weighted A2 stock and a Geisselle Hi-Speed NM set at precisely 4.5lbs break, but I haven’t even sighted it in with the budget Helos BTR 4.5x yet.

For some reason this year I barely even want to go to the range. I’m just hoping I get out of this slump soon and start getting out on the firing line again so I don’t embarrass myself when it comes time to compete. I do luckily have some ‘local(ish)’ High Power matches at my range out here in Indiana with a few guys that frequent Camp Perry, so hopefully that will be enough to at least get me ready...the shooters aren’t quite to the level of OCSA CMP competitors (Pembroke, MA), but they’re in the ball park and somewhat challenging to compete against.

So is anyone else gearing up to head to Camp Perry this year? What matches are you planning on competing in? Where are you planning on staying? Most importantly, what are you doing to get ready?
knock that shit off, shut up and shoot and you better post good scores.... OCSA trained you well.
Some will be living vicariously through you!

Mainly lack of confidence/experience...I don’t feel like I’m anywhere near ready to play with you and the big boys!

I haven’t shot a single match since last summer because life has thrown me a few curve balls (as it did to everyone last year). I’m trying to put a boot in my own ass, but my leg doesn’t bend that way! Hopefully I get out of this funk here soon and get back on the horse.

I REALLY need some trigger time behing the WOA service rifle flat top with the Helos because I’m barely proficient with ANY optic other than an ACOG. I’m still using 24gr of Varget behind 77gr HPBT Nosler CC’s and they seem to be doing the trick, so thank you for the recipe!

I’m going to try and get out to my club range in the next few weeks and do some sighting in/practice of the Helos at 200 and 300. If it goes well and there’s still a few spots left at Perry for the EIC match, I’ll certainly consider signing up at that point and just make it a ‘day trip’...drive up the night prior and stay in my VW Vanagon at a campground or rest area...shoot the match the next morning and drive home (3.5hrs for me, so not too bad).
Eat a F ucking Crayon and get out there!
223/24g varget = any bullet 50-77 gns should do better than we can hold.

2 months since last post. a lot of states have lifted all restrictions. any word if perry is abiding by the new liftings?
All firing positions now open, but last I saw no camping and modified awards ceremonies. Certainly not 100% back to normal.

Pretty pumped about the upcoming nationals. Messed up my score with the 1903 last match but hadn't shot it in competition for a long time and was good to work out the kinks. Accuracy was good, just some user error. However, shot a 282-2 with the M1 for the extra shiny trinket. Prior match shot a 289-7 but some Ma**h*** had to go and shoot a 293! Damn Yankees [rofl], no gold for Bubba.

Anyway, getting close...

Pretty pumped about the upcoming nationals. Messed up my score with the 1903 last match but hadn't shot it in competition for a long time and was good to work out the kinks. Accuracy was good, just some user error. However, shot a 282-2 with the M1 for the extra shiny trinket. Prior match shot a 289-7 but some Ma**h*** had to go and shoot a 293! Damn Yankees [rofl], no gold for Bubba.

Anyway, getting close...
Kidding aside, 293 is an awesome score regardless, but even more impressive with a M1A rather than with an AR.

Y'all have your rifles & loads ready? I'm all set for the M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, and M14. Given the time and money involved to go, here's a check list I should but don't always follow for local matches. Anything to add?
  • The usual stuff- rifles, spotting scope, shooting jacket, sweatshirt for under jacket, shooting mat, shooting glasses w/ a +0.5 flip lens, small clipboard, pen, and pencil.
  • Extra SLED for the Garand.
  • Extra loaded clip / mag for rapids, in case Murphy follows me and causes me to dump a bunch of rounds during the reload.
  • Check all the screws / bolts / sight knobs on the rifles to ensure tight.
  • Spots on the cart to securely hold 2 rifles. I hear no time to go back to vehicle if shooting 2 relays same day.
  • Cleaning rod secured to the cart in case of stuck case / round.
  • Bore light.
  • Drinks and food with the cart, assuming little time between relays.
  • Tightened & Loctite the cart bolts.
  • Waterproof cover for the cart with all gear on it. I'm using a space blanket sleeping bag- cheap and lightweight but relatively tough and bright f-ing orange.
  • Leatherman tool.
  • Sights smoker.
  • Extra sling.
  • Extra hearing protection & fresh batteries in the headset.
  • Digital kitchen timer and install fresh batteries.
  • Small roll of Gorilla Tape duct tape.
  • Just in case of a spill, marking the base of my neck sized 1903 rounds red so that I don't mix them up and try to jam one in the Garand (done that). Mark base of other rounds blue to ID them when picking up or to bust brass rats if any show up.
  • Check rear sight peeps for fuzz or other gunk. My eyes do a good enough job of putting cobwebs on the sight picture.

Y'all have your rifles & loads ready? I'm all set for the M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, and M14. Given the time and money involved to go, here's a check list I should but don't always follow for local matches. Anything to add?
  • The usual stuff- rifles, spotting scope, shooting jacket, sweatshirt for under jacket, shooting mat, shooting glasses w/ a +0.5 flip lens, small clipboard, pen, and pencil.
  • Extra SLED for the Garand.
  • Extra loaded clip / mag for rapids, in case Murphy follows me and causes me to dump a bunch of rounds during the reload.
  • Check all the screws / bolts / sight knobs on the rifles to ensure tight.
  • Spots on the cart to securely hold 2 rifles. I hear no time to go back to vehicle if shooting 2 relays same day.
  • Cleaning rod secured to the cart in case of stuck case / round.
  • Bore light.
  • Drinks and food with the cart, assuming little time between relays.
  • Tightened & Loctite the cart bolts.
  • Waterproof cover for the cart with all gear on it. I'm using a space blanket sleeping bag- cheap and lightweight but relatively tough and bright f-ing orange.
  • Leatherman tool.
  • Sights smoker.
  • Extra sling.
  • Extra hearing protection & fresh batteries in the headset.
  • Digital kitchen timer and install fresh batteries.
  • Small roll of Gorilla Tape duct tape.
  • Just in case of a spill, marking the base of my neck sized 1903 rounds red so that I don't mix them up and try to jam one in the Garand (done that). Mark base of other rounds blue to ID them when picking up or to bust brass rats if any show up.
  • Check rear sight peeps for fuzz or other gunk. My eyes do a good enough job of putting cobwebs on the sight picture.
Sunscreen.

Well, it’s looking more and more like I’m ACTUALLY going through with this...even though I’ve barely shot all year.

My 30-06 rifles are all holding the black with the same generic load for my Garand (didn’t make time to work up loads for individual rifles like I had originally planned) and I think I found a ‘good enough’ load for the M1A.

It really sucks living 1.5hrs away from my range...I pack up my rifles some weekends and just decide I don’t feel like driving and put everything back in the safe.

Anyway...hopefully everything just ‘works out’ and I still manage to have fun, but I’m definitely not counting on any spectacular scores. I’m kind of ‘forcing’ myself to go at this point in hopes that it gets me back on a tear like before covid.

I’m currently in MA for my moms wedding, and not traveling back to IN for at least a week. Hoping to get in a day of practice before the matches though maybe.

@Mountain, are you driving to OH?

p.s. thanks for the check list...I’m going to add condoms just in case it rains (to keep rain from getting in my muzzles.)

p.p.s. what’s with the kitchen timer?

Well, it’s looking more and more like I’m ACTUALLY going through with this...even though I’ve barely shot all year.

My 30-06 rifles are all holding the black with the same generic load for my Garand (didn’t make time to work up loads for individual rifles like I had originally planned) and I think I found a ‘good enough’ load for the M1A.

It really sucks living 1.5hrs away from my range...I pack up my rifles some weekends and just decide I don’t feel like driving and put everything back in the safe.

Anyway...hopefully everything just ‘works out’ and I still manage to have fun, but I’m definitely not counting on any spectacular scores. I’m kind of ‘forcing’ myself to go at this point in hopes that it gets me back on a tear like before covid.

I’m currently in MA for my moms wedding, and not traveling back to IN for at least a week. Hoping to get in a day of practice before the matches though maybe.

@Mountain, are you driving to OH?

p.s. thanks for the check list...I’m going to add condoms just in case it rains (to keep rain from getting in my muzzles.)

p.p.s. what’s with the kitchen timer?
Yeah, we are driving to OH and staying on the water nearby. Mrs. Mountain coming along.

Have you seen the rectangular digital timers sometimes used by the guys calling the match? I started using one so that I can pace myself and not run out of time.

If you are in the Worcester area on the weekend, give me a shout / send a text.

P.S. - Is keeping rain from getting in my muzzles some sort of euphemism? [laugh]

We'll probably be gone by the time you tree-gun shooters show up, but if you see SFC Bartman and myself, say hello.
View attachment 504226
Good luck!

You use a peep on that front scope cover? I have one of the Ray Vin covers w/ the peep but haven't shot high power since getting it. I did shoot some offhand matches. I know I'm not fully accustomed to the scope as there is no difference in my scores vs. irons and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I shoot irons w/ a +0.5 lens.

I don't think you'll get many crossfires in the Legos gun matches but I won't be surprised if the tree gun crowd generates a few. We'll see what the attendance is like this year but in the records I've seen over 800 people in the JC Garand Match. Big numbers in the other categories, but JC Garand is the most popular. If I do decently, I may split 2022 between tree guns and taking a crack at leg points.

Pat, I might run into you there for P100, NTI.

I'm bringing 2 pairs of boots in case we get soaked one day.

Edit, don't forget safety glasses. New rule from last year. Argh.

@Mountain, don't forget a backpack/bag to bring to the pits with you with water, food, etc. Didn't see one on your list.

Last edited:

@Mountain, don't forget a backpack/bag to bring to the pits with you with water, food, etc. Didn't see one on your list.
Thanks! Good idea regarding boots. Long term forecast looks like highs in the low to mid 80's and not calling for rain, but right on the lake we know how accurate forecasts will be.

Good luck!

You use a peep on that front scope cover? I have one of the Ray Vin covers w/ the peep but haven't shot high power since getting it. I did shoot some offhand matches. I know I'm not fully accustomed to the scope as there is no difference in my scores vs. irons and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I shoot irons w/ a +0.5 lens.

I don't think you'll get many crossfires in the Legos gun matches but I won't be surprised if the tree gun crowd generates a few. We'll see what the attendance is like this year but in the records I've seen over 800 people in the JC Garand Match. Big numbers in the other categories, but JC Garand is the most popular. If I do decently, I may split 2022 between tree guns and taking a crack at leg points.
I use a lens with a hole in it on the eyepiece end. The White Oak scope that I'm using has adjustable parallax so in theory, it's not needed, but I think it keeps my head in a consistent position. That can't be bad.
I punched out a rare (for me) High Master score last week in Scarborough, but I still haven't equalled my scores from when I shot irons. 600yd line numbers are up, but my rapids totally stuck with the scope.

I think there's MORE crossfires with the scopes: people tend to concentrate more on the dot and less on their number board.

How come I didn't see you down at Reading for the MA SR Championship?

Maureen said it's 70 degrees and windy today at CP. That ought to play hell with the smallbore crowd. Maybe it will dry out the range.

How come I didn't see you down at Reading for the MA SR Championship?

Maureen said it's 70 degrees and windy today at CP. That ought to play hell with the smallbore crowd. Maybe it will dry out the range.

Had a conflict for Saturday, shot the Leg match there on Sunday.

Checked into our Uber condo this afternoon. Very scenic. View attachment 505690
Could be worse...

s-l300.jpg

Kidding aside, how's the weather? Wind?

The events are really spread out- I won't arrive for the vintage termite food rifles until a week from Friday.

Back
Top Bottom