Any Tips for Bass Fishing?

From a canoe I like to live line shiners. No bobber just dorsal hook and toss em out around stumps and downed trees.

I am very tempted to look at a canoe or kayak to get myself off the bank when fishing, but of course that would snowball into needing a way to get the wife and kid out on the water also as they wouldn't take kindly to me being the only one having fun in the midde of the water.

Also, have to determine if part of my struggle is from going to the same places as everyone in Haverhill for bass fishing. Somtimes going to Plug Pond or Round Pond sometimes it is almost shoulder to shoulder people all throwing lines in the water.

A bit of a self fulfiling probem if I go to the same places that everyone knows and then don't get a bite like everyoneelse lined up.

I am very tempted to look at a canoe or kayak to get myself off the bank when fishing, but of course that would snowball into needing a way to get the wife and kid out on the water also as they wouldn't take kindly to me being the only one having fun in the midde of the water.

Also, have to determine if part of my struggle is from going to the same places as everyone in Haverhill for bass fishing. Somtimes going to Plug Pond or Round Pond sometimes it is almost shoulder to shoulder people all throwing lines in the water.

A bit of a self fulfiling probem if I go to the same places that everyone knows and then don't get a bite like everyoneelse lined up.
Get a canoe. You won't be sorry. It's great to take the wife and kid out there. I have a Radisson canoe and love the thing. We canoed the Concord river last weekend.

If your in the haverhill area Johnsons pond on Groveland is awesome in a canoe. So is Millvale

Get a canoe. You won't be sorry. It's great to take the wife and kid out there. I have a Radisson canoe and love the thing. We canoed the Concord river last weekend.

If your in the haverhill area Johnsons pond on Groveland is awesome in a canoe. So is Millvale

I have had poor luck at Millvale lately targeting from the bank but I bet it would be good in a canoe.

I am about 5 minutes from there.

Shiners. For lure I like Rappala rattlers or any bright colored spinner bait.

EDC33744-758D-4727-B2FC-DA2AA93CE883.jpeg

Honestly the best bait ever was hooking tiny bluegill and using them as bait

Last edited:
If you want to try spinners, these are fairly cheap and work really well on bass or all kinds and pickerel. Mepps comet minnow and black fury. I’ve had a lot of luck over the years and these are my go to lures.

View attachment 637492View attachment 637493
Mepps makes the best in line spinners.

Also if you like squirrel hunting mepps has a program to ship them squirrel tails in exchange for credit toward mepps tackle. There are adds in the furr fin game magazine on how to get in the program. You'll never make any money but.....its something to do with some spare time in the fall if you want to squirrel hunt.

Shiners. For lure I like Rappala rattlers or any bright colored spinner bait.

View attachment 637542

Honestly the best bait ever was hooking tiny bluegill and using them as bait
Note that bluegill are not legal for bait in mAss, but pumpkinseed are GTG:

(8) Taking, Sale, Importation, and Use of Baitfish.

(a) Definitions:
Baitfish means only live or dead fish of the following species. A person shall not use as bait any fish, alive or dead, including parts thereof, except the baitfish listed in 321 CMR 4.01(8)(a)1 through 10.

1. White sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
2. Banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus)
3. Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)
4. Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)
5. Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas)
6. Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax), only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01, Table 1.
7. Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)
8. Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis)
9. Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)
10. Herring (Clupea spp.) may be used as bait in the Connecticut River, Merrimack River, and coastal rivers and streams, only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01: Table 1 and 322 CMR, but may not be possessed or used as bait in other rivers and streams, or in lakes, ponds, or reservoirs.

Commercial Baitfish means only live or dead fish of the following species lawfully imported into the Commonwealth, or propagated within the Commonwealth for purposes of sale as baitfish:

1. White sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
2. Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)
3. Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas)
4. Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)

Baitfish taken from any inland waters of the Commonwealth shall not be considered commercial baitfish, and shall not be sold or offered for sale.

LINK:

Back
Top Bottom